Banking complaints where to?

Having gotten no sense out of Tanachart Bank who even deny debiting money from my account when I have proof they have, is there any outside authority to complain to like an ombudsman service? If so where and how to do so?

Keep all docs of banking deposits...it is a shame and disgrace that even the banking in this country has become corrupt...

Even when you have all your docs...sometimes the banks will try to argue with you...

Good Luck...

Yes, there is and they are quite good. I had a problem with SCB and within a day after I made a complaint to the Office of Consumer Protection, the money was back in my account, coincidence ? , I think not

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

A couple of years ago, I simply mentioned that I would go to OCPB at city hall in Pattaya. Bank manager backed down immediately. This department has sharp teeth and all its business is conducted in English.

Never had that happen to me in all my life where a bank takes money out but then flat out denies it.

Just doesn't make sense, not that I don't believe you Jacky54.

Nationwide says it does not make sense either. I never had a heart attack but I believe people when they tell me they had one!

Yes, there is and they are quite good. I had a problem with SCB and within a day after I made a complaint to the Office of Consumer Protection, the money was back in my account, coincidence ? , I think not

On the odd occasion I've had a problem with a Thai bank, I've managed to resolve it, to my eventual satisfaction. But I'll bear this in mind.

OP,

What kind of proof do you have? Maybe a passbook or ibanking transaction/printout? If so, there is a transaction on record to show that reduction in your balance unless the bank is just lowering your balance with no transaction record to reflect the reason for that debit. Are you saying the transaction does not detail what the debit was for?

Now next question is what that transaction was for? Probably some fee? Like maybe an annual debit card fee...a transfer or bill payment fee?

And then there is always the missing money caused by a skimmed debit card or another person using your card who happened to know your PIN...but then that would show up as an ATM debit.

Fine to complain to some consumer protection agency, but just make sure you it's not a valid a fee you just don't understand or forgot about.

Edited by Pib

What a valuable piece of information.....Thank you.

message for scb.bank i will be doing another transfer in about 2months time,exactly how i have done over the past 6yrs.so if you scam or should i say rob me this time i too will be making a complaint to the above,and yes i have all the proof of what you done. we do have a certain amount of intelligence,which you seem to be lacking.

I just remembered you have the other thread talking the SWIFT transfer issue with Thanachart...I expect that's the debit/fee you are talking about for the consumer protection complaint.

As one piece of paperwork to help chase down the true source of the extra fee be sure to get from Thanachart a printout of the SWIFT transfer arrival. Assuming it gives the same level of detailed I've got in printout from Bangkok Bank before it will show exactly how much money arrived and how the incoming coding was regarding how the beneficiary receiving fee needs to be paid which goes back to questions asked of you in the SWIFT transfer thread asking how "you" coded the fees to be paid. That printout (if like a Bangkok Bank printout) provides quite a bit of info above and beyond what appears in your passbook or ibanking on the transaction...to include the last bank the funds came from like if a Correspondent bank was part of the rabbit trail.

Good luck going down the rabbit trail as I know it can be very frustrating when the cause and source of the fee can't be nailed down exactly....and don't discount yourself as the cause if you happened to have selected the wrong sending selection in how fees would be paid....even though it worked without additional fees in the past maybe NW changed something that is now causing the fee to be charged with the fee payment selection you always used before.

Heck, I had a heated discussion with one of my U.S. banks just two nights ago regarding credit card advance payments and how they changed their rules in Jan 15 of this year and then tweaked the rules again around April to no longer allow a payment to exceed the balance due on a card if doing the payment using their ibanking to transfer funds/make a payment to the card. While their system showed the transfer/payment as occurring in the "processed transfers" section (and still do to this day) the funds would actually "not" be debited from my bank account to the card....and you would not notice this unless coming back to your ibanking in the next day or two to confirm the payment had occurred--which had not. Anyway, these rule changes probably related to how folks such as myself were using the system to do cash advances without getting hit with any cash advance interest charges (my card is also a no cash advance fee and no foreign transaction fee card). Now a person must wait until the cash advance posts to the system, you can do an immediate payment to "exactly" match the card balance, it "will" fully process/payment made to the card, but when the dust settles you will get at least one day's interest charge which amounts to less than one-half a USD per day for this card. But I don't like paying fees of any amount if there is a way not to and of course it appears the fee should not have been charged in the first place kinda like in your situation. Plus all of last year I did at least a half dozen cash advances and was able to pay before the cash advances posted to the account thereby avoiding any interest charge at all...my payment transfers did actually transfer. But this rabbit trail journey revealed my card-issuing bank tweaked their credit card payment system rules twice in early 2015 to close a loophole that was causing them to lose out on some fees. Banksters they are.

