Thai govt rushes to pacify Hong Kong over concern on tumeric-soaked durian

webfact

KING OF FRUITS
Govt rushes to pacify Hong Kong over concern on tumeric-soaked durian

PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

30262408-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE COMMERCE Ministry will help the Agriculture Ministry to clarify health concerns Hong Kong officials have about the use of the turmeric liquid in exported durian.

The move comes as the ministries warned Thai exporters and farmers not to use any substances that could affect consumer confidence.

Duangkamol Jiambutr, the Commerce Ministry spokeswoman, said the Thai Trade Office in Hong Kong would inform Hong Kong's Food and Environmental Hygience Department (FEHD) that turmeric did not harm people's health so there was no need to ban Thai durian imports.

In a bid to prevent further problems, the ministry will also meet with relevant government agencies and the Thai Fruits Exporters Association to discuss the import fruit regulations for a variety of markets.

A recent media report stated that the FEHD had accused Thai durian farmers and exporters of soaking durians in turmeric, a yellow liquid, and other chemicals to accelerate ripening.

The FEHD warned them not to use turmeric or any substance to accelerate ripening or Hong Kong would ban durian imports from Thailand.

Duangkamol said the government would stringently control farmers and exporters who used a chemical substance to hasten the ripening of durian not to use more than two parts per million.

"Farmers and exporters have to be aware of this warning to not use any substance that is forbidden by import countries or else it will affect the reputation of Thai fruit and affect the country's exports," she said.

The Commerce Ministry also urged farmers and traders to comply with relevant legal requirements, follow the Good Manufacturing Practice and use permitted food additives only in an appropriate manner.

Hong Kong is Thailand's third largest market for durian exports after China and Vietnam. In the first four months of this year, durian exports to Hong Kong were worth Bt1.21 billion.

Largest market for Thai durian

Last year, Hong Kong was the largest market for Thai durian with a market worth of Bt6.56 billion.

Peeled durian is sold in Hong Kong for a healthy HK$100 per kilogram (Bt435), up from $50 last year.

During the current harvest seasons, the total durian output is expected to reach 639,960 tonnes, of which 338,515 tonnes would come from the East (May-June harvest) and 275,960 tonnes from the South (July-September), with the remaining amount coming from other provinces such as Uttaradit and Si Sa Ket.

Previously, there was a report on the social media application wechat in Shanghai that accused durian farmers of using turmeric and other chemicals, resulting in consumers concerns and forcing the Thai trade office in Shanghai to clarify the situation.

Local farmers use turmeric to better protect durian when shipped.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Govt-rushes-to-pacify-Hong-Kong-over-concern-on-tu-30262408.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-16

"The FEHD warned them not to use turmeric or any substance to accelerate ripening or Hong Kong would ban durian imports from Thailand."

So HK says don't use it or they will ban imports, but Thailand says,

"Duangkamol said the government would stringently control farmers and exporters who used a chemical substance to hasten the ripening of durian not to use more than two parts per million."

Somehow I think they just don't get it.

"...soaking durians in turmeric, a yellow liquid, and other chemicals..." Other chemicals? What other chemicals? Turmeric may be fine on it's own, but I would want to know what else they are mixing with it. Other chemicals indeed.

The police rushed to the crime scene...

The soldiers rushed to the check point...

Now the government rushes...

everybody rushes..., that's why there are so many accidents!

Yes, they rush to check on bodies that have been decomposing for days but it is apparent that there is never much haste to get things right in the first place....as in this durian matter and so many others, it's always reactive

For sure with the Farmers, that will go in one ear and out the other, Safety of consumers ???? Why would that be of interest, can I just get the money, and let's forget about the consequences......

Now what's crossing my mind, do they do the same for the Thai Markets ??? If so, that's me finished eating it.....

It seems Thais are not happy unless they overload there food with either Sugar, Syrup or Salt, which is all extremely bad for your health....., and let's just chuck in a can of Carnation milk for,good measure......

For sure with the Farmers, that will go in one ear and out the other, Safety of consumers ???? Why would that be of interest, can I just get the money, and let's forget about the consequences......

Now what's crossing my mind, do they do the same for the Thai Markets ??? If so, that's me finished eating it.....

It seems Thais are not happy unless they overload there food with either Sugar, Syrup or Salt, which is all extremely bad for your health....., and let's just chuck in a can of Carnation milk for,good measure......

It is common knowledge here in Esaan the farmers shoot up watermelons with red dye before going to market.

Anything to do with the past report warning farmers not to sell unripe durian?

Yes, first the farmers sold unripe fruit and was warned not to do that or face fines, so then they had to use chemicals to ripen it.........laugh.pngcheesy.gif

Anything to do with the past report warning farmers not to sell unripe durian?

BINGO sir !

Cause ... meet effect.

Effect ... meet cause.

