Japanese prosecutors to take another 10 days to decide whether to prosecute Kamronwit

webfact

Japanese prosecutors to take another 10 days to decide whether to prosecute Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit

BANGKOK, 26 June 2015 (NNT)-The Royal Thai Police has revealed that Japanese prosecutors have yet to make a decision whether to charge Police Lieutenant General Kamronwit Thoopkrachang.

Royal Thai Police Spokesperson Police Lieutenant General Prawut Thawornsiri said it would take 10 more days for the Japanese prosecutors to decide whether to press charges against the former Thai Metro Police Chief.

Under the Japanese law, the process may take as long as 20 days. Kamronwit's son has not been allowed to visit him in Japan as attempting to take a gun onto the plane is considered a serious offense.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-26 footer_n.gif

wondering why he would feel the need to be armed in Japan? Why in his carry on, most likely to be found there. Perhaps a mental evaluation is in order?

As an alternative how about a combination of naivety and arrogance as in being a somebody in LoS must apply everywhere else ?

I'm sitting on the toilet thinking about this and I firmly believe that he took the gun to Japan to give to his yakuza boss, but it wasn't accepted because Kamronwitless wouldn't cut off his little finger.

This will come out in his trial. Just wait!

post-47588-0-70148200-1435287604_thumb.j

Japanese prosecutor seeks 10 more days to detain former Bangkok police chief

25-6-2558-12-11-57-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police says the Japanese prosecutors have sought to detain the former Bangkok police chief for 10 more days before making a decision whether to indict him.

Royal Thai Police spokesperson Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thavornsiri said Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrachang would be held in custody for 10 more days for the Japanese prosecutors to decide whether to impose charges against him.

He said under the Japanese law, the process may take as long as 20 days to collect more evidence.

He said the former Bangkok police chief’s son tried to visit him but was not permitted because the offence for attempting to carry a gun onto the plane is considered a serious offence.

According to the Japanese law, offender could face 10-30 years in prison if the gun carried on board is loaded.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/japanese-prosecutor-seeks-10-more-days-to-detain-former-bangkok-police-chief

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-26

wondering why he would feel the need to be armed in Japan? Why in his carry on, most likely to be found there. Perhaps a mental evaluation is in order?

In the same way that you or I would routinely carry a toothbrush when traveling, perhaps Kamronwit always carries a gun in Thailand and just forgot to remove it for his overseas trip. Most plausible explanation I can find. If that is what the Japanese believe, he might even be allowed to get away with it.

I wonder if Thailand knows how it looks internationally, or cares. There are still memories of stories of mass graves of human trafficking in the South and stifling the press and attitude adjustments as is coming up for the press now and arresting minor protesters and laughable airline safety and...

It's apparent that the Japanese don't think much of the Thais as they are quick to embarrass the Thais over charter flights and now they have this opportunity. I'm thinking they might hold the guy just to prove they can and then release him with some kind of sanctions. One way or other I think they get their pound of flesh...

Dunno.

As an alternative how about a combination of naivety and arrogance as in being a somebody in LoS must apply everywhere else ?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I reckon suvanbhumi DID know he took it with him and he gave it the big "I am" there so they Let him go on the flight. I'd of loved to of seen his face when he tried that in Japan. We don't care how much of a corrupt 'policeman' Or how many connections you have sir.

In the same way that you or I would routinely carry a toothbrush when traveling, perhaps Kamronwit always carries a gun in Thailand and just forgot to remove it for his overseas trip. Most plausible explanation I can find. If that is what the Japanese believe, he might even be allowed to get away with it.

Doubt it.

The problem is that stupidity is not a defence. Even if he took the gun with him accidentally, his actions AFTER he found it were illegal. He could taken the gun to the embassy and asked them to ship it home, he could have taken it to a police station and informed them of his mistake, he could have disposed of it in any number of ways, but instead he tried to carry it onto a plane.

BTW His future depends on what they charge him with. It might be one charge, perhaps possession, but if they load him with all the possible charges, his goose is cooked.

Oh dear prosecutors please take all the time you need - we can wait, it's OK.

