Former American football captain dies after motorcycle accident in Thailand

webfact

Former captain of UND's 2001 national title team dies in Thailand
By Tom Miller

GRAND FORKS: -- Dale Lennon remembers sitting in his office at Memorial Stadium after UND opened the 1999 season with a shutout of Northern Michigan.

It was the first career start for sophomore inside linebacker Travis O’Neel.

“An old alum came in and said ‘Who is No. 36? He’s going to be good,’” Lennon recalled. “I said, ‘I know.’”

For the former North Dakota coach, that was one of the lasting memories of O’Neel, 36, who died Tuesday at a hospital in Thailand after suffering injuries there when his motorcycle collided with a truck.

The collision was Friday, resulting in two broken shins, a broken femur, a broken hip, a broken arm and a significant head injury to both his skull and brain, according to his CaringBridge website.

O’Neel, originally from Eden Prairie, Minn., played at UND from 1997 through 2001 and was a captain on the school’s NCAA Division II national championship team.

“He had one of those personalities everyone gravitated toward,” teammate and fellow linebacker Eric Schmidt said. “He was a good player, but more importantly, he was a good teammate. He was a leader. He’s a guy, I think, personified what our team was all about.”

Full story: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3772835-former-captain-unds-2001-national-title-team-dies-thailand

-- Grand Forks Herald 2015-06-24

RIP.

Along with the average 12 others that died that day on Thailand's appalling roads.

If Thailand is all about the money, when will the government, both national and local, start to seriously enforce road safety by imposing hefty and enforced fines?

A relatively small investment of a nation-wide computer system (Could be web-based, that keeps track of fines and offenders all the way to licence renewal etc), several hundred extra road cops, and the revenue will pour in. Strict enforcement....vehicle confiscation if caught driving with an unpaid fine, arrest for repeat offenders, and so on.

This kind of tragedy happens every day and it has to stop.

RIP.

Along with the average 12 others that died that day on Thailand's appalling roads.

If Thailand is all about the money, when will the government, both national and local, start to seriously enforce road safety by imposing hefty and enforced fines?

A relatively small investment of a nation-wide computer system (Could be web-based, that keeps track of fines and offenders all the way to licence renewal etc), several hundred extra road cops, and the revenue will pour in. Strict enforcement....vehicle confiscation if caught driving with an unpaid fine, arrest for repeat offenders, and so on.

More like 50 a day!

RIP.

The official figure is around 80 per day but that does not include the ones that die later in hospital.

Yes they could introduce the computer but as most villagers do not have a licence it matters not. The fines in the country are 2/300 baht so around a days wages and double that in the cities.

They do need to do something, however the big stick will not work. They need to start driver training (scooter) for the kids 10+, be a good job for qualified Farangs as the BIB's not qualified. They need to be taught defensive riding and when they pass out be given a special licence. The little ones will be proud when they get the licence and that is likely to influence the other kids. ??

I had the pleasure of working with Travis. Such a charming, intelligent, young man and a well qualified and experienced educator. Sad for his Thai wife and 2 children. It makes you think how careful you have to be when you remember the people who depend on you. 36 yrs old, had a great life in front of him.

I had the pleasure of working with Travis. Such a charming, intelligent, young man and a well qualified and experienced educator. Sad for his Thai wife and 2 children. It makes you think how careful you have to be when you remember the people who depend on you. 36 yrs old, had a great life in front of him.

A good comment to think about when living in Thailand, to easy to forget. Of course this is sad news, but a great point in the quote above for those of us alive.

Thannks.

Stay off motorbikes/cycles in Thailand.

They are deathtraps - Roadway (such as they are) Roulette.

If you must travel in Thailand be at least in a car and even those are just lower risk.

R.I.P. Mr. O'Neel

Edited by MaxYakov

My condolences to the friends and family of the victim. I spent time in the Grand Forks area and also Minnesota. Some very fine people in the area. I am sure he will be missed.