Edited by Pib

I just remembered you have the other thread talking the SWIFT transfer issue with Thanachart...I expect that's the debit/fee you are talking about for the consumer protection complaint.

As one piece of paperwork to help chase down the true source of the extra fee be sure to get from Thanachart a printout of the SWIFT transfer arrival.

Got this yesterday from Yanachart, come via HSBC but no mention at all of any fees or charges, just the amount the exchange rate and then the amount in Baht

As one piece of paperwork to help chase down the true source of the extra fee be sure to get from Thanachart a printout of the SWIFT transfer arrival.

Got this yesterday from Yanachart, come via HSBC but no mention at all of any fees or charges, just the amount the exchange rate and then the amount in Baht

Since Thanachart apparently didn't charge the typical Thai bank 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee" upon receiving the money" and then maybe relaying a charge back to NW which you are trying to confirm whether they did or not regardless of what they are saying now, you should be able to figure out what HSBC may have charged as the correspondent bank by subtracting the sterling amount that arrived from the amount you sent...the difference would be HSBC's correspondent bank fee if they charged a fee unless they didn't charge a fee as the funds initially flowed through them and are really the ones generating the late to arrive fee. Good luck.

Does anyone know the Office of Consumer protection callcentre 1166 opening hours. I called at about 4:30pm today, it was closed. The afterhours answerphone message is in Thai.

I called the hotline around 12 noon and there is an option dial '9' for English at the beginning of the call.

Edited text: Called again now to listen to afterhours message it says "... something Huk Sam sip nati" - So closed at 16:30hrs perhaps.

Edited by meltingpot2015

• 4 weeks later...

After writing to Tanachart CEO at head office and no reply, thought I would try the the consumer 'protection' office, so emailed them. No reply so wrote to them including bank statements and letter from nationwide confirming Tanachart had made unauthorized withdrawal from my account. Guess what, not even a reply to that- farcical Thailand.

After writing to Tanachart CEO at head office and no reply, thought I would try the the consumer 'protection' office, so emailed them. No reply so wrote to them including bank statements and letter from nationwide confirming Tanachart had made unauthorized withdrawal from my account. Guess what, not even a reply to that- farcical Thailand.

Call the Office of Consumer Protection. Maybe they never got your email.

it seems a bit strange that so many other people on this thread have nothing but good things to say about the Office of Consumer Protection - including me !!(after they helped me with a tremendous win against one of Thailand's biggest companies who wouldn't budge an inch until OCPB made them giggle.gif ) and yet you are insinuating they are ineffective?ermm.gif

Maybe they don't react the same to emails but all I know is I sent them a hard copy of everything (including filling out their complaint form- did you do that?) by courier and they dealt with everything most efficiently to my full satisfaction.smile.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Does anyone know the Office of Consumer protection callcentre 1166 opening hours. I called at about 4:30pm today, it was closed. The afterhours answerphone message is in Thai.

I called the hotline around 12 noon and there is an option dial '9' for English at the beginning of the call.

Edited text: Called again now to listen to afterhours message it says "... something Huk Sam sip nati" - So closed at 16:30hrs perhaps.

9-16pm

around midday to 1,2pm is lunch time

They do not exactly over work themselves.

Best time to call is around 11am

i wouldnt put up with that j54,make a complaint about them.angry.png

Even Nationwide can get no answer from Tanachart on why they took money out of my account, blatant theft in my opinion

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear about this, so your issue lies with the Thanachart Bank Public Company Ltd.

They are at the moment not replying to our investigation, is there anything that you would like me to do specifically in regards to this investigation?

Regards,
Customer Consultant
http://www.nationwide.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

9-16pm

around midday to 1,2pm is lunch time

Best time to call is around 11am

You are not kidding. I visited them once around 12:30pm. Waited half hour, staff were lounging around in the staff room chatting past 1pm. 1:10pm, still they were in the staff room, chatting.

Asked a senior staff member what's going on, then he went and dragged them out of that room. They all ambled back to their seats. You'd think that they come to their desk 5 minutes before 1pm and get all set for work. That's 15 minutes multiplied by how ever many support desk staff there was (about 5). This happens everyday of the week, all year round. Quite a bit of work hours lost.