Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

Good call. Proper car nut, good presenter, funny guy, and judging by the reaction here he's already ruffling a few feathers in the old guard, which hints at exactly the kind of shaking up the tired old format desperately needs.

The Orangutan, the Hamster and Capt Slow are not indispensable. The last few years have been too scripted and lacked real spontaneity.

Hope his co-presenters will be less public-schooly than their predecessors, and will include a lady.

Why is a lady necessary?

More like obligatory with the wimmin this, wimmin that, wimmin the other BBC. I just thought the old Top Gear format was a refreshing change in that it was 3 big daft ladz messing about. We now have women presenting snooker, horse racing and all these other sports, yet they aren't even competing and don't have any experience.

When you make selection based on sex, you are discriminating..

We need to give Chris a chance, the old Top Gear format was living on borrowed time given current BBC attitudes. Boorish Clarkson just threw too many reasons their way. I bet his mates are pissed at him, what do they all plan to do next?

Edited by jacko45k

Good call. Proper car nut, good presenter, funny guy, and judging by the reaction here he's already ruffling a few feathers in the old guard, which hints at exactly the kind of shaking up the tired old format desperately needs.

car nut,good presenter,funny guy what about MR.BEAN.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I never heard of the guy. So without any preconceptions I wonder what kind of pressure he is feeling to step into Jeremy's oversized shoes.

The fact is that car shows are boring, Top Gear was a big deal because it was mostly boyish humor with cars as the raw material. But the special ingredient was Clarkson's sense of humor. Obviously there are many folks who didn't like Clarkson, but the fact remains the show was one of the world's most popular TV shows. Which means the formula was a winner. Now the recipe is forever altered, and the pressure must be massive to follow that kind of success. My guess is the ratings will be huge for the first couple of shows, simply because of the controversy and the desperate hope of fans that the show can be resurrected. But then many fans will not like the changes and the simply curious will also drop away. This new crew will need to stand on it's own.

They will either fail dramatically, or they will succeed in creating an acceptable car show. But I have doubts they will ever approach the success of Clarkson because those guys milked that cow dry a couple of years ago.

I will certainly watch to see if I am wrong. I hope I am.

Stopped watching Top Gear years ago when it finished being about the cars and became the contrived 'lifestyle' media circus. Great for the uneducated motoring masses I guess, and it was successful at that. Just not my thing. Prefer Evo reviews etc on Youtube.

Chris Evans? Owns some properly nice cars, but on his radio show he just comes across as an opinionated <deleted>, so I switch stations.

I guess TG will either prosper or die.

I don't care really.smile.png

My prediction? Season 23, episode 1 will get good ratings, but after the original trio launch their new car show (seems pretty inevitable to me), TG will be either canned, or become a low cost, low everything format like 5th Gear.

The audience will follow the presenters.

clap2.gif So pleased Clarkson has been booted out as he has no talent unless you think being a Big Mouthed Fat Slob

who thought he was bullet proof is a talent.

Such an immature little boy!gigglem.gif

How strange that the show was such a success then, obviously the great majority of viewers didn't share your opinion.

It is sad that the BBC put themselves in a position that they could not backtrack from, their current feeble attempts to keep the show going will result in its ultimate demise, no matter who the new presenters are. They obviously haven't heard of the phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' RIP Top Gear

I never heard of the guy. So without any preconceptions I wonder what kind of pressure he is feeling to step into Jeremy's oversized shoes.

As he's already a multi-millionaire, I would think, not much.

...and Clarkson will be the star in the reasonably priced car !

I could see that happening at some point.

Amused by all the people complaining that Evans is an opinionated motormouth disliked by many. And Clarkson isn't?

clap2.gif So pleased Clarkson has been booted out as he has no talent unless you think being a Big Mouthed Fat Slob

who thought he was bullet proof is a talent.

Such an immature little boy!gigglem.gif

How strange that the show was such a success then, obviously the great majority of viewers didn't share your opinion.

It is sad that the BBC put themselves in a position that they could not backtrack from, their current feeble attempts to keep the show going will result in its ultimate demise, no matter who the new presenters are. They obviously haven't heard of the phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' RIP Top Gear

The BBC haven't put themselves in any position. Clarkson caused the situation when he punched a colleague at work.

Every one gave Chris Evans a hard time when he took over from Wogan ,BBC2 morning show UK , but the ratings went up and up , there's a chance the same will happen with Top Gear , I liked Clarkson ,a lot , but I think Chris Evans is a good choice , give him a chance !

As he's already a multi-millionaire, I would think, not much.

Financially I agree, but I think that it's more likely to be about how much adulation they can get.

I never really liked Clarkson on Top Gear, but I like Chris Evans even less.

Jeremy Clarkson did however make some excellent non-motoring documentaries like these:-

Let's hope he continues in the same vein in future.

Get Jodi Kidd on with him and will be a winner, mabe Quentin Wilson too, the Classic Car show they currently hosted was right up there, quality and cool motors, she oozes sex appeal and knows how to drive and about cars genuinly he knows motors inside out, and Plato onboard, thats it easy... was time for a change, Top Gear had become same ol same and James may was soooooo Boring, yawn! hamster ok, Clarkson well out of touch...

Evans can make it work and exciting given enough slack

He's not giving up his radio 2 slot, he must know it's not going to last. Locked in for a three year contract.

Obviously a shrewd businessman, no one ever accused him of being stupid.

He is worth at least 225 million sterling

He does not need to ever work again

His salary for the radio2 show is £600,000 a year

He does the radio show because he enjoys the job not for the money

His car collection is worth over 80 million sterling