Reckless driver faces B1,000 fine after falling Phuket lamp post with SUV

Lite Beer

He is 21 yrs old, I bet he does not have a drivers license. Insurance comp should check on this and at that age where did the money come from to buy that new looking SUV Drugs I bet or his dad's car.

If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out. Have they checked him for alcohol or drugs.

Why would he not have a DL?

And where did you get this nonsense from? "If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out."

It's not just this; the whole fines system in this country is ridiculous: 500 baht for common assault, 1000 baht for smashing a lamppost, 2000 baht for smoking in a public park. It depends upon when the law was last amended, I should think. Needs a complete rehash.

Don't forget that, unless he has 1st class insurance, he'll have to pay for the damage to his own car. And if he does have first class insurance there may still be a deductable. Plus he'll be without transfer for quite some time.

So yes, fine is quite low, but it is not like after paying he can continue driving his car.

Let us hope he has to pay. Maybe something will give this kid some perspective on life. Calling him a man is a bit much. More like a man child.

Don't forget that, unless he has 1st class insurance, he'll have to pay for the damage to his own car. And if he does have first class insurance there may still be a deductable. Plus he'll be without transfer for quite some time.

So yes, fine is quite low, but it is not like after paying he can continue driving his car.

He will need to pay to fix the pole too.

He will need to pay to fix the pole too.

The fix to the pole is covered on 1st, second and third class insurance. Only the compulsory insurance will not cover that. Also the insurance company has already stated they pay for the damage to the pole, so the driver will not have to pay for that.

Edited by stevenl

The 1000 Baht is the maximum fine will probably end up with a 500 baht fine rather than the very harsh and steep 1000 Baht his poor children need food for the day rather than handing over the accident prone man’s last 1000 baht to the greedy police

He is 21 yrs old, I bet he does not have a drivers license. Insurance comp should check on this and at that age where did the money come from to buy that new looking SUV Drugs I bet or his dad's car.

If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out. Have they checked him for alcohol or drugs.

Either you are joking or you are one sick puppy.

He still has to pay for any repairs, signs, posts, road surface and so on. The fine he"s got does not include this cost.

PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property

I presume "signs, posts, road surface and so on" comes under the auspices of "public property"?

Edited by sambum

And where did you get this nonsense from? "If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out

Probably from reading the fine print on the western insurance policy. There is usually a d!ck head clause somewhere.

Edited by Mudcrab

And where did you get this nonsense from? "If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out

Probably from reading the fine print on the western insurance policy. There is usually a d!ck head clause somewhere.
No. There is probably a clause excluding damage while intoxicated and one excluding own damage while not wearing a seatbelt, but not a 'dick head clause'. Edited by stevenl

If we are honest, when we were 21 year old drivers we probably all had a hairy moment when we discovered the limits of tyre adhesion in the rain. Ok we didn't all end up hitting a post and being on the news, but I bet it's something most of us can relate to.

Try not to be so hard on the lad.

I have to agree with you, I lived in the mussel car era, and with all the so called judges on here who've never did anything wrong, I'd probable be a lifer behind bars.

Thais only have ONE mode of driving ... regardless of weather or road conditions. Anything more would require logic and an awareness of the consequences of their actions ... which aren't really strong Thai traits.

This is a correct summary of Thai attitude to driving... its all part of Thainess...

He still has to pay for any repairs, signs, posts, road surface and so on. The fine he"s got does not include this cost.

PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property

I presume "signs, posts, road surface and so on" comes under the auspices of "public property"?

'sambum'..... What's with the catty post?..... Chill, I didn't set his fine at a 1000 Baht did I?

OK, I can see where you coming from on this, now I'll tell you why I said what I said; I recently had an accident, not my fault, I was not fined....OK so far. But because the other driver, (the one who made the accident) did a runner and could not be traced, I was left to pay for the damage to public property this is the cost of repair.... not a fine.

..... It comes as a separate bill from the highways agency..... Not the police........ Once more........damage to public property is not includid in the fine.

As for your posting this as evidence that a 1000 Baht was ALL he paid; "PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property"

If this is your evidence......Really, you take what’s written as fact in these rags,,,,,,These rags put out as investigative journalism.... Really?

'sambum'..... What's with the catty post?..... Chill, I didn't set his fine at a 1000 Baht did I?

OK, I can see where you coming from on this, now I'll tell you why I said what I said; I recently had an accident, not my fault, I was not fined....OK so far. But because the other driver, (the one who made the accident) did a runner and could not be traced, I was left to pay for the damage to public property this is the cost of repair.... not a fine.

..... It comes as a separate bill from the highways agency..... Not the police........ Once more........damage to public property is not includid in the fine.

As for your posting this as evidence that a 1000 Baht was ALL he paid; "PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property"

If this is your evidence......Really, you take what’s written as fact in these rags,,,,,,These rags put out as investigative journalism.... Really?

Sorry, Tonto, but the post was not meant to be "catty"! I was merely pointing out that the way I read it the fine was for reckless driving and the cost of damage to public property.

I sympathise with your bad experience where you ended up having to pay for someone else's misdemeanour, but that does not mean that in this case, the driver will end up having to pay other costs - each case is different. Can I assume that in your case, you are a farang, and the guy that did a runner was a Thai? If so, that explains a lot!

However, as you yourself have pointed out, "PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property" and unless you have evidence to the contrary, I assume that is all that he is charged with, otherwise the statement would have read differently.

Regarding your final statement, at some point we have to accept what facts we are given, (in this case an incident in Phuket, covered by the Phuket News) and if we start to "cherry pick" the facts available, we are in danger of becoming like one or two other posters on this site who quote/believe only the facts that suit them, and conveniently forget/ignore the one that don't, and keep spouting on about "conspiracy theories" etc.

Edited by sambum

stupid stupid 1000 baht fine it's had to be 10000 baht and police take the driving licence for good cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The problem with fines here is that they were worked out many years ago when 1,000 Baht was a lot of money. This is why you see reports of eg A 500 Baht fine or 5 years in prison.. It seems to us that there is no logic in the difference, but if you go back 20 or 30 years a 500 Baht fine would have ben enourmous.

stupid stupid 1000 baht fine it's had to be 10000 baht and police take the driving licence for good cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The problem with fines here is that they were worked out many years ago when 1,000 Baht was a lot of money. This is why you see reports of eg A 500 Baht fine or 5 years in prison.. It seems to us that there is no logic in the difference, but if you go back 20 or 30 years a 500 Baht fine would have ben enourmous.

Agree with what you say, but lots of things were "worked out" many years ago, but have changed over the years in line with inflation (wages, utility costs etc), so why not fines?