Oh grow up you silly wee boy.

I think you're the one who

sounds like a "wee boy". You

sounded so proud as you told

everyone the details about

your first trip away, the cost of

which, a real, live girl met.

How sappy

I thought it was helpful to get bit of context so that the OP could interpret his recommendations.

I think from his posts in "Best Pub In Thailand" and elsewhere, Smokie is relatively well-versed in such matters.

Personally, my recommendation to finding pubs is to drink yourself to the brink of oblivion, and then trust a tuk tuk driver, but I doubt the OP will thank me for that suggestion. Especially not if he follows it

SC

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear I'm in my early forties....in a stable relationship with a Thai girl for a long while and enjoy a few beers from time to time.

On my way back to Bangkok now in fact from the islands....a trip paid by my gf.

Plenty of normal friends around Bangkok too....if you want to find losers you can find them for sure... but its certainly not a majority....to suggest such is very misleading.

Get out of the ghetto and the percentage of idiots is very small indeed here

Didn't ask for your resumé, pal.

I think it was pretty clear that I

was talking about Western guys

in the farang-oriented bars in

Bangkok which is what the OP

asked about.

He didn't actually say farang-oriented bars, he just said he wanted to meet up with other Westerners.

A Western colleague and I had a great night out in a karaoke bar in On Nut. But you'd need to pick up your foreign acquaintance first - I've seen very few other Westerners in there, and they didn't look like they went for some blokish banter at the bar

SC

You came to Bangkok to find Western guys to hang out with?

I'm not going to touch that with a ........rolleyes.gif

An American who travels abroad and immediately wants to "hang out" with westerners. Why not save your money and stay in America? It boggles the mind.

I find that wherever I roam, I enjoy the fellowship of my compatriots. I don't specifically seek them out, but fortunately we are a well-travelled bunch. I don't specifically choose my drinking acquaintances by race, nationality or religion, but that's just the way that it seems to end up.

And if I had had a hard day struggling to teach Thai children English, or supervising workers across a language barrier in a factory, or whatever, I am sure I would welcome the opportunity to mentally unwind with similarly-minded fellows with whom we might share our experiences, trials and tribulations of the day

SC

Some pretty negative comments above. Sure there are SOME losers in BKK but then again they are everywhere, there are also some good guys in BKK too who work hard, run or own their businesses and don't want to go to Cowboy and pick up hookers all the time. Personally I like meeting my multinational expat friends, have a normal conversation and a good laugh.

Hi Guy,

If you haven't make plans for your upcoming Friday night yet. Why not come and be part in the first-time Single Fridays event in Ambar, Four Points Hotel on Sukhumvit 15. The evening starts 8PM with happy hour and the event is from 9PM-1AM. Limited tickets are still available on www.ezy-go.com (check Single Fridays Tickets on the main page). The facebook page is www.facebook.com/singlefridays where you can read more about it as well see the upcoming event in the event page. Hope to see you all!

Hi Guy,

If you haven't make plans for your upcoming Friday night yet. Why not come and be part in the first-time Single Fridays event in Ambar, Four Points Hotel on Sukhumvit 15. The evening starts 8PM with happy hour and the event is from 9PM-1AM. Limited tickets are still available on www.ezy-go.com (check Single Fridays Tickets on the main page). The facebook page is www.facebook.com/singlefridays where you can read more about it as well see the upcoming event in the event page. Hope to see you all!

Perhaps the OP could give us a field report as well, to overcome (or affirm) the cynicism that many on here have expressed.

Oh please, the majority of farangs on TV claim to have no Thai friends; wonder who they talk to?

It seems many TV members like to think that they are better than the average Westerner, based on the foreigners that they have met while hanging around in bars, or based on a judgement of other Westerners from their appearance, or based on prejudice with no experience whatsoever.

