Consensus On Turn Signal Built Into Taillight?

WingNut

What is the general consensus on changing the taillight on a motorcycle to an aftermarket one that has the left and right turn signals built in?

I was thinking about cleaning up the tail a bit more and getting rid of the blinkers and replacing them with a rear taillight with the LED flashers built in.

I'm concerned about reduced visibility to cars behind me though when I'm turning.

Do people generally think it's a good idea or a bad idea in terms of safety? Or does it not make any difference?

Edited by WingNut

I wonder how the police will react, i hear aftermarket pipes are illegal and even after market lights. I have heard that I could get fined for the changes I made (let a mechanic put in halogen) because its not standard. So that is something to consider too.

I wonder how the police will react, i hear aftermarket pipes are illegal and even after market lights. I have heard that I could get fined for the changes I made (let a mechanic put in halogen) because its not standard. So that is something to consider too.

Maybe the police will have something to say, hard to tell though. I'd have thought not. As yet I've not been done for having no front turn signals.

As for visibility, I don't trust anyone to see or take notice of my signals so I always have a good look over my shoulder, and sometimes I use a hand signal as well.

It's the best things that happend to bikes, since sliced bread to humanity. I have used it for about six years on my ER6N and been stopped by the BIB many

times, I live outside Pattaya, and never had any complains about my taillight. Other bikers that been riding behind me say they have no problem to see my signals,

I recommend them because they are nice to look at and you never break the stem of the indicator light when you or your passenger leave the bike.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Next question is where is the best place to look for one locally? K-Speed, Furii Shop? I saws bunch of them on local sites before I believe when I was searching for a tail tidy, but forget which shops had them. Cheers...

Fitting these is pointless for most Thais as they don't understand the importance of signals. I told my wife Honda were introducing a special Thai Jazz which had no mirrors or indicators as these were never used in Thailand. She want to know how much discount was offered against a standard 'non-Thai' Jazz.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Next question is where is the best place to look for one locally? K-Speed, Furii Shop? I saws bunch of them on local sites before I believe when I was searching for a tail tidy, but forget which shops had them. Cheers...

I did my 300 at K-Speed, I'm sure they would have one that fits the 650 as well. Although I'm not too impressed with them at the moment, because I just found a big crack in the license plate mount they installed when they did the tail tidy. I haven't been hit or dropped the bike, so I guess it's just from the vibrations of riding.

post-176105-0-62189200-1435044739_thumb.

The tail light is working fine though!

I've seen an ER6 with the integrated blinker tail and it was visible enough for me to not say idiot.

So I say go for it; looks nicer.

I don't trust most of these cheap LEDs since they burn out or have cheap soldering.

So I put additional low profile black LED strips on the sides of my bike.

They are wired into the brakes and blinkers and are hardly visible until they actually light up.

Might be a good supplement to an integrated light.