How much is enough to retire in Phuket?

jjJJ1133

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 grand USD is enough, unless you are stupid. Retirement visa no problem, just need a statement from the embassy or 800.000 baht savings in a Thai bank

3 grand is now almost 100.000 baht, a few months ago maybe 85.000-90.000 baht.

AGAIN, you can have a good life in Thailand with 1 grand. (1000USD = 30.000+TB)

The other 2 grand is stupid drink and boom boom money.

You have plenty to retire on and come here to live the lifestyle you talk of.

Be aware adding a partner will cost you.

Up to you as they say here.

My only concern would be medical/health insurance.

I agree, your pension will be more than enough to live the lifestyle you describe. As for health cover, as you are under 60, you could join BUPA, at a reasonable rate, and get health insurance for life. If you wait until after your 60th birthday to take out health insurance, you can still get cover with BUPA, but only up to age 70. Beyond that, if you want health insurance you will have to insure with the numerous international (non Thai) insurance companies, but their charges are outrageous. I'm living in BKK, have a Thai fiancé to whom I pay an allowance each month, play golf once per week, rent a fully furnished condo and get by quite comfortably on 53000 baht per month.

Does anyone else get a bit fed up of these endless posts- how much to retire in Chang Mai, Nakhon Nowhere, Bangkok, Khorat, Pattaya, etc etc etc.

You have a monthly disposable income.

Your lifestyle has to comply with your income.

If you are planning to live in a country that you have no clue about living costs- go somewhere else.

Phuket is expensive but should be fine with that amount. Youre definately going to need a motorbike or a car because the transport costs too much there. The nightlife is very expensive in phuket and that 3000 might go quick if you play up a lot. If youre going to take a ladyfriend on dont flash that money around too much. Pattaya is way cheaper for everything but its a bit of a depressing place with low class girls and not great quality tourists frequenting the place. But its got its charm

Health care is your big concern - all the other expenses you can control for the most part. A laid back life style with lots of beer and using tuk tuks instead of walking will not likely result in great health. In addition, for many people including myself, 55 to 65 is when serious things start to go wrong healthwise. At 64 I had to have a knee replaced, the next year a cancerous prostate had to be removed, two years later the cancer returned in the bed tissue requiring 35 radiation sessions. This was followed by triple by-pass and aortic valve replacement surgery. The latest was a Pacemaker which now provides 90% of my heartbeats. Any of these events in Thailand will be very costly and if you don't have the money you will not get treated. My Thai wife had no prior serious illnesses when a nagging cough caused a trip to the biggest hospital here in Pattaya. Nine days later she was dead from lung cancer that had spread to her.brain. Totally dissatisfied with the "big expensive hospital" that could not determine the nature of her ailment and could not get a doctor down from Bangkok to do the test for 2 weeks. Every day they would run chest scans and take x-rays running the costs up for no reason. The cost to keep her in Pattaya was 45,000 baht per day. Bumrumgrad wanted a 500,000 baht deposit to admit her and we were moving her there. The ambulance nurse decided enroute, based on vital signs, that she was not likely to live long enough to make Bangkok. She passed away two days later at a lesser known but a helluva lot better Pattaya hospital. Yes you can buy health insurance here but common sense will tell you that they are not going to renew if ii ain't profitable. Yes you can get accident insurance and if you open an account at Bangkok Bank you can get 200,000 baht worth of coverage for one year for 1,600 baht. No, you can not count on getting back to the USA if something serious happens. Your health may not permit it and/or the airlines may refuse to carry you. Life is a crap shoot so roll them if you will. My own personal philosophy of late has been "Man plans, God laughs". I am 76 years old now and I spend two hours a day in the gym. Afterwards at least two or three days a week I drink a lot of beer on the way home. The other four or five days I drink a lot of vodka or Bacardi at home. I now have a 34-year old lady living in and looking after my every need. There is no way in hell I would ever consider returning to the USA to live in a nursing home. If you make it to Pattaya send me a message and I'll buy the beer.. In any event, have a great life.

If you've been in Thailand for awhile you'll see prices going up little by little.Inflation.To live comfortable maybe do some

Traveling.Emergencies do come up.For me I believe 1 million baht A year .Approximately just under 100000 baht A

Month.With that you should be fine.

For a million a year if live like a king & then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of what ??

My rent was almost a million a year on Phuket.. OK sure it was a nice villa, but 'king' ??? I know guys who go through over 200k a month and its still not regal..

If you've been in Thailand for awhile you'll see prices going up little by little.Inflation.To live comfortable maybe do some

Traveling.Emergencies do come up.For me I believe 1 million baht A year .Approximately just under 100000 baht A

Month.With that you should be fine.

For a million a year if live like a king & then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of what ??

My rent was almost a million a year on Phuket.. OK sure it was a nice villa, but 'king' ??? I know guys who go through over 200k a month and its still not regal..

Good for you.(sarcasm)

Edited by Shot

You can live on US$3k/mo, but not as well as some may lead you to believe.

