4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

DATE: Saturday, 4th of July
TIME: Opens at 3:00 PM
FIREWORKS: 9:30 PM

Music, Kids Games, VFW Raffle, Door Prizes, Fireworks. We will hold the VFW 50/50 drawing, Raffle, Door Prizes, and have Buddy Poppies for sale.

BUFFET: Mixed Salad, Tomato Salad, Potato Salad, Pasta Salad, Marinated Vegetables.
AMERICAN FOOD: Ribs, Pizza, Hot Dogs, Sausages, Eggplant Parmesan, Macaroni Cheese, Chicken Wings, Chicken Kebab, American Burger, Chips, Fries, Onion Rings, Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, and Pickles.
NACHO BAR: Salsa, Sour Cream, Cheese Sauce, and Beans
DESSERT: Apple Pie, Carrot Cake, and Chocolate Cake
ICE CREAM BAR: Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry
ADULTS DRINKS: 4 domestic beers or soft drinks or 2 wines or imported beer
CHILDREN DRINKS: 2 soft drinks

Tickets are discounted for VFW Members and their Family
Adult Price: 1,000 baht
Children Price: 500 baht

Non-Member Price
Adults: 1,200 baht
Children: 600 baht

The follow VFW Post members are selling Tickets

post-83286-0-22825000-1434357652_thumb.j

Edited by Rimmer
email and phone number removed as per forum rules, please use PM function thank you

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jarhead50200!

Tickets are also discounted similarly for members of Chiang Mai Expats Club (CEC) and their families. 1000 baht for adults/500 baht for children. CEC is providing support for the fireworks. CEC members can purchase their tickets at Breakfast Club at River Market Restaurant, 9:30 am - 11:30 am, this Friday, June 5, June 19 and July 3. Discounted tickets will also be available at the CEC General Meeting at Le Meridien Hotel on Saturday morning, 27 June, arrive 10 am for 10:30 start for the meeting.

Please come early for the 4th of July party. There are several bands, with a great "warm up" band, The Chalado Band starting at 3 pm, Thai musicians playing California music from the 60s and 70s. It's followed by The Chiang Mai International Rotary Club leading games for the entire family and the VFW's great raffle and 50/50 draw.. By that time, you'll be ready for the huge buffet, described in great detail by Jarhead50200 and to dance to the Aussie John Experience.

Fun for the entire family and for everyone from all nations.

As kindergarten children are as young as 2 yrs old (not 5 or 6, that's grade school) and they aren't really going to eat much or get the full experience.

So for a family with a 4 kids, say 1 yr old, a 3 yr old, a 5 yr old and 9 yr old it would cost 4800 bht. No problem if this is the case, I didn't say they shouldn't TheAppletons, I was just asking, isn't that one of the purposes of TV? It's an expensive outing especially as 2 of the group will be eating maybe a hot dog each and maybe the third just a little more.

Went to one of the 4th parties at River Market and enjoyed it, but as the flyer said "families to get together" it's pretty expensive for what they get.

Yes northernjohn, you got me there, I was trying to get myself in for 1/2 price, surprised TheAppletons didn't take me to task on that one too, at least he would have had a valid point.

Maybe a kebab or burger van could set up for business across the river, so I could dine while enjoying the fireworks thumbsup.gif

Is the bus bar still there?, that was my spot last year.

Is that place not like a mossie mecca?

Maybe a kebab or burger van could set up for business across the river, so I could dine while enjoying the fireworks thumbsup.gif

The 7/11 across the river has cheap hot-dogs, beer and a perfect view.

If they set the fire works off on the other side of the river from the River Market you will not have as good a view. The bus bar would give you a better view. Also introduce the kids to the bar scene. clap2.gif

Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?

And if a very immature adult might also be considered for the kid's price? smile.png

Why would they NOT charge for children who are 5 or 6 years old?

Because they take forever to eat through half a hamburger and then fall asleep. So a little different from the food processing capacity of the average expat.

Is the bus bar still there?, that was my spot last year.

Still there. Also a new pizza place is in the process of opening at the same spot at the Iron Bridge. Haven't tried it yet.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?

And if a very immature adult might also be considered for the kid's price? smile.png

Why would they NOT charge for children who are 5 or 6 years old?

