Experience with buying a big bike here in Thailand?

Mouthwash

Hello everyone, I'm very interested to hear about your opinions on buying a big motorcycle here in Thailand. It can be any brand, i'm curious to like literally how it works. And what it requires to buy a motorcycle.

I'm still a beginner, and in the process of getting my motorcycle license, and afterwards working my way up to get a big bike.

And i'd like know if there are any difficulties when buying a bike here in Thailand? Such as registration, ownership and servicing? And in general maintenance costs? I understand costs depends largely on the bike.

Right now, i'm particularly interested in cafe racers, the triumph thruxton in particular and am trying to get involved in the cafe racer scene. I like customization and loud exhausts biggrin.png I plan to get one in the future and than do some heavily modification. The guys working at the Official triumph store on RCA, said that modifying a bike here is easy, you just tell them which parts you want and they bolt it on for you.

I like learning and doing things like that myself but does anyone what it cost to have such service done? i.e affordable or expensive?

Thanks smile.png

Legal Book in the Sellers Name and Taxes Payed...Many here Try to sell on Invoice--Avoid these at all cost...Legal is the Key word here and go with seller to Transfer the Book into your Name..Visa and Residency Cert Required

How much is your life worth?

If you're going to mod a bike make sure the person is expert and has the equipment. For instance, reducing back pressure on exhaust by installing a free flowing will lean out the mixture and cause heat and shortened engine life. You might even get less power. Changing both the intake restriction and the exhaust restriction will make that worse. Someone has to have a dyno and the testing equipment + the ability to do a custom download to your computer to enrich that mixture, and then the ability to test it again until it's right throughout the power band.

Some guys just take the baffles out of exhaust to make lots of noise and cause lost power and engine life.

Have fun. sad.png

Legal Book in the Sellers Name and Taxes Payed...Many here Try to sell on Invoice--Avoid these at all cost...Legal is the Key word here and go with seller to Transfer the Book into your Name..Visa and Residency Cert Required

Ok so all legal documents be handled carefully. Invoice? May i ask what the negatives are when required to pay through this method? Its the first time I've heard of it being used in Thailand. Or, when i normally purchase a car or bike, i'd write a cheque.

Also Modified Bikes are a Target for the Police..Hua Hin hits you for 1000 THB Fine for any Bike even slightly Modified especially Exhaust and More cities are following suit

Hmmm.... that's interesting. It's sad see to see that the freedom to modify your bikes is slowly being taken away or is started to become controlled. I can understand that with some certain bikes and straight pipes can be overly loud and cause noise pollution but when it comes to classic bikes and vintage cars than its a different story.

How much is your life worth?

If you're going to mod a bike make sure the person is expert and has the equipment. For instance, reducing back pressure on exhaust by installing a free flowing will lean out the mixture and cause heat and shortened engine life. You might even get less power. Changing both the intake restriction and the exhaust restriction will make that worse. Someone has to have a dyno and the testing equipment + the ability to do a custom download to your computer to enrich that mixture, and then the ability to test it again until it's right throughout the power band.

Some guys just take the baffles out of exhaust to make lots of noise and cause lost power and engine life.

Have fun. sad.png

I do value my life biggrin.png

that sounds like a very thought out process. I can understand that when doing certain changes to a bike there will be a power loss.

At the moment i only intend to do minor changes, and i'm in the process of finding out how to do these small changes myself.

Stay away from Lifans like their the plague, well, maybe unless you live in BKK. I understand they have factory trained personnel. In the provinces, don't bet on it. Had one for about a year and I've got of box load of receipts for all the things that went wrong with the bike. The provincial dealer was completely unable to maintain the bike and I was rolling it in (sometimes working, sometimes not) almost every month. I finally dumped the pos at a lost just to get rid of it. Worst vehicle purchase I've made in my life. FYI, just my own opinion. But it's left such a bad impression with me that I will never buy another motorcycle made in China - ever. Craveat emptor - buyer beware.

Suggestion? Stick with Honda or other Japanese bikes. I've had a number of Honda cars and motorcycles and have never had a problem either mechanically or with service.

Edited by connda

All I've ever needed to buy a motorcycle (and register it in my name) was a Certificate of Residency (TM18), the green book and sales receipt. The first few times I did it, all I had was a 30 day "Visa on Arrival" stamp in my passport.

