Former police chief Kamronwit arrested in Japan

Gulfsailor

I didn't see any thread about this on Thaivisa. Former police chief Khamronwit was arrested at Narita airport yesterday for trying to take a handgun and ammunition on board a plane.

Japan must be the worst country in the world to pull that trick in, with a minimum jail sentence of three years for import of a firearm, 1 - 10 year for possession and also minimum 3+ years for possession of firearm with ammunition. not considering the penalties for taking a loaded gun on a plane...

Kamronwit held by Japanese police at Narita airport with firearms

Former metropolitan police commissioner Kamronwit Thoopkrachang has been held in police custody in Japan after a handgun and ammunition were found in his possession as he was about to board a THAI flight bound for Bangkok on the night of June 22.

Initial report said that Pol Lt-Gen Kamronwit admitted to the Japanese police that the firearms belong to him and he showed his police identification card and gun licence to the Japanese authorities.

The ex-police commissioner also told the Japanese authorities that he didn’t know when the firearms were left in his baggage, said the report, adding that officials of the Thai embassy in Tokyo had stepped in to arrange for legal counseling for Kamronwit.

More here - Thai PBS

[thaipbs][/thaipbs]

Moved to Thailand News

Former BKK Police Chief 'Arrested With Gun' in Japanese Airport

BANGKOK — The former commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police has been detained at an airport in Japan for trying to carry a gun on-board a Bangkok-bound aircraft, a police spokesperson said.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang was detained yesterday evening after security officers found a firearm and some ammunition in his carry-on bag at Narita Airport, one of two international airports in Tokyo, said police spokesperson Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri.

"Right now, we are checking the details," Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth told reporters. "Why he was carrying the gun, and whether he carried the gun past a security checkpoint in Thailand, I cannot say. We have to clearly check details first, and then we will coordinate with him to ask how we can assist."

A source at the Royal Thai Police told Matichon that Kamronwit left Thailand on a Thai Airways flight on 18 June and was scheduled to return on a 9:50 pm flight yesterday. According to the source, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit told Japanese police he owned the gun, but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit has long been considered a close ally to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed in a military coup in 2006 but still retains considerable influence over a powerful political dynasty. The officer retired from the Royal Thai Police in October 2014, five months after the military staged a coup d'etat against a government led by Thaksin’s sister.

Earlier this month, five Thai students were arrested at an airport in Pakistan for allegedly attempting to carry a handgun, magazine, and ammunition onboard a plane bound for Bangkok. Thai authorities have not released details about the students' possible motive. The five are still being held in Pakistani custody.

Khaosod

[khaosod][/khaosod]

Seems logical that on 18 June when he departed Thailand on his flight to Japan, he was carrying the same firearm and ammunition - but it was not discovered by airport security.

Also this...

According to the source, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit told Japanese police he owned the gun, but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

Hmm. I have misplaced my car keys...and my spectacles a few times...but my gun and ammo???

Seems logical that on 18 June when he departed Thailand on his flight to Japan, he was carrying the same firearm and ammunition - but it was not discovered by airport security.

Also this...

According to the source, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit told Japanese police he owned the gun, but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

Hmm. I have misplaced my car keys...and my spectacles a few times...but my gun and ammo???

He was no doubt waived through as a VIP to his free first class seat on Thai Airways without any checks in Bangkok. Japan is a a lot more strict and guns are not allowed. He will try to pull dimplomatic strings to escape facing serious charges.

And it demonstrates why Thailand has seen its aviation administration red flagged by the ICAO.

Edited by Jay Sata

Excellent news. This will put a spring in the step of the politically aware. I bet you he shows the Jap police his photo of getting his wings pinned on by Thaksin to get let off, only they won't know/care who his little tin pot god is.

Edit to add, do you think if enough TVF'ers email the Jap authorities suggesting his terror links he might be detained a while longer?

Edited by jaidam

Officials of the Thai embassy in Tokyo had stepped in to arrange for legal counseling for Kamronwit.

Earlier this month, five Thai students were arrested at an airport in Pakistan for allegedly attempting to carry a handgun, magazine, and ammunition onboard a plane bound for Bangkok.

I don't condone either action, but am sure that the Thai students received the same level of "legal counseling" as Karonwit... Not!!!

Edited by bangkokfrog

I believe him. I always store my gun and ammo in my airline carry-on bag when not using it and remove it when I have to fly. I sure hope I don't ever forget like former former Metropolitan Police Chief Kamronwit did. /sarc

Seriously, bringing a gun into Japan? That ranks with Sir Paul McCartney trying to bring in a half pound of pot (for personal use) for a concert tour in 1980; he spent 9 days in jail and was deported. Or, most recently, Johnny Depp illegally importing his dogs into Australia. Most likely he will benefit from the world-wide double-standard applied to VIPs. If you or I did that we would be looking as serious prison time.

story runs here:

Former BKK Police Chief 'Arrested With Gun' in Japanese Airport
By Khaosod English

14350602381435060426l.jpg
File photo of then-commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang ® speaking to reporters on 1 March 2013.

BANGKOK — The former commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police has been detained at an airport in Japan for trying to carry a gun on-board a Bangkok-bound aircraft, a police spokesperson said.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....panese-airport/

//CLOSED//

/Admin