Your abillity to eat cheap may be a good bennie. Even better if you can drink cheaply too. I know I like Thai food, but I also like Western foods--and I like the most expensive of both: steak, lamb, prawns, crab and fish. I also prefer imported beer and whiskey. Therefore, I can easily eat and drink US$2k/mo--that's only B2k/day and you say you want Pattaya/Phuket prices.

If you don't stray far from home and don't go back and forth much, tuk-tuks may be plausible, but most Pattaya/Phuket tuk-tuks want B100-200 for even the shortest trips. A scooter would get you around easier and may even be less expensive over the long run. Even a car is worthwhile, you can actually go out and about. I have both a car and a Harley, so I pay a lot just for gas, not to mention taxes, insurance, purchase and maintenance costs, but I also have a great time traveling all over Thailand--which then costs even more because of hotels and every meal out.

If you can live in a low-cost small apartment without a/c and without the best cable and internet, you may be able to live on US$3-400/mo, maybe even less, but a nicer place with liberal a/c use and the best cable and internet are going to cost most of that last US$1k/mo.

Granted, not a bad lifestyle, unless you also want a lady of negotiable virtue now and again. Or worse yet, enter into a relationship that results in your spending for two, or three or more--including the sick buffalo and a new house.

Or, if you have to purchase a necessity; or worse yet, have to pay for medical care.

Most expats I know simply stay home and/or exist on the cheap for as many days a month as they have to, just to live on the money they get.

If you want to go out everyday and spend for fun every day--which I believe is a goal of us all, it certainly is for me-- you will find US$3k/mo a tight budget.

If you get a BUPA Thailand medical policy before you turn age 61, they will insure you for life.

If you wait until age 61 or after, I believe they drop you at age 70.

A shoulder repair after a bicycle crash was billed at 210,000 baht at Bangkok Phuket Hospital...glad to have the insurance...basic plan is cheap.

Take the amount you intend to pay for rent

Double that to include monthly incidentals

Take 20% of that amount for nightlife and female companionship

The math looks like: 25,000b rent + 25,000b incidentals + 10,000b nightlife = 60,000b total (reasonable estimate)

My logic is the amount you are willing to spend on rent will basically determine your overall lifestyle spending. In the long term nobody is going to pay high rent and eat rice, or live in a 4,000 baht flat and piss the rest away on the ladies.

SL

As tourist destinations, Pattaya and Phuket are going to be more expensive than a lot of less fashionable Thai cities. However, $3000 US a month will be more than enough. I'd suggest putting some effort into saving 500K to 1 M baht as a buffer for emergencies.

As far as the ladies are concerned, one will eventually nail you when you get tired of the one-night stands. Thai women can be very seductive. When/if that happens, it's imperative you retain control of your finances. Dump her if she starts costing you more than you can afford, and under no circumstances have shared assets or bank accounts - that's a recipe for disaster.

In reply to OP.

It’s all depending of life-style, but $3,000, nearly 100k baht, would do.

You shall count around 40k baht a month for long-term rent and modest daily needs and food – like 20-25k baht a month for reasonable bungalow/house/condo; 500 baht a day, i.e. 15,000 month for food.

If you don’t have a health insurance covering you for Thailand, you may need one – as example a Bupa Platinum will be in the area of 50k a year, plus/minus depending of options, and the fee will go up at 60-years and 65-years; so count at least 5k a month for health insurance. Do also include some ongoing savings for a “rainy day” account; that may become handy.

For clothes, transportation, other needs, outings, bar-visits and entertainment you will have about 45k baht left, that’s 1,500 a day or about 10k a weekend...whistling.gif

Wish you good luck with your plans. smile.png

If he is a retired civil service employee, he probably already has medical insurance provided by a private company through the U.S. Govt. Monthly premiums are taken directly from your annuity and are very reasonable because the government pays the majority of the premium.

Does anyone else get a bit fed up of these endless posts- how much to retire in Chang Mai, Nakhon Nowhere, Bangkok, Khorat, Pattaya, etc etc etc.

You have a monthly disposable income.

Your lifestyle has to comply with your income.

If you are planning to live in a country that you have no clue about living costs- go somewhere else.

As I said in my post it's been quite along time since I've been to Thailand and really just wanted to get a "basic" idea of the costs these days. Living almost 9000 miles away from Thailand isn't very conducive to getting a "clue" about living costs. Isn't that one of the things that the forum is all about? If you get a bit fed up with posts such as this then why the hell do you read them? Not only do you read them but you respond to them with your indifferent attitude. No need for you to reply to this as I really don't need to read any more of your negative drivel. As they say "There's one everywhere you go"

As I said in my post it's been quite along time since I've been to Thailand and really just wanted to get a "basic" idea of the costs these days.

The problem is this question has been asked many times many ways.

The reality is you can have anywhere between a very simple and a quite lavish lifestyle in Thailand, with "basic" being in the eyes of the beholder.

For a retirement visa one of the financial requirement options is to have 800,000 THB in a local bank account. That is 66,666 THB a month, which IMO and all thing being equal is a good number to start with.

SL