There are numerous shops everywhere that can/will modify bikes of almost any size/type. Go to one of the (larger) Bike Weeks and you can see all manner of modded bikes. Basically, whatever you want done can be done, as long as you've got the $$ to pay for it.

content_1_-_art_by_predator_helmet_custo

(Note - Not me and not my bike !)

As my Harley is over 10 years old now, every year I have to have it inspected before I can renew the government insurance/registration/road tax. It appears they are only looking at the exhaust emissions. If a bike doesn't have the proper green book I wouldn't touch it. Many bikes are assembled from parts and haven't been properly registered (or had the proper taxes paid), therefore they can't get a "legal" green book for them. As a result you can't get insurance. I'm told that you can get a book for a bike that doesn't have one, but it can cost upwards of 300,000 baht. I'm not sure if that ends up with a legal "green book" or an illegal "grey" (or "bent") book.

Edited by Kerryd

Will add to the above in that their are several second hand bike sites here in Thailand. What goes for USA, Europe, Australia etc goes double here, not only for language difficulties here but perhaps more so for expats selling.

From personal experience here in Ubon R I would recommend that if buying a bike, particularly from a 'farang' get him to list the the bike's condition with claimed work done on it with a 'Notary Public' ( lawyer ) - duly stamped and including his name and copy of his passport signed and dated. A copy of his yellow book ( residential ) or TM 18 ( the same as you will need ).

The money should be paid into a bank account in the passport holders name.

This will not totally guard against a dodgy operator but :

> you will have recourse to legal action, if and when the deal goes sour

> you will likely dampen his enthusiasm to sell you a crappy bike or, encourage him to be honest

If all the above fails, lodge a complaint with web site. I and another TV member did this and they ( Baht 'n Sold ) suspended his account.

This did of course did not stop him for long and he is back operating in a thin disguise, seemingly has sold a few older bikes again in recent times.

He is not alone. The method employed is to import older 'classical' bikes in pieces from Japan ( and elsewhere ) re-assemble then tart them up with a very nice paint job, but little else.

All the above does not mean there are not legit refreshed bikes out there but the steps mentioned above will not deter the honest guys.

Even if you offer an extra 1000 to 1500 baht for the extra authenticated paperwork, it will like be well spent if you go to the Thai Consumer Affairs ( yes there is one ! )

There are maybe more stringent steps but these are the ones I wish I had taken!

Rob

Edited by Capt Rob

If you want to ride around annoying people with loud exhausts where they are quite unnecessary, then I hope the police pull you up at ever opportunity.

I have a big bike and I certainly would not ride about with a loud exhaust.

Stay away from Lifans like their the plague, well, maybe unless you live in BKK. I understand they have factory trained personnel. In the provinces, don't bet on it. Had one for about a year and I've got of box load of receipts for all the things that went wrong with the bike. The provincial dealer was completely unable to maintain the bike and I was rolling it in (sometimes working, sometimes not) almost every month. I finally dumped the pos at a lost just to get rid of it. Worst vehicle purchase I've made in my life. FYI, just my own opinion. But it's left such a bad impression with me that I will never buy another motorcycle made in China - ever. Craveat emptor - buyer beware.

Suggestion? Stick with Honda or other Japanese bikes. I've had a number of Honda cars and motorcycles and have never had a problem either mechanically or with service.

Well, I guess there are lemons and sugar everywhere, but I have good words for Chinese bikes. I bought a used Zhongshen Platinum 150 eight years ago as a second bike for around town. I rode it for three or four years, then my son rode it for a year, then a friend for another year. I gave it to my Filipino brother-in law about three years ago. He put a sidecar on it. It still runs strong, no major repairs; nothing more than gas, oil, filters, batteries, brakes, tires, carb cleaning, and plugs. It must have 300,000km on it now and runs everyday.

True, legal book and transferred into your name is the way to go--yes, and do have the seller go with you to transfer the book; if he doesn't want to, don't buy it. Too many big bikes have illegal books, having the owner there when you transfer the book and before you give him the money can save heart-ache. Many other big bikes are here on the invoice only; however, they sell much cheaper. I know many Thais and some farangs who have big bikes on invoice only, but I want the legal book.

If you want to ride around annoying people with loud exhausts where they are quite unnecessary, then I hope the police pull you up at ever opportunity.

I live outside city's, i modified the exhaust so far that i am sure they hear me coming...