Because they take forever to eat through half a hamburger and then fall asleep. So a little different from the food processing capacity of the average expat.

Absolutely....which is why there is a children's priced ticket of 600 thb, half of the price of the adult ticket.

As difficult as it may seem for some of you good folks, one of the ways a place like the RIVER MARKET keeps its doors open is that it has to charge for its services since they "RIVER MARKET" have to buy the food, pay the employees, the electric, the water, the band, the cost of fireworks, etc...,

If you good folks attended this event in your home country, especially the USA, would you get an event that included all you can eat, a live band all day, kids games, fireworks and the ambience of a venue like the ping river for about less than $30 dollars, i dont think so?

Yes I know, too bad we just can't do these for free. I have been involved in the 4th July events for the 6+ years I have lived here and not one time did any of the whiners and complainers ever offer up an alternative event that was for free, and yes in 2010 we did do it almost for free, (300b for all the above and they still whined and complained) about that venue.

So all you economic refugees out there be advised this is the only party in town unless you want to start your own, and yes if you do fireworks you do have to get permits which is a lot more than you would spend at this year's event. You all have a nice day, hope to see you on the 4th July. Stay steady, get a grip on reality, and maybe take some economic courses on how not to bankrupt a business by doing things for free.

My bosses will probably fire me but I feel better that I said this!!!!!! ha ha

The 3rd line of the OP says 9:30

I'll be with MESMITH enjoying the show, I'll bring the burgers, you bring the drinks ok?

JC, come join the Brits on the other side the river. Let the missionaries pay for the fireworks. We can throw some teabags in the river laugh.png

As difficult as it may seem for some of you good folks, one of the ways a place like the RIVER MARKET keeps its doors open is that it has to charge for its services since they "RIVER MARKET" have to buy the food, pay the employees, the electric, the water, the band, the cost of fireworks, etc...,

If you good folks attended this event in your home country, especially the USA, would you get an event that included all you can eat, a live band all day, kids games, fireworks and the ambience of a venue like the ping river for about less than $30 dollars, i dont think so?

Yes I know, too bad we just can't do these for free. I have been involved in the 4th July events for the 6+ years I have lived here and not one time did any of the whiners and complainers ever offer up an alternative event that was for free, and yes in 2010 we did do it almost for free, (300b for all the above and they still whined and complained) about that venue.

So all you economic refugees out there be advised this is the only party in town unless you want to start your own, and yes if you do fireworks you do have to get permits which is a lot more than you would spend at this year's event. You all have a nice day, hope to see you on the 4th July. Stay steady, get a grip on reality, and maybe take some economic courses on how not to bankrupt a business by doing things for free.

As for the economics, wages, rent, food costs, liquor licenses (which can easily go for $1,000,000 in the USA) etc etc are not the same as here so your example is invalid.

I hold a degrees in Economics and the Culinary Arts both from respected institutions in America and owned successful restaurants for 25 yrs so thanks for your ill informed advice with a side of sarcasm.

But what I wanted to mention as I feel this post might be pointed towards me is that I was talking about 2 and 3 yrs old, as I said in post #5, not 5 and 6 yr old's but the response might be the same which I'm fine with which I also previously mentioned.

I enjoyed the 2010 event more then one at River Market as I found it more casual and family oriented and didn't spend half the time waiting at a crowed bar with no bartender to get my pre-paid for drinks.

btw There has been alternative events offered up but with the limited number of Americans and I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.

in 2010 we did do it almost for free, (300b for all the above...)

And now five years later the cost for all of the above has gone from 300b to 1,200b?

Wow! The cost of living must have quadrupled somewhere along the line, and I missed it!

I guess only the rich Americans are invited to celebrate.

Edited by FolkGuitar

And now five years later the cost for all of the above has gone from 300b to 1,200b?

Wow! The cost of living must have quadrupled somewhere along the line, and I missed it!

No, everyone is invited, as long as they pay 1200 Baht (1000 for VFW members).

Sorry but there was no prepaid for drinks at the 2010 event. One of the problems there. Now with the prepay it makes it easy for staff. At the last event that I remember you at, junglechef, you might be surprised to find that your bill upstairs with Gary, was one of the ones left over at the end of the night. Uh Oh, how did that happen? I'm not sure how it happened, just that it did. It's academic at this point and I can't remember if I mentioned it to you but I did to Gary. He said he paid it and I left it at that.

