Ashes 2015

7by7

Yesterday morning was overcast and muggy; perfect for swing bowling.

There was still some moisture in the pitch; always is at Trent Bridge on the first morning as it's so close to the river.

So it was a good toss to win.

Broad bowled superbly, hitting the right spot virtually every time.

For once, the English slips held onto everything that came their way, and Stokes even got one that had passed him!

But:-

The forecast was for a bright, sunny afternoon and the pitch would have dried out by lunch; perfect for batting.

So it called for good, old fashioned Test batting in the first session. Only play balls you have to, defend, defend, defend and wait for a bad ball to score. Then after lunch when the sun was out and the pitch had dried, make hay.

Did the Aussies do that?

No. They reached for balls they could easily have left, those balls caught the edge and that was it; all out for 60.

I think this is the first time a bowler has taken 8 wickets, all catches with none of those catches by the wicketkeeper.

I'm not taking anything away from England's performance, especially Broad's. But without the Aussie's suicidal batting the story could have been a lot different.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not taking anything away from England's performance, especially Broad's. But without the Aussie's suicidal batting the story could have been a lot different.

It was some good accurate bowling and some very good catching. 6 slips at one stage?

Wasn't helped by a few of the shots played, but,... still...

We will need to roll you for 350,go out and make 450 then roll you for 159.

Possible?sad.png

when the night watchman smacks the main pace man bac over his head for four in the ? over ,then that probably answers your question.

It was some good accurate bowling and some very good catching. 6 slips at one stage?

Wasn't helped by a few of the shots played, but,... still...

Indeed, England performed outstandingly, and that was the main reason for yesterday morning.

But it was more than a few of the shots played which contributed; it was all of them!

What was Clark thinking, for instance, when, having seen what was happening, he edged a ball which, as Boycott put it, "My Mum couldn't have reached with her yard brush!"

We will need to roll you for 350,go out and make 450 then roll you for 159.

Possible?sad.png

when the night watchman smacks the main pace man bac over his head for four in the ? over ,then that probably answers your question.

well 324 for 7 ,,,, maybe game on ,,, good stuff from australia

Meanwhile, so far this morning Starc, IMHO by far the best Aussie bowler of the series so far, has got: Root (c Nevill 130), Wood (bowled 28) and Buttler (bowled 12).

6 of the 7 wickets to fall so far for him.

England out by lunch today, or shortly after?

Australia bowled out this afternoon/evening and England win by an innings inside two days?

Amongst others hoping it will go into a third day are the Red Arrows, who are scheduled to do a fly past of the ground during tomorrows lunch break.

The millionth ball bowled in test cricket in England was bowled by Stokes to Warner and was hit for 4.

2 catches put down by the Poms. So different from yesterday.

Big applause when the Aussies passed 60. I think the applause was from the Aussie supporters

The millionth ball bowled in test cricket in England was bowled by Stokes to Warner and was hit for 4.

2 catches put down by the Poms. So different from yesterday.

Big applause when the Aussies passed 60. I think the applause was from the Aussie supporters

Game on!

David Warner has fought tigerishly in this second innings but this is a limp, lame dismissal. Stokes's delivery is back of a length on his hip and Warner spoons it horribly up into the leg side, top hand flying off the bat handle in disgust as soon he plays the shot. Stuart Broad settles under it and comfortably collects the catch. Australia, so dogged for so long, are suddenly beginning to unravel.

There was still some moisture in the pitch; always is at Trent Bridge on the first morning as it's so close to the river.

For once, the English slips held onto everything that came their way, and Stokes even got one that had passed him!

The forecast was for a bright, sunny afternoon and the pitch would have dried out by lunch; perfect for batting.

So it called for good, old fashioned Test batting in the first session. Only play balls you have to, defend, defend, defend and wait for a bad ball to score. Then after lunch when the sun was out and the pitch had dried, make hay.

Did the Aussies do that?

No. They reached for balls they could easily have left, those balls caught the edge and that was it; all out for 60.

I think this is the first time a bowler has taken 8 wickets, all catches with none of those catches by the wicketkeeper.

argh, but it wasn't swing bowling that got the Aussies unstuck. it was seam bowling as the great Glen Mcgrath has pointed out.

big difference !

Edited by tigerfish

This series really shows up the lack of quality batsmen in both sides.

Root has been the best by a fair bit followed by Rogers and Warner I reckon.

After those 3, everyone else has ranged from average to shocking.

Congratulations to the English team on victory of the ashes.thumbsup.gif (its close enough to over)

You always had some individual stand up and take games by the scruff of the neck as required throughout the series(except test 2)

Clarke has been a great servant of australian cricket as his record shows but after this test finishes its time to bow out.

Give the youngsters Marsh and Cummings a game and Smith captain in the last test to gain experience in the conditions.

Did the Aussies do that?

argh, but it wasn't swing bowling that got the Aussies unstuck. it was seam bowling as the great Glen Mcgrath has pointed out.

big difference !

But either way swing or with seam wouldnt it be fair to say lack of technique ie lack of 'softness of hands' needed to deal with the balls

movement cost the aussie batsmen.

rijit

Indeed, swing or seam. it was both lack of technique, soft hands as you say, plus attacking balls they should have left which did for the Aussie batsmen in the first innings; and the second.

Rogers and Warner played well at first, as is Voges; but the rest of Australia's top order seemed intent on getting the game over within 2 days!

243 for 8 as I type, Voges 1 away from his 50.