When I'm on holiday, I often dispense with shaving, rarely use the trouser press in the hotel room, and, dare I say it, sometimes let my sartorial standards slip. I can imagine people could possibly leap to the conclusion that I was something of a ruffian, or perhaps a 20-year old backpacker, based on that. However, I prefer to base my judgement of Westerners in general on those that I know reasonably well - friends, colleagues and close acquaintances; and I find them to be the same whether they are clean-shaven and wearing a tie, straight from the office, or looking distinctly weekendish.

Golf. A lot of Western blokes play Golf. The OP could try that as an ice-breaker.

SC

Oh please, the majority of farangs on TV claim to have no Thai friends; wonder who they talk to?

It seems many TV members like to think that they are better than the average Westerner, based on the foreigners that they have met while hanging around in bars, or based on a judgement of other Westerners from their appearance, or based on prejudice with no experience whatsoever.

When I'm on holiday, I often dispense with shaving, rarely use the trouser press in the hotel room, and, dare I say it, sometimes let my sartorial standards slip. I can imagine people could possibly leap to the conclusion that I was something of a ruffian, or perhaps a 20-year old backpacker, based on that. However, I prefer to base my judgement of Westerners in general on those that I know reasonably well - friends, colleagues and close acquaintances; and I find them to be the same whether they are clean-shaven and wearing a tie, straight from the office, or looking distinctly weekendish.

Golf. A lot of Western blokes play Golf. The OP could try that as an ice-breaker.

SC

Well said as usual.

Excuse me... The keys dont seem to be working so well tonight..

Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back on since his first opener. Presumably he's following the helpful hints he'll have read on this forum and is right now striking up acquaintances with all and sundry... let's hope he doesn't submerge beneath a fog of oblivion and find himself at five in the morning on an expressway in a taxi rattling up the meter like a fruit machine with nothing but a blank whiteboard where the memory of his address should be...

Or if he does, let's hope he comes back on here to tell us about it

SC

Actually, the management has informed me that it is not a military school, per se.

They prefer to think of it as a privately-run boarding school for Matthayom-aged boys.

Anyway, if you check out the Thai-language video on their website you'll get a better idea of what they are

offering the students.

Double post.

Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back on since his first opener. Presumably he's following the helpful hints he'll have read on this forum and is right now striking up acquaintances with all and sundry... let's hope he doesn't submerge beneath a fog of oblivion and find himself at five in the morning on an expressway in a taxi rattling up the meter like a fruit machine with nothing but a blank whiteboard where the memory of his address should be...

Or if he does, let's hope he comes back on here to tell us about it

SC

Nights like that....while on the surface may seem like a terrible idea... In the morning you will recognise and understand why you haven't been there for at least a week.

Just my opinion of course.

You'll be better off checking out somewhere like meetup.com and finding some people who share your interests. Most of the people who hang around in bars in Bangkok are losers.

Why not hang with the locals and learn something?? Check out the local Rotary Club?

Give the bar scene a wide berth.....IMHO...?

SC

I guess you never heard the expression "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" If you like to relax on holiday, look unkempt that's your choice I however try to look presentable approachable at all times ,never know when some woman may find you attractive and approach or a business opourtunity may avail itself. If you look like someone down on his luck not shaved, cheap unpressed clothes good luck with that look.

I went to US Embassy ran into a French lady who asked me for some help ( like there isn't English speaking staff around) talked on way out for awhile gave me her phone number but I have not called it (I'm married) but see how far you would have gotten looking like a disheveled ruffian.

For OP try ThaiVisa bar Sukumvit Soi 7

You'll be better off checking out somewhere like meetup.com and finding some people who share your interests. Most of the people who hang around in bars in Bangkok are losers.

Soi biker thanks for the thoughtful post. Most of the responses have been cynnacle, sarcastic or just mean spirited. Happy to know there are some decent people out there

a very few on this forum will answer a question with a sensible answer, all the above is an example of the crap some people write, good luck in those bars

Yes it's sad that so many on this forum just use it as a way to vent their anger at the world. I'm a new member as of last week and it's quite a shock. Didn't realize there were so many miserable expats out there. But to the minority's of people who actually read my original post and offered advice I'm grateful