Earth slowing; time adjusted

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" add up to an hour every 100 years.

As per IERS standards, Thailand adjusted its time three years ago by one second."

With another second after 3 years....the math doesn't add up.

1 second every 3 years means 33 seconds after 100 years.

Say a minute after 200 years.......so an hour every 12000 years.

1 second every 3 years means

Yes but they don't mean 1 second EVERY 3 years, that's why your maths does add up

yes there was an adjustment 3 years ago and its been decided by IERS to put another adjustment, but it doesn't mean this will happen every 3 years

the article is not written very well

I remember the last one, very well, as we shut down all operations as a precaution, as the adjustment means changes uploaded to GPS and positioning systems

TV finest have no need to worry, the sky is not falling.

If the article was correct it would mean that within a thousand years earth would not have any gravity since the rotation of the earth is directly related to the gravity here. Slower rotation would mean less gravity.

Rotation does not directly affect gravity,

It's referred to as a 'leap second'. The last one was in June 2012. Since 1972 a total of 25 seconds have been added.

36 Seconds' Difference

The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time (UTC-TAI) after the next leap second has been added on June 30, 2015, will be 36 sec.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/leapseconds.html

The Future of Leap Seconds

Leap seconds are added to our clocks to compensate for the Earth's slowing rotation.

However, some scientists propose abolishing leap seconds in the future, redefining the way we measure time. This issue will be put to a vote in 2015.

Should Earth's rotation define time?

Triggered by a questionaire about Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) distributed by the IERS in 1999, scientists around the world began discussing the use of leap seconds. The argument revolves around the question:

Should we adjust our clocks to the Earth's slowing rotation, or should atomic clocks be solely responsible for measuring time?

More here

Ummmm............yeah. But this one they're taking off, not adding.

As per IERS standards, Thailand adjusted its time three years ago by one second."

Yes but they don't mean 1 second EVERY 3 years, that's why your maths does add up

yes there was an adjustment 3 years ago and its been decided by IERS to put another adjustment, but it doesn't mean this will happen every 3 years

I remember the last one, very well, as we shut down all operations as a precaution, as the adjustment means changes uploaded to GPS and positioning systems

If the article was correct it would mean that within a thousand years earth would not have any gravity since the rotation of the earth is directly related to the gravity here. Slower rotation would mean less gravity.

Huh ? You need to go back to school, matey, it's the opposite. The rotation of the Earth is directly related to the centrifugal force it creates. If the Earth stopped rotating, the gravity would be exactly the same due to the mass of the Earth being exactly the same, but we would 'feel' heavier due to the lack of centrifugal force. However, if the Earth's rotation was so fast that the resulting centrifugal force countered it's own gravity, then we would have problems.I forget exactly, but if the Earth was spinning so fast that it was able to throw us all off, then a 'day' would be in the region of an hour and a half.

you going to write the script for the "Preppers" episode ? laugh.png

" and on this week episode.....Bubba from Kansa, has been buying up the worlds supply of rare earth magnets and a flux capacitor, for when the earth looses its gravitational field and he intend using the magnets to create local gravity in his house so he doesn't float away"

rolleyes.gif

Just to clear up any confusion. Leap seconds are added due to the fact that the earth take slightly longer than 24 hours to make a complete rotation. The earth is slowing due to tidal lock, but the slow is not very drastic. Therefore, it needs to be adjusted every so often. If you look at the moon, you always see the same side because it is tidally locked to the earth. Thanks to a molten outer core, plate tectonics, and vast oceans, earth is not yet tidally locked to the sun. Eventually it will be, but we will all be long dead or some kind of robot-human hybrid before that happens.

There is no such thing as centrifugal force. What what an object feels when something spinning is actually a change in momentum which is tangent to a rotating object. The force is pushing towards the center of a rotating body. Otherwise said momentum would carry the object away. This force is called centripetal force. This is easily tested by spinning a ball on a string. The only force exerted is you pulling to the center on a string. When you let go, it flies off tangent to the circle. It's analogous to when you brake a car quickly. You feel yourself move forward, but there is no force pushing forward. Your momentum is carrying you forward and the force of your seat belt or amulet pushes you back into your seat. There was no forward force, just momentum. (okay technically there is a forward force on the bottom of your tires, but that isn't what you feel)

Just to clear up any confusion. Leap seconds are added due to the fact that the earth take slightly longer than 24 hours to make a complete rotation. The earth is slowing due to tidal lock, but the slow is not very drastic. Therefore, it needs to be adjusted every so often. If you look at the moon, you always see the same side because it is tidally locked to the earth. Thanks to a molten outer core, plate tectonics, and vast oceans, earth is not yet tidally locked to the sun. Eventually it will be, but we will all be long dead or some kind of robot-human hybrid before that happens.

There is no such thing as centrifugal force. What what an object feels when something spinning is actually a change in momentum which is tangent to a rotating object. The force is pushing towards the center of a rotating body. Otherwise said momentum would carry the object away. This force is called centripetal force. This is easily tested by spinning a ball on a string. The only force exerted is you pulling to the center on a string. When you let go, it flies off tangent to the circle. It's analogous to when you brake a car quickly. You feel yourself move forward, but there is no force pushing forward. Your momentum is carrying you forward and the force of your seat belt or amulet pushes you back into your seat. There was no forward force, just momentum. (okay technically there is a forward force on the bottom of your tires, but that isn't what you feel)

If the only force acting on a spinning ball is you pulling on a string, why does it stay in equilibrium? Why doesn't it accelerate towards you and hit you in your face?

Edited by halloween

That's it!!!

I'm off to bed. Wake me up in a second.

Clear up confusion!

I was a little bit confused, now I am very confused. Before long I will be totally confused!

But then I am a bear of very little brain!

You know that rotation creates centrifugal force, almost the opposite of gravity really. Mass creates gravity and if the Earth didn't spin we would still be stuck to it.

Edit Sirineou beat me to it.

Correct. Without centrifugal force from rotation opposing gravity we would be slightly "heavier" though still the same mass. Though this is very slight and gradual, I have noticed its effects - after 6 months away working I come back to find my g/f 3kg heavier.

There is no such thing as centrifugal force !

Will you think me silly if I tell you the earth rotates 366 times in a year (to the nearest whole number)?

No I'd not think you were silly, but I would know that you were wrong. The earth revolves around the sun 365.242 times per year - the closest whole number is 365 not 366

It's referred to as a 'leap second'. The last one was in June 2012. Since 1972 a total of 25 seconds have been added.

36 Seconds' Difference

The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time (UTC-TAI) after the next leap second has been added on June 30, 2015, will be 36 sec.

Leap seconds are added to our clocks to compensate for the Earth's slowing rotation.

However, some scientists propose abolishing leap seconds in the future, redefining the way we measure time. This issue will be put to a vote in 2015.

Triggered by a questionaire about Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) distributed by the IERS in 1999, scientists around the world began discussing the use of leap seconds. The argument revolves around the question:

Should we adjust our clocks to the Earth's slowing rotation, or should atomic clocks be solely responsible for measuring time?

More here

Ummmm............yeah. But this one they're taking off, not adding.

...which raises a question. Out in the real digital world, lots of operations & transactions take place in a matter of milliseconds,, i.e., fractions of a second. How many of these might be sensitive to a finish timestamp that's BEFORE the start timestamp, even if only by less than a second? What potential systems errors as a result?

Maybe the idea of a temporary shutdown,even if just long enough to span this burp in the master clock, with some extra margin for "ripples", isn't such a bad one, for some systems anyway.

Will you think me silly if I tell you the earth rotates 366 times in a year (to the nearest whole number)?

No I'd not think you were silly, but I would know that you were wrong. The earth revolves around the sun 365.242 times per year - the closest whole number is 365 not 366

I don't think he's silly either, but he's correct.

There are approximately 365 days in the year, a product of approximately 366 revolutions and 1 orbit about the sun.

I didn't think anybody would bite.

"In one year the earth makes one complete orbit of the sun.

It rotates 3661/4 times on its own axis so we see the stars appear to rotate 3661/4 times and we experience 3651/4 noons - i.e. 3651/4 solar days."

http://www.wallingfordclock.talktalk.net/Sidereal%20Time.htm

Sorry about the faint print. if you prefer try www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKnWYu6fiU

Rotation of an object has nothing to do with its gravitational field; it is "primarily" a function of the mass of the object. I.e., even if the earth stopped spinning, its gravity would remain essentially the same.

36 Seconds' Difference

More here

It would seem rash to amend the length of the second according to the rotation of the earth, since we would then need to amend, for example, the speed of light (or the length of the metre) and we would need to retune all our timepieces; can you imagine the amount of buggering about with pendulum weights that would involve? We'd need to add sand to all our egg-timers - it really doesn't bear thinking about... I suppose we could just recalibrate our egg-timers as 2:59.99 since the eggs would take a fraction of a second less to boil, with the longer seconds, but imagine how long it would take me to go through marking up the revised times in my Mrs. Beeton's...

SC

If the only force acting on a spinning ball is you pulling on a string, why does it stay in equilibrium? Why doesn't it accelerate towards you and hit you in your face?

Because the ball's momentum is always tangent to the circle, so it is moving 90 degrees from the direction of the force.

Edited by FloridaExport

There are approximately 365 days in the year, a product of approximately 366 revolutions and 1 orbit about the sun.

Try again and use a calculator if necessary, or get a friend to help you. Now, is 365.242 closer to 365 or 366 ? Think carefully !

Edited by tigermonkey

Try again and use a calculator if necessary, or get a friend to help you. Now, is 365.242 closer to 365 or 366 ? Think carefully !

Actually 364 and a quarter days in a year. Its why every 4 years we have a leap year.

My Rolex adjusts accordingly.