What type of printer do you own in Thailand?

ghworker2010

I shipped over all my stuff from the nanny state along with an old printer. Now looking to buy a new one that must also have a scanner. Im confused by all the different options available and dont know what to buy. We dont do very much printing here at home but simply want a colour printer to use once or twice a week.

What do you recommend? Ink jet or laser? Should I go for tank or cartridge. Whats the most economical option when the ink runs out??

Im clueless about the options and if you have time to explain it would be appreciated.

cheers

Edited by ghworker2010

I just bought an HP desk jet from PowerBuy, it cost Thb 2990 and scans, copies, and prints. It works on WiFi so you can print from any device including your iPhone or tablet. There are cheaper ones around Thb 2500 but they have the wifi. Canon are also available at around the same price - so it's your preference of brand.

The HP software is very user friendly.

I have a "HP 2060 Ink Advantage" (printer/scanner) and a "Brother DCP-1510" monochrome laser (printer/scanner).

The HP 2060 is only marketed in Asia (as far as I know).

Think twice whether you need color!

The Brother is very robust, fast, reliable. Can be used infrequently without problems.

The HP: again and again problems with dry ink (when using sporadically),

Only good point: cartridges can be refilled muliple times without problems (maybe some reset procedure necessary which is described in the internet).

If you buy original new cartridges they are "cheaper" (than for comparable European/US models).

But still expensive compared to a mono laser.

A complete set of black and tricolor close to 800 Baht (while the printer is in the 2xxx Baht range).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ditto for wireless. No more being bound to a cord for placement. Anywhere your wireless reaches and you have power you can place it. Everyone who's set up for it and has access to your network can use it as can all your personal devices.

My current and last 3 have all been HP and I've been happy. I have Outlook calendar set to pop up once a week and remind me to print a picture I keep on my desktop. Otherwise I agree the jets can dry out.

I had both a laser printer and an ink jet back home. I used the laser printer for turning out high numbers of quality printouts fast. Otherwise for everyday stuff it was the inkjet. We had two HP printers die on us in three years here, so I also will be looking at other brands.

Been using a HP for a few years, scans and prints fast and never had a problem with dry ink or blockages after long periods of inactivity. Windows 8 and 10 install drivers automatically so no need to fiddle about searching and downloading. HP also has very good support in Linux distros. The only thing I don't like is that the cartridges don't last real long and can be expensive to replace. Better that though than refilling at the cheap Thai ink stores: heard nothing but problems from people who did that.

For years I used an Epson T11 inkjet printer with the external ink tanks. It got to the stage where is wasn't worth fixing anymore. I now have a Brother HL 3170 CDW laser printer.

The Inkjet is better for photos and is considerably slower. The ink dries out often, so you're always mucking around with it. The initial investment was considerably cheaper.

The color laser printer is extremely fast and comes with a 3 year on site warranty. the initial investment was considerably more. The WiFi is extremely handy. No longer bound by a cord and can be used by other devices. Since it doesn't have ink that dries out, I never have to muck around with it.

My advice, go with the laser printer if you don't print out pictures. You'll never look back. Of course if you want pictures, go with an inkjet that uses the external ink tanks!

In either case get a WiFi capable printer, it's worth the slight extra cost!

By the way, I'll never use an HP printer ever again. Definatley overrated. I have several that make good door stops.

Edited by BB1950

'I shipped over all my stuff from the nanny state along with an old printer.'

Then, welcome to the new Super-Nanny-State clap2.gif

Apart from that, i have a HP all-in-one inkjet printer. It's ok, but their software and drivers are not well build. For that, i wouldn't buy anymore a HP.

If you decide to buy a printer w/ink tank, make sure to buy from a shop where their English is clear enough to explain the solutions to some issues that will probably come up.

First among those issues will probably be your printer warning you with flashing lights that there is a print cartridge problem usually something about "Un-Authorized blah blah" In other words, they will try to stop you from using the ink tank instead of their outrageously expensive cartridges. You may also get a host of "Low Ink" warnings even though the tanks are full.

There are work-arounds for these warnings but each brand has it's own methods so be sure they do explain what to do when this crops up.

Epson L210 - the one with Epson's large external tanks. Filled them up once - bluddy expensive: 250 baht per each, 4 needed.

Still, better than my Canon Pixma MX328 with tanks fitted by the idiot shop guy and sold to the idiot buyer - me. No end of problems, constant cleaning of heads and wasting ink and paper, replaced the heads twice. Now sitting on my junk pile. The scanner still works. rolleyes.gif

I have given up on inkjet printers. Unless you print frequently, they will just clog up and be more trouble than they are worth. Admittedly, I do not print ofter. At best, maybe once a month.

Personally, I will never buy inkjet again. Now I have a laser printer (not color). It can sit unused for months at a time and still print perfectly when called upon. I bought a small Samsung Laser printer a few years ago for about 1500 baht. Still running fine.

As for HP and their software, absolutely the worst company ever for drivers and software. Full of bloatware and the software is so buggy. Never again would I buy HP. Ok, i would buy a HP laser, but absolutely not an inkjet. Plus it seems like HP do not update drivers when a newer OS appears. So anything a couple of years old becomes obsolete.

I got a samsung laser and wireless printer from big c recently. Couldnt figure out the wireless but seems quite good. Im kicking myself for not getting one with a scanner tho. Everytime i need a scan i get a 60baht mc taxi down to the print shop and email it back to myself

I have a samsung 3 in 1 . mono Laser Has been very good. Only down side is Samsung toners seem to be expensive compared with other brands such as Brother ( I get the toners refilled but still more expensive) and if i was to buy another printer i would go for one with a auto feeder for scanning plus duplex printing - more of an priority than WiFi at the moment.

I have given up on inkjet printers. Unless you print frequently, they will just clog up and be more trouble than they are worth. <snip>

I print a multicoloured page automatically every time my desktop PC starts to keep the ink flowing.

Epson L355.... refil tanks, can buy original ink 250 baht per bottle or generic @ 100 baht... no paper jams yet, wifi, scanner but cannot program to print multiple from one scan unless you hook up to computerrr, but doing so does mean you can tweak image before you print........ it's ok.