Brewer opposes alcohol sale ban

webfact

Brewer opposes alcohol sale ban
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Asia Pacific Breweries (TAP), the brewer of Heineken, Tiger and Cheers beers, lashed out at the proposal to impose the ban on alcohol sale within 300 metres of university and college campuses.

"TAP believes that this proposal is both ill conceived and unnecessary," it said in a statement.

It said that the proposal was ill conceived ecause it assumes that underage drinking can be addressed by moving the point of sale when underage individuals will simply find another place to purchase alcohol.

It added that the new law was unnecessary because there are already appropriate laws in place that prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to individuals under the age of 20.

"It is not a question of needing new laws, but rather enforcing the laws that are already in place," it said.

It continued that the move will negatively impact consumers who have the right to purchase alcohol, merchants who have the right to sell alcohol, and the government who will have to task valuable resources enforcing an unnecessary law.

It added that the authorities should strictly enforce existing laws at retail outlets and entertainment venues that violate the law. It also urged the authorities to consider increasing the penalties for any drinker under the age of 20, and those who procure or sell any alcoholic beverages to them.

"The effective enforcement of this one law will do more than anything else to curb the issue of underage drinking and will not negatively impact any other stakeholders," it concluded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Brewer-opposes-alcohol-sale-ban-30262923.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-23

Here's a twist. There's a branch of a well known mainstream convenience store right next to the border fence of my university. It's less than 1 minute walk from one of the large entrance gates.

Maybe 2 years back quite suddenly the fridges were stocked with various beers.

Very quickly several student groups protested outside this store demanding that they stop selling alcohol. A couple of their well organized protests garnered several hundred students.

In reality 90 - 95% of the many customers at this C store are uni students. Amid their demands for alcohol to be removed from sale they were threatening to totally black ban this store.

The store quickly withdrew the alcohol.

Here's a twist. There's a branch of a well known mainstream convenience store right next to the border fence of my university. It's less than 1 minute walk from one of the large entrance gates.

Very quickly several student groups protested outside this store demanding that they stop selling alcohol. A couple of their well organized protests garnered several hundred students.

In reality 90 - 95% of the many customers at this C store are uni students. Amid their demands for alcohol to be removed from sale they were threatening to totally black ban this store.

Lets hope the fat kids don't organise and demand they stop selling chocolate.

I'm a little surprised to write that I am on the side of the brewer on this one.

Students who want to drink will drink. If they can drink within walking distance of campus many will do that. If the only places where they can drink are far away they will drive to them, then drive back drunk.

Better enforcement of existing laws is preferable to putting more young novice drivers and novice drinkers on the roads.

I'm a little surprised to write that I am on the side of the brewer on this one.

Students who want to drink will drink. If they can drink within walking distance of campus many will do that. If the only places where they can drink are far away they will drive to them, then drive back drunk.

Better enforcement of existing laws is preferable to putting more young novice drivers and novice drinkers on the roads.

and make realistic age limits...20?

For the same token you can say distance is an extra barrier and discourages doubters. Your point about drunk driving is valid.

Not sure what I think of this whole ban.

20, if thats the case then every alcohol sales area is breaking the law as the majority of buyers I see are a lot younger than 20. No surprise the alcohol maker doesnt want the ban, the fishermen dont want the bans on fishing either, whats new, they are too rapt up in their profit margins, wonder will stop selling alcohol like the fisho's if they go ahead with the ban, hahahahaha

20, if thats the case then every alcohol sales area is breaking the law as the majority of buyers I see are a lot younger than 20. No surprise the alcohol maker doesnt want the ban, the fishermen dont want the bans on fishing either, whats new, they are too rapt up in their profit margins, wonder will stop selling alcohol like the fisho's if they go ahead with the ban, hahahahaha

Hmmm I live close to a middle school and high school. When they finish at the end of the day, I have never seen any of them attempting to buy alcohol. I've never seen stores selling to students.

Perhaps you misinterpreted their motives for trying to ban the sales from that store. More than likely their families own a store a little down the street that had the market for alcohol sales to uni students cornered and didn't want competition.

Text book example of a few spoiling the sports of the many. They had solutions for these problem in more ancient times, which usually included blades, horses and ropes. Perhaps a revival would be in order.

Nothing will happen....but lets make a lot of noise so it seems like something will....Lets have a roadmap to a crackdown....and talk about it on TVision.........Lets bring light to all the problems. and broadcast it....that way the idiot moron voting. bloc thinks its being taken care of.

Youth network calls for forum on alcohol ban plan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The anti-alcohol youth network yesterday urged the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) to organise a forum to hear the opinions of students, university personnel and members of the public on the problem of alcohol being sold near universities and to voice their support of the proposed ban on the sale of alcohol within 300-500 metres of educational institutions.

Theerapat Kahawong, the network co-ordinator, submitted a letter to Surachai Liengboonlertchai, first vice president of the NLA, urging the agency to consider amending the Liquor Act of 1950 so it controls the number of liquor licences issued and increases the licence fees.

The Thai Asia Pacific Breweries (TAP) insisted yesterday that the proposed ban on the sale of alcohol within 300-500 metres of colleges was unnecessary. It said existing laws already prohibited the sale of alcohol to persons under 20. Such a ban would negatively impact consumers who have a right to purchase alcohol and merchants who have a right to sell such products, it said. TAP suggested the authorities increase the penalties for anyone under the age of 20 who buys alcohol and those who sell alcoholic beverages to them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Youth-network-calls-for-forum-on-alcohol-ban-plan-30262971.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-24

Perhaps you misinterpreted their motives for trying to ban the sales from that store. More than likely their families own a store a little down the street that had the market for alcohol sales to uni students cornered and didn't want competition.

Now that makes total Thai economic sense, would have to agree! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hmmm I live close to a middle school and high school. When they finish at the end of the day, I have never seen any of them attempting to buy alcohol. I've never seen stores selling to students.

I live close to some, don't know high school or university and sometimes I see some kids in school uniform sit and drink a beer together and I can't see what should be wrong with that. We in Europe did the same.

The further you keep alcohol sales away from campus the further the students will have to ride

there scooters to get supplies. After the first load gets consumed they will be riding there

scooters drunk for the re-supply. So I say keep the cold beverages within walking distance. thumbsup.gif

I enter shops selling alcohol, chocolates and ice cream most days of the week, and usually manage not to succumb to the temptation to purchase them, or any other legal substance available but not required, even though I do enjoy an occasional indulgence. Apparently expecting the same strength of will from a Thai university student is a bit much to ask.

I would love to know who is/are behind this youth network. Also, I think you will find that the network is representative of a very small minority of youths, both male and female. What right do they have to try to force their views on the majority?

I have said on another thread that this is not the answer but a typical knee jerk response from the holier than thou brigade. They may try to paint themselves as moral wardens of the people, but at the same time show a clear lack of intellect with their poorly thought out solutions to easily remedied problems. The answer is proper policing and enforcement of the law.

Edited by GarryP