Seminar: BKK is sinking at 10 mm/year with the worst subsidence in Ramkhamhaeng area

webfact

Seminar: BKK is sinking at 10 mm/year with the worst subsidence in Ramkhamhaeng area

19-6-2558-12-54-40-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok is sinking by an average of 10 mm per annum with the worst incidence of land subsidence in Ramkhamhaeng area which is sinking at a rate of two centimeters per year, said Mr Sucharit Khunthanakulwong, chief of the water engineering department of engineering faculty of Chuulalongkorn University, on Friday.

Speaking at a seminar on “How to cope with rising tide and land subsidence in Bangkok?” organized by the National Reform Council, the academic said that Bangkok is increasingly vulnerable to flooding due to several factors among them the dredging of artesian wells, construction of high rises in the capital, movements of earth plates.

Besides Ramkhamhaeng area which is fast sinking at a rate of two cms per year followed by areas in Lat Krabang, he said that coastal areas in Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon are being threatened with land erosions.

He warned that Bangkok would face more serious flood problem in the next three decades if laws are not strictly enforced to curb dredging of underground water and high rises construction.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seminar-bkk-is-sinking-at-10-mmyear-with-the-worst-subsidence-in-ramkhamhaeng-area

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-19

Singapore has similar challenges and in places the high ground water pressure. They utilise different building techniques like piling for months thousands of tonnes of concrete onto a site up to four stories tall. This compacts the ground underneath the site making it less permeable to water and creating a boundary layer to the ground water. Which is further isolated depending on the site, seems to work well,

They have also spent substantial efforts in isolating the island from seawater at least in the upper layers. This I do believe has mainly been due to the need for catchment and storage purposes and erosion prevention specially north western parts on the main island of Singapore.

Singapore has similar challenges and in places the high ground water pressure. They utilise different building techniques like piling for months thousands of tonnes of concrete onto a site up to four stories tall. This compacts the ground underneath the site making it less permeable to water and creating a boundary layer to the ground water. Which is further isolated depending on the site, seems to work well,

They have also spent substantial efforts in isolating the island from seawater at least in the upper layers. This I do believe has mainly been due to the need for catchment and storage purposes and erosion prevention specially north western parts on the main island of Singapore.

Is Singapore similar?

As i understand it, on of the main problems in BKK is the LACK of water...the p-lace is built on a delta - swampy flatlands.......but the increased drainage caused by the canalisation of the river channels drains the surrounding land causing it to sink.

This I believe is only one of several factors that threaten Bangkok's survival at a average of 1.3 metres above sea level?

The Dutch of course are experts at living below sea level, but Bangkok is huge - bigger than any city in the Netherlands.

Edited by cumgranosalum

"The city of more than 9.3 million people is dropping at a rate of 20.1 millimeters to 28 millimeters per year, reported Chulalonkorn University’s Itthi Trisirisattayawong during a seminar yesterday."

This was in 2013, a rate twice what is reported today. Bangkok is built on a soft clay known to geologists as "Bangkok clay". Bangkok will become MarineWorld.

"The city of more than 9.3 million people is dropping at a rate of 20.1 millimeters to 28 millimeters per year, reported Chulalonkorn University’s Itthi Trisirisattayawong during a seminar yesterday."

This was in 2013, a rate twice what is reported today. Bangkok is built on a soft clay known to geologists as "Bangkok clay". Bangkok will become MarineWorld.

interesting - clay is water-proof or at least relatively so, it is what is used to line the canals in Uk so the water doesn't drain out.

however i suspect if it dries out it will change its properties...."feet of clay" (or was that sand? - a totally different kettle of fish)

Is Singapore similar?

As i understand it, on of the main problems in BKK is the LACK of water...the p-lace is built on a delta - swampy flatlands.......but the increased drainage caused by the canalisation of the river channels drains the surrounding land causing it to sink.

This I believe is only one of several factors that threaten Bangkok's survival at a average of 1.3 metres above sea level?

The Dutch of course are experts at living below sea level, but Bangkok is huge - bigger than any city in the Netherlands.

half of the Netherlands is below sealevel, an area bigger the Bangkok

He warned that Bangkok would face more serious flood problem in the next three decades if laws are not strictly enforced to curb dredging of underground water and high rises construction.

Yah...like that's really going to happen here... The Thai authorities will be allowing new high rise construction here in Bangkok (after all, there's money to be made) long after all of us will permanently be donning swim fins...

Is Singapore similar?

No - about 25% of the country is below sea level and 20% of the population....the population of the Netherlands is about 17 million so 20% of that is LESS than greater Bangkok. (about 7 million)

The Netherlands have been "claiming" land below sea level for hundreds of years - bit by bit.....the idea of doing something like this is Bangkok over a short period of time is a whole different ball game....both in terms of area and population numbers.

The difference between Singapore & Thailand is that Singapore has a forward thinking long term infrastructure plan, drawn up by experts, executed by professional developers, engineers & contractors...

Thailand is quite the opposite !!

Is Singapore similar?

No - about 25% of the country is below sea level and 20% of the population....the population of the Netherlands is about 17 million so 20% of that is LESS than greater Bangkok. (about 7 million)

The Netherlands have been "claiming" land below sea level for hundreds of years - bit by bit.....the idea of doing something like this is Bangkok over a short period of time is a whole different ball game....both in terms of area and population numbers.

i am talking about an area bigger then Bangkok not the population

It just goes on and on;building like crazy; if somebody did a study on BKK buildings and buildings all over Thailand you would see about 50% of them are never used. Drive from Chiangrai to Trang; Mae Sot to Mukdahan, anywhere and they build build build, mostly shophouses by the hundreds alongside shophouses built 30 years back and never been used since.I know there's supposed to be "money in bricks and mortar" but reckon there's a limit.Bangkok has always been a swamp and always will be.

No news here really except rate of subsidence.

BKK vv SIN geology and topography no direct comparison but yes they do a lot more extensive foundation work in Singapore.

BKK high rise market will eventually take care of itself once all access is flooded for months on end - don't go for a basement CP - get a rubber duck!

Happy Days!

Is Singapore similar?

i am talking about an area bigger then Bangkok not the population

firstly you stated that half of the Netherlands were below sea level - that is incorrect.

Then I pointed out that to claim this amount of land the Dutch took centuries - since the 15 hundreds mainly. I also pointed out that Bangkok is bigger than ay city in Netherlands.

What are you trying to say?

Basically it seems your premises are incorrect and your conclusions obscure.

Edited by cumgranosalum

in a few years TAT can come up with: the VENICE of the EAST

In the past Bangkok was known as the Venice of the East because of the multidinious klongs, many of which have now been filled

filled, canalised or simply covered over..........an eco-disaster and a tourist attraction lost....

Is there something wrong with saying 1 centimeter? Why not 10000μm?

Mathematically 1 cm can be anything between 0,5 and 1,5 cm.

10mm (1.0 cm) can be anything between 9.5 and 10.5 mm

Or look at it in this way: 1.0 cm is more accurate than 1 cm

interesting - clay is water-proof or at least relatively so, it is what is used to line the canals in Uk so the water doesn't drain out.

however i suspect if it dries out it will change its properties...."feet of clay" (or was that sand? - a totally different kettle of fish)

You're correct, clay can be waterproof. However, soft clay isn't what one builds condos on.