I am sure from his active career he is already to used dragging things along for a very long time until proper payment arrives (unfortuantely for him it is not a practice to accept brown envelopes by Japanese police).

The weapon found was no a standard military or police issue firearm.

It was a highly covert .22 or .24 miniature revolver known in Europe in the early 1900's as a whores pistol as they were easy to conceal in a bra or garter belt. Only deadly at very close range and you would be hard pressed to hit a barn door with such a firearm at any more that a few meters.

Personally I hope they throw the book at him as an indication to this country that outside the confines of their own jurisdiction, laws are actually enforced regardless of status of position.

One has to ask what sort of security message would the Japanese convey to the rest on the world if they let him off the hook. It would set a very bad message and set a precedent that if we (Japs) catch you with a gun we will give you a warning first time and let you off. No matter how much diplomatic pressure Thailand puts on Japan for them to let him off they would surely be conveying an poor image of their home security. Also the Japanese are no different to other Asian races and do not like losing face. I believe he will be doing porridge after a diplomatic deal is struck.

There's another issue that hasn't been mentioned other than the airport. In Japan having a gun period is illegal. That could, and should cause him additional problems.

This is false. Firearms are not illegal in Japan. They are just extremely tightly regulated, and pistols are not available to private citizens.

Just to be clear.

"Kamronwit's son has not been allowed to visit him in Japan as attempting to take a gun onto the plane is considered a serious offense"

​Unlike Thailand where it happen every day I guess.

I like the way this is panning out the self important creep in the slammer his saviour son with the gun license denied contact.

He must be squirming, never been so inconvenienced like this before.

I am sure the family of the police man killed by the Red Bull brat in Bangkok are smiling that the man who let him flee to Singapore is now locked up.

His son was denied access to poor old dad.

I can imagine him trying to say in Japanese ...Do you know who I am?

There's another issue that hasn't been mentioned other than the airport. In Japan having a gun period is illegal. That could, and should cause him additional problems.

This is false. Firearms are not illegal in Japan. They are just extremely tightly regulated, and pistols are not available to private citizens.

Just to be clear.

I stand corrected. I'll substitute "illegal" for "extremely tightly regulated and not available to private citizens". (Seems like semantics to me but hey....)

From Google translate:

Do you know who I am = Anata wa watashi ga dare ka shitte imasu
No and I do not care = Īe, watashi wa ki ni shimasen
I will take you to jail = Watashi wa keimusho ni iku koto ga dekimasu

Wow, Japanese is really a beautiful language.

This has certainly added a new dimension to his freeloading trip courtesy of the Thai taxpayer.

One can only wonder how he is dealing with his anger and frustration at not being in control for once.

20 minutes should do to study the evidence. Very clear, loaded gun (no matter what the size, a deringer is still a deringer) in his possession and caught red handed. Further confesses to owning it, finger prints all over it. Case closed.

Now let me see. If I had turned with a small stash of class A drugs in my hand luggage and confessed to them being mine ...... would I see the light of day for a few years ...... nah. I don't think my "it was mistake" excuse would be taken into consideration!

Nice to see that the playing field may be a little more even in other countries ........ even if there is some furious political string pulling going on. This is a hot potato and if there is a light sentence it simply sets a precedent to others to do the same and point back to this case. I cannot see that happening.

Swampy is now saying it has conveniently deleted the scans of Kamronwit's checked in luggage that overlooked a gun and ammunition. The CTX are supposed to detect even small amounts of explosive, or even residue, automatically (remember they were bought at vast expense for several times the list price by the Thaksin regime). It should easily have picked up the powder in Kamronwit's .22 magnum cartriges.

It is pretty obvious that that the whole story is an elaborate pack of lies concocted to cover up the fact that Kamronwit was permitted to pass through the physical check with a loaded gun in his hand luggage or on his person.

Fantastic news for Thailand's muddle attempts to convince the world that its airports and airlines are safe and well regulated.

I hope the Japanese treat Kamronwit like any other Thai or Japanese caught trying to board a plane with a loaded gun and throw the book at him. Should give him enough time to do an open university degree in Japanese.