Do the math here. 1200 Baht that included 2-4 drinks, music, entertainment, fireworks and security, taxes and a small tip for the staff. Starting price after tax and 5% service for staff is 1070. 15000 for stage and lighting, 15000 for music and entertainment, 15000 for security, 50000 for fireworks and another 5000 Baht for posters, tickets and incidentals means it cost 100000 baht before the day begins. At 200 people that's 500 per person, (at 300 people that's 330 per person.) Left with 1070-500=570. If you drink 2 of the American craft beers that's another 400. That leaves a whole day of BBQ, games and door prizes for 170 Baht. You're the economist.

Sure it would be great to have a free event where people just showed up and cooked out but there is a lot more involved. Got an alternative? I'd love to not lose money for 1 year. You pay the 100000 Baht and we can have a free event at your house. Personally I'm tired of the whole event and would be glad to be able to take the day off.

That being said the price of the tickets is well below what one would spend at any event in the US. This year's event will be even nicer with a new format. Some groups have paid and/or donated time for the privileged of offering their members a discount. Expat Club and VFW are the two this year. Last year we offered the same deal to ThaiVisa. They did not take us up on the offer. The option is still available for ThaiVisa this year although we have not been as aggressive about finding donations, sponsors and door prizes this year and we have left it mostly up to the VFW. The VFW does make some funds from the raffles and does contribute to the fireworks.

This year;

We will open at 3:00 this year and at 3:30 we have a Thai band of old guys that play surfer music and we will have some snacks like a nacho bar, quesadillas, taquitos, wings and a few other appetizers. They will play till 4:25 when the Rotary will do the kid and adult games till 5:15 or so and then at 5:00 or 5:15 we will do the BBQ and put out the food. All during this time the VFW will be giving out door prizes. Sometime during dinner Nikki from the old Guitar-man will do an acoustic set with one of his friends. The VFW will do some more door prizes. After that The American-Aussie John Experience will do a set of American classics. Then the VFW will give away the grand prizes and we will have the last set by American-Aussie John and the fireworks.

Lots of fun. I don't know the cutoff for the young ones but there is one. Probably 4 and under for free with 2 paying adults. Bring proof of age, passport, birth certificate, house paper and an affidavit from the headman of your village area. All documents should be notarized and certified. With copies please bring the originals and be prepared to have them inspected. See you there.

The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it.

Dave

Edited by theDukes

Did you have an event at River Market in 2010? Think you got the two I'm talking about mixed up.

I left a bill unpaid?? I thought that everything I had was included in the cover charge, but if so please tell me how much, for whomever it was for as i was sitting with quite a few people through out the evening (all friends I'm happy to pick-up the tab for), and I'll stop by tomorrow and pay it, really wish you told me too!

I never said it wasn't priced correctly, just that it is too expensive for some families. The one in the stadium was simpler and cheaper and as I said I felt better suited for families, I exposed my whole extended Thai family to the 4th celebrations there, different kind of event and of course different price for expenses and services received.

Bwt I'm not nor claim to be an economist, just studied it and have an understandings of the principles.

Let's not talk about celebrations at my house for civic events, how about the party with a fireworks show, food, open bar ect, 100% of costs I payed (remember that situation?)

Anyway you don't have to do this event, so you shouldn't be talking about complainers even if you actually do lose money.

I'd be happy for the sake of the community to help you work out the numbers next year to be sure you make a fair profit for all the work you put into the event.

Again with comparing the price to America, come on even people with no business experience know that is not applicable.

As for your wise ass reply to my sincere question, thanks for being yourself.

Anyway your description of the event sounds great! Hope all have a wonderful time!!

Edited by junglechef

I guess I used the wrong words to express what I was thinking.

While all are invited, only those who can afford to spend several thousand baht for a family outing can go. I'm sure I'd enjoy the company, but as far as food costs go, I'd probably only eat one hamburger, one hot dog, perhaps a slice of pizza, and drink a couple of soft drinks. My wife would eat considerably less. Pretty pricy at 2,400 baht...

I'd love to come and pay for what we eat plus extra for the entertainment, but I guess that's not an option. Oh well...