I don't know if it is the writing or someone translating from Thai, but does TV not have basic standards of writing so that articles can be understood. First Turmeric is used to accelerate ripening, but then at the bottom of the page, it is used to "protect" the fruit in shipment.

Typically, fruit is shipped any distance, for export or not is picked as green as it can be be so it ripens during distribution and as it gets to the retail store. An obvious fact; tumeric is a bright yellow color, and could possibly be used for some other purpose is never mentioned.

It is common knowledge here in Esaan the farmers shoot up watermelons with red dye before going to market.

Common knowledge on you part does not make it true. Grow a watermelon, instead of being a commentator, and tell me what color it is. Red. Yes, you can make yellow, but with a different seed. Have you not grown up with red watermelons, or is this your first shot at showing a lack of intelligence?

"...soaking durians in turmeric, a yellow liquid, and other chemicals..." Other chemicals? What other chemicals? Turmeric may be fine on it's own, but I would want to know what else they are mixing with it. Other chemicals indeed.

It wants soaking in something, have you smelt the damn things, cats P springs to mind?

I'm sure Thais like many nationalities use many substances and methods to enhance the growing or appearance of fruit/veg etc

However in Thailand where fruit & veg is mostly sold direct to market places without testing for pesticides or additives etc you do have to be careful what you're consuming.
Washing only gets rid of the external residue but not what the plant has soaked up!!
When exporting most countries have their own set of regulations of what is permissible & what is not, therefore testing is done upon arrival before release to the market place...

Thais have to learn that if they wish to sell overseas then it's best to do so at a standard the importer wishes & not try to pass-off what they are used to pedaling in the domestic market !

Turmeric is a herb and it is not liquid in its natural state. Along with cinnamon it is one of the most healthy herbs available on this planet.

I would love to know how it speeds up the ripening process of durian.

Turmeric is a herb and it is not liquid in its natural state. Along with cinnamon it is one of the most healthy herbs available on this planet.

I would love to know how it speeds up the ripening process of durian.

I don't think it does speed up the ripening, i think turmeric is used to make it appear ripe, ie as a colourant

Turmeric is the main ingredient in yellow curry, so everybody in Asia are eating it already, so I guess that the most important part of this story is missing. But if the buyer asked for non-treated durian, Thailand now has a huge problem and will have to eat all the durian by themselves. Unfortunately greed is killing the whole agriculture business in Thailand.

Yeah, everybody rushing. but nobody actually do any thing.....

The Commerce Ministry also urged farmers and traders to comply with relevant legal requirements, follow the Good Manufacturing Practice and use permitted food additives only in an appropriate manner.

The same way they always URGE, speak speak and no action...

Common knowledge on you part does not make it true. Grow a watermelon, instead of being a commentator, and tell me what color it is. Red. Yes, you can make yellow, but with a different seed. Have you not grown up with red watermelons, or is this your first shot at showing a lack of intelligence?

Thanks for responding stoli. Might I say quite amusing response. Took me a while to stop chuckling. Apologies if I have caused you unanticipated discomfort in the watermelon area of your cranial nerve ganglia.

My statement is quite true. It is what it is. I can assure you my watermelon aficionado friend that indeed I grew up with red and yellow watermelons and continued to raise them almost yearly for over fifty years and am continuing to do so here in the LOS. For your viewing pleasure I have attached a pic of one hill I planted three days ago along with the pack of Black Diamond seed which I can highly recommend. If proper care is taken the melons can reach up to 125 pounds. Should you feel the need to grow a few melons don't hesitate to PM me for instructions if you like.

post-162723-0-28129800-1434427762_thumb.

post-162723-0-10335100-1434427792_thumb.

Trying to interpret from what the half baked article says...

My guess would be...

--they're using tumeric as a colorant to enhance the fruit's appearance.

and

-- using some other unnamed chemicals in an attempt to ripen the fruit... Wonder what those chemicals might be???

You really have to wonder about this place:

bottled water that's tested not safe to drink, old rotting rice, colored/dyed farmed salmon that's not safe to eat, pesticide laden veggies, and now colored, adulterated fruits....

The only hope is for places like HK, the UK and others to get fed up with Thailand's BS and start slapping import bans on their products, as had occurred in the past. But even then, that won't necessarily solve the problems with all those products produced for domestic consumption. If only there was any real food & drug consumer safety enforcement here...

Once ripe, then they can use formaldehyde to preserve it....giggle.gif

They DO of course. But it's called formalin, sounds better I guess. And....it's used on many other fruits and veggies and of course it's used big time in fish. It's even in milk in some areas of the world. So glom down as much as you want to. You'll probably die, but think of it....your body won't decompose for a long long time. ( uh, if that's of any benefit to anyone )

I haven't eaten a fully ripe durian for some fifteen years or more. I gave up on them when they ceased to be a seasonal fruit, probably because the best varieties are not commercial. I don't think that they grow any in Nontburi any more because the land was too valuable as building land.