Thailand's roads are a killing field...this is not Thai bashing...it is a fact...and no one in Thailand seems to have the analytical skills to tackle the problem...so...more of the same to come...you can not be too careful or predict from which direction you will be destroyed as few pay attention to the rules of the road...driving against the flow of traffic is common and the cause of many accidents...

Once again we see a tragedy for someone and their family turned into a Thai bash.

I neither knew him or knew of him but I can see the waste of a young life and the sadness for his family.

It's not a Thai bash, mate. It a face up to reality and let's try to make this sort of thing not happen discussion.

Once again we see a tragedy for someone and their family turned into a Thai bash.

I neither knew him or knew of him but I can see the waste of a young life and the sadness for his family.

Very sad to see another senseless roadkilling but how is it thai bashing to critizise the maniacs on the roads here ... ?

At a Thai Forum in my homecountry I feel it as my duty to warn people that want to come here that Thailand is by far the most dangerous country to spend your Holiday in - not to mention the daily extortion from the police etc. etc. etc. ....

Sorry, but how many stupid foreigners arrive here without driving licences for motorcycle and rent a big motorcycle...

some of them drunk too and never care of other People...so why we Need sorry about them...they never cared other lifes too....

but if he had a license and just not see his risk...rip...

y drived moto Guzzi le mans 850ccm in my Country but never drive in Citys here because y wish to live some more years...pp

Sorry, but how many stupid foreigners arrive here without driving licences for motorcycle and rent a big motorcycle...

some of them drunk too and never care of other People...so why we Need sorry about them...they never cared other lifes too....

y drived moto Guzzi le mans 850ccm in my Country but never drive in Citys here because y wish to live some more years...pp

You sound like the receptacle in which one washes his peter.

RIP.

But TH is still a developing country. Compare to most developing ones, it's not that bad.

If you must travel in Thailand be at least in a car and even those are just lower risk.

R.I.P. Mr. O'Neel

It is not the motorcycle/cycle that kills you it is the idiot that runs into you or the idiot that is operating the 2 wheeler that causes the accident. 30 years of careful motorcycle riding here and still going strong. I have no desire to travel in a tin can on 4 wheels.

The LeMans II? One of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

Am not sure, but I think my adopted town of Chiang Rai has the worst drivers in Thailand. We've got cars and truck going through red lights - between 3 to 5 seconds after the lights turn red. Probably the single most dangerous of the many dangerous driving methods of Thais, is cutting right turns waaaaaaay too tight. Driver education classes won't make a dent. What's needed is a sea-change in how Thai people think. They need to think in less-selfish ways. It's as tough to change deep-set thinking patterns as it is to teach a leopard to make pancakes. Thai kids grow up watching their parents drive like selfish non-thinking snobs, so they kids are going to drive the same when they're adults.

There's a joke, though it's not so much of a joke when applied to Thai drivers:

Somchai is driving with his friend. He goes through a red light. His friend says, "you're crazy, you just went through a red light!" Somchai says, "mai pen rai, my brother drives through red lights all the time." Same thing happens a 2nd time. At the 3rd intersection, Somchai stops for a green light. His friend says, "What's your problem? A green light means 'go'. Why aren't you driving through?" Somchai: "my brother might be coming the other way."

R.I.P. Mr. O'Neel

It is not the motorcycle/cycle that kills you it is the idiot that runs into you or the idiot that is operating the 2 wheeler that causes the accident. 30 years of careful motorcycle riding here and still going strong. I have no desire to travel in a tin can on 4 wheels.

I agree somewhat, with both above posts. I've adapted to driving in Thailand (motorbikes and cars) - like a demure little old lady. Whenever I see another vehicle, I assume the driver is crazed, and capable of eradic behavior. Of course, I can't see the ding dongs which come around a blind corner in my direction - at speed IN MY LANE, so when I'm about to take a blind curve to the left, I honk, and even then, hug the inside of the corner.

The LeMans II? One of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

And the Mk III, nearly bought one back in the mid eighties while I was living in Sydney. Guzzi lost the plot with the Mk IV though