Going rate for a Tiler?

mcm991

Anyone have an idea what the going rate is for a decent tiler?

I have a couple of hundred square metres to tile. I also have all the tiles and materials.

They just need to show up and put them down in the right place.

Thanks in advance.

Follow up question .......

Anyone able to recommend a good tiler in the Maerim area?

My last one did not know much about tiles.

Same for painters ....... I've had a bit of bad luck lately with the trades ......... my last painter was slightly less able to paint than an orangutan.

PM me or post here.

But only good ones please....... I beg of you .... there is only so much agony a grown man can take.......

What do you mean precicely by "a good one"???

I could refer you to one of the best but he charges 600 baht a meter for the labor, are you prepared to pay that?

I didn't know Michelangelo was a Thai.

What do you mean precicely by "a good one"???

I could refer you to one of the best but he charges 600 baht a meter for the labor, are you prepared to pay that?

No. I'm not.

How about the second best one ....... the one who charges less than the neuro surgeon.

Thanks. :)

150 baht a meter but usually they slop the tile down and don't back butter the tile. For tiles with no air gap between them takes more effort around 250 baht a square meter. I have the number of a crew just PM if you really want it. I would rate them at a 7 out of 10 for quality and they don't waste a lot of tile. I had another guy who did a better job but wasted about 40% more tile. I spent 2k baht more on tile for a very slight difference in quality.

Make sure that you buy your own spacers many crews don't use them or bring them.

Unless you are doing decorative touches or mosaic 600baht a meter is absurd for just labor. That is more than many tilers get back in the US.

I've heard that many will not start in the middle, so one side will get all the cut pieces...which may not be that big of deal, but the old school people always start in the middle. Also, consider demolition of the old tile in the sots, if any.

I paid 250baht per sq.m. but price was including cement. I provided all tiles.

Another time I was doing bathroom (small about 2x2m). Asked 3 different companies. Work included taking off all bathroom accessories and old tiles from walls and floor. Then re-tiling floor and walls and putting all accessories (shower cabin, toilet, sink, towel holder etc etc.). Work included also cleaning up after work is done each day, as I was staying in that room and didn't want to have much dust around. One company said 25,000 baht, another one 19,000 baht, and third one 11,000 baht. I choosed the cheapest one and they done note perfect but satisfactory.

Also I would like to add, that another time was doing total renovation of studio 30.sq.m.

Work included everything : drop ceilings, tiling floors, tiling walls, painting walls, installing furniture and accessories, changing windows etc etc.

Asked 4 or 5 companies. Price range was from 100,000 baht to 180,000 baht.

My advice is :

- do good shopping around

- it is OK to choose the cheapest guys, but you have to stay on the top of work to ensure quality and demand adjustments,

- most important thing : contract. Always sign detailed contract. Specify who is buying what. Detailed job description. Start and finish date. Make sure there is penalty in the contract for every day of delay. Make sure there is warranty for the job - for example 1 year for tiling.

I had incident when after 1 month of work was finished, my tiles started falling off the walls.

- if your workers can not speak english, make sure you have available thai friend who is willing to do a lot of translating

- if you pay for materials, make sure workers keep and give you a receipts for anything they buy