The dogs hear me...

The children hear me...

Its not that i am speeding... but surely maintain an higher average speed as Thai normally do...

The second good thing about a slightly louder exhaust... i drive a better MPG since and am able to drive at the lowest RPM, about 2% more torque low end..

and, the average speed is also lower because its annoyingly louder ;-)

Have fun, drive safe..

But OP, first crawl, then steps, then walk, run...

You still need to go for your first Motorbike DL and you already want to handle a big bike ? and in Thailand ???

ow ow ow...coffee1.gif

I live outside city's, i modified the exhaust so far that i am sure they hear me coming...

The dogs hear me...

The children hear me...

Its not that i am speeding... but surely maintain an higher average speed as Thai normally do...

The second good thing about a slightly louder exhaust... i drive a better MPG since and am able to drive at the lowest RPM, about 2% more torque low end..

and, the average speed is also lower because its annoyingly louder ;-)

Have fun, drive safe..

But OP, first crawl, then steps, then walk, run...

You still need to go for your first Motorbike DL and you already want to handle a big bike ? and in Thailand ???

ow ow ow...coffee1.gif

Sounds like you want to be heard, because you drive faster (higher average speed) than the Thai locals. Is that wise or safe? I see you have no qualms about

being "annoyingly louder". Rather a "me, me" selfish attitude towards the locals for the sake of saving a few baht on fuel. As a former motorcycle rider I found that being seen by others safer than being heard, so I always rode with my lights on. Of course, an occasional toot on the horn was necessary. IMHO there's already enough unnecessary noise in Thailand without adding to it by wanting to be heard for the sake of a few baht.

Edited by joebrown

Well, I guess there are lemons and sugar everywhere, but I have good words for Chinese bikes. I bought a used Zhongshen Platinum 150 eight years ago as a second bike for around town. I rode it for three or four years, then my son rode it for a year, then a friend for another year. I gave it to my Filipino brother-in law about three years ago. He put a sidecar on it. It still runs strong, no major repairs; nothing more than gas, oil, filters, batteries, brakes, tires, carb cleaning, and plugs. It must have 300,000km on it now and runs everyday.

No problem. Lemons and sugar are everywhere. I'm glad you had a good experience with your bike.

Just out of curiosity. Did you live somewhere where there was a Zhongshen dealer with factory trained mechanics, or did the bike just run so good that all you needed to do is change the oil every 3000 km. Every Honda I've ever had was a 'change the oil every 3000 km" and it ran like clockwork. I've had two Honda cars and two Honda motorcycles (both in the US and Thaland) The Lifan? Crap. The ability of the provincial dealer to maintain it: Crap. I will not name the province. Defamation laws here are, well: Crap.

Like I said before, if you buy a Lifan, and get can factory trained support, you may actually like it. It was a really enjoyable bike to ride. I liked the bike, even though there was problems with important things like the rear suspension. But, I could not get it professionally maintained. And the dealer? Arrogant to a fault. But his staff: Excellent service. His mechanics: No idea where they came from, but doubt they ever were sent to Lifan factory training, and unlike his front office staff, the mechanic were about as non-communicative as their employer. Why do I think this. Because I'm not a mechanical idiot, but some of the questions I asked both the owner and mechanics, I got answers back that were beyond stupid. If I had a franchise like Lifan or any other company, I'd make it mandatory that one factory trained - and certified - mechanic was employed by every franchise owner.

Actually, buy any Big Bike, and you should make sure you have a factory trained mechanic around to service it. Bottom line Imho. Doing otherwise is a recipe for the BS soup that I drank for over a year. Am I still pissed - yeah.

If you want to buy Chinese, do your homework. Otherwise buy Japanese or EU or US bikes. Pay more? Yep. But you'll not have the problems associated with a manufacturer trying to enter a market with franchisees who may have the moral backbone of a <use your imagination>. If you have a brain I don't need to spell it out to you.

Best of luck!

Edited by connda

Also Modified Bikes are a Target for the Police..Hua Hin hits you for 1000 THB Fine for any Bike even slightly Modified especially Exhaust and More cities are following suit

I understand that the noise limit for motorcycles is 95dB. Go over that and you're not only breaking the law but not very thoughtful of all the people who have to put up with your noise.

I would recommend that if buying a bike, particularly from a 'farang' get him to list the the bike's condition with claimed work done on