As for the economics, wages, rent, food costs, liquor licenses (which can easily go for $1,000,000 in the USA) etc etc are not the same as here so your example is invalid.

I hold a degrees in Economics and the Culinary Arts both from respected institutions in America and owned successful restaurants for 25 yrs so thanks for your ill informed advice with a side of sarcasm.

But what I wanted to mention as I feel this post might be pointed towards me is that I was talking about 2 and 3 yrs old, as I said in post #5, not 5 and 6 yr old's but the response might be the same which I'm fine with which I also previously mentioned.

I enjoyed the 2010 event more then one at River Market as I found it more casual and family oriented and didn't spend half the time waiting at a crowed bar with no bartender to get my pre-paid for drinks.

btw There has been alternative events offered up but with the limited number of Americans and I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.

dam, with your knowledge you could put everyone out of business, i cant wait to come to your event, can i sit in the vip section????

I agree with what you say about how little the two and three year olds will eat.

With your background in the industry and economics does it not make a difference when you give a 1,000 baht seat away for nothing?

Edit

With all due respect where are these other events. I may be wrong but if they are put on by a business would not making money be there first concern before making it a family affair.

I may be wrong on the year but was 2010 not the one that had hundreds of complaints on TV and if they were on TV I would imagine there were people who don't post on TV. As I say I may be wrong on the year.

Edited by northernjohn

Did the 2010 event have 50,000 baht worth of fireworks included in the cost? Did it pay any rent? How much was the cost of the utilities were they not also free? Was the selection of food as large and readily available? Are we comparing apples to prunes here?

Edited by northernjohn

While all are invited, only those who can afford to spend several thousand baht for a family outing can go. I'm sure I'd enjoy the company, but as far as food costs go, I'd probably only eat one hamburger, one hot dog, perhaps a slice of pizza, and drink a couple of soft drinks. My wife would eat considerably less. Pretty pricy at 2,400 baht...

I'd love to come and pay for what we eat plus extra for the entertainment, but I guess that's not an option. Oh well...

I am quite certain Dave would allow you to come and just pay for the food you eat. Of course you really wouldn't want to pick up the 50,000 baht fireworks entertainment would you. This is an American celebration so in a small way I do believe it is OK to mention the difference in cost between doing it here and doing it there.

I can hardly wait for Christmas and New years Eve to see the people bashing the evenings at places that start out at 3,000 baht a head.

Did the 2010 event have 50,000 baht worth of fireworks included in the cost? Did it pay any rent? How much was the cost of the utilities were they not also free? Was the selection of food as large and readily available? Are we comparing apples to prunes here?

If you'll notice, I quoted Jarhead. He said "300b for all the above." I don't know him but I'd like to believe he wasn't lying when he said 'all ' of the above. Personally, I don't know what was done here as that particular July 4 we were visiting Kyoto, Japan. Permit me to digress just a bit... on July 17 we attended the "PL Fireworks" in Osaka, and that was a two and a half hour non-stop fireworks display that filled the entire sky over the fairgrounds. The world's largest fireworks display. Over three million dollars (dollars, not baht) worth of fireworks... free to the public. BTW, this is a privately funded event, not State-run. This is a short video showing some of it.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I am quite certain Dave would allow you to come and just pay for the food you eat. Of course you really wouldn't want to pick up the 50,000 baht fireworks entertainment would you. This is an American celebration so in a small way I do believe it is OK to mention the difference in cost between doing it here and doing it there.

I can hardly wait for Christmas and New years Eve to see the people bashing the evenings at places that start out at 3,000 baht a head.

Perhaps you misunderstood... I'm not bashing the event. I'm just sorry that more Americans won't be able to attend. A family of four may need to spend almost 5,000 baht for the day. That's almost a month's worth of dinners in my house. I hope those who can afford to go have a great time. It sounds as if it will be a wonderful affair.

Holidays are for Amateurs and/or weekend warriors. I went to the "free party" at the Consulate in 2008, and it was total wankerville. They even let a truly Democrat organization register voters as they left, and I lit a cigar, and you would have thought I defecated in public. The missionaries and their fat kids were out in droves. I love to party, only on my terms though. Explaining to people what a cold beer is makes me feel like I should be a paid consultant. Perfectly good refrigerator in the condo......