Cops hunting down 'counter-coup' rumormongers

webfact

Cops Hunting Down 'Counter-Coup' Rumormongers

By Khaosod English

14344360971434436146l.jpg
Soldiers arrived at the Army Club in Bangkok shortly after Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha staged coup d'etat on 22 May 2014.

BANGKOK — Thai police say they are tracking down whoever is behind a rumor about an impending counter-coup against the military junta that seized power from an elected government one year ago.

Pol.Gen. Somyot Pumpanmuang, commander of the Royal Thai Police, said he has instructed the technological crime division team to investigate the incident.

The rumor, spread among the mostly anti-junta Redshirts, alleged that a group of senior military commanders is plotting to overthrow junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha. The claim asserted that the conspirators were backed by Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda, a former Prime Minister who is currently a top adviser to His Majesty the King, and who many Redshirts believe has a strained relationship with Gen. Prayuth.

The military government has dismissed the rumor as baseless.

"We are checking who posted this rumor," Pol.Gen. Somyot said. "If we determine that the rumor caused panic or affected national security, we will prosecute them, because it is not true. Furthermore, based on our intelligence agency's inspection of the information, and our discussion with officers from the three branches of the armed forces, we have not seen any information or possibility of a counter-coup."

Pol.Gen. Somyot added, "I believe we will find the persons who posted the rumor for prosecution soon."

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434436097

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-16

Because coups are illegal right??

Marvel at your depth in comprehension...

Because of this:

"The claim asserted that the conspirators were backed by Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda, a former Prime Minister who is currently a top adviser to His Majesty the King..."

Because coups are illegal right??

unsuccessful coups are illegal.

If there is a counter-coup which is successful, the constitution will be changed that way that it was legal.

That is the way with every forced change of government.

A question - How could the plod know about skulduggery in the upper echelons of the army? I know they have intelligence, but it isn't like the army and police are best of pals, plus if a counter coup was in the offing, those responsible wouldn't exactly be singing about it from the rooftops?

how would they know if anyone was plotting a coup? its not as if they would inform the current government first, just like this lot and anyone else they would deny it, and if anyone is planing a counter coup a clampdown on rumors is only going to benefit them

but it is entertaining - its not true. and furthermore we think its probably not true. followed by the usual - we will catch them soon.

Edited by phycokiller

how would they know if anyone was plotting a coup? its not as if they would inform the current government first, just like this lot and anyone else would, and if anyone is planing a counter coup a clampdown on rumors is only going to benefit them

but it is entertaining - its not true. and furthermore we think its probably not true

We will know a counter coup is about to occur when people constantly deny it is about to occur. It will be interesting watching them look over their shoulders at what is not happening.

Sounds a bit strange to me, especially as it was Prem that Thaksin outed as being the mastermind and organizer behind the current coup.

I suspect there's a whole 'nother story here that no one is talking about (or rather is not allowed to), and it has nothing to do with the (current) coup.

A question - How could the plod know about skulduggery in the upper echelons of the army? I know they have intelligence, but it isn't like the army and police are best of pals, plus if a counter coup was in the offing, those responsible wouldn't exactly be singing about it from the rooftops?

Good question and easily answered ... there's still a big divide in both the Police and the Military over "who" to support ... and it's not quite as simple as the color of the shirt or their political allegiances.

( you'll have to read between the lines a little in my statement )

The real problem here is, that some people, who grabbed "their" chairs a little too early, now might have to let go of them. Because the music is still playing...........................coffee1.gif

The first coup was for good reason : a bunch of dirty cronies had obeyed their master by passing a law 310:0 giving him amnesty back to 2004 and were going to take the country to civil war rather than give in to mass protests.

A second coup can only be for the benefit of a power-crazy individual. Decent people in Thailand would not stand for that.

Luckily for Thailand these people are prepared to go out (without being paid) and die rather than watch their country get plundered to the extreme by corrupt politicians. And none of them wear red-shirts.

Sounds a bit strange to me, especially as it was Prem that Thaksin outed as being the mastermind and organizer behind the current coup.

I suspect there's a whole 'nother story here that no one is talking about (or rather is not allowed to), and it has nothing to do with the (current) coup.

"I suspect there's a whole 'nother story here that no one is talking about (or rather is not allowed to), and it has nothing to do with the (current) coup."

"or rather is not allowed to" : in a nutshell...... and only behind closed doors.

The first coup was for good reason : a bunch of dirty cronies had obeyed their master by passing a law 310:0 giving him amnesty back to 2004 and were going to take the country to civil war rather than give in to mass protests.

A second coup can only be for the benefit of a power-crazy individual. Decent people in Thailand would not stand for that.

Luckily for Thailand these people are prepared to go out (without being paid) and die rather than watch their country get plundered to the extreme by corrupt politicians. And none of them wear red-shirts.

>>Luckily for Thailand these people are prepared to go out (without being paid) and die rather than watch their country get plundered to the extreme by corrupt politicians<<

On other posts you are defending Mr P's coup: "to prevent a civil war"

And now suddenly a civil war becomes legit??

Gee John, your understanding of the situation is breathtaking.... quite a breadth of history there

Just one question..... what about the other 18 coups?

Any comments?

You are astonishingly ignorant.Reports of a possible counter coup have been circulating for some time.I do not give them any credence although they are indicative of well known tensions between ruling/military factions.None of this is particularly controversial; there are always differences of opinion in government and the current lack of transparency tend to encourage unreliable gossip.

Your particular stupidity is to attribute any of this to Thaksin

and the red shirts who have absolutely nothing to do with the counter coup rumours.

Not that i put much faith in the rumours but i doubt it is beyond the realms of possibility that there are arms of the armed forces who are disenfranchised with all that goes on.

Specifically i expect some units are annoyed that the head of the army, important posts etc just seems to pass from one mate to another in the same class like an old boys club.

There are times when Patriots must be willing to shed the blood. Coups have many reasons behind them, some are like the American revolution in order to establish a more perfect and free state. Some are like what occurred in Burma where wealth and power are the reason.

This has gone on for centuries, some good, some bad. I see this one as a completion of the 2006 Coup which was not done right.

I am a guess here and want this Country and it's people be free from Corruption and have a good effort to educate the people with circumspect so they can arrive at the 21st Century.

Dear General/PM, Stay the course and keep flushing until the water is clear, God's Speed !!

Edited by gchurch259

Good question and easily answered ... there's still a big divide in both the Police and the Military over "who" to support ... and it's not quite as simple as the color of the shirt or their political allegiances.

( you'll have to read between the lines a little in my statement )

So much good stuff to read on the 'net about the factions within the military, rivalry between personalities and groups from different regions.

The current coup makers, their backers, where they originate from etc etc

There is a lot more going on than what many of the posters here comment on.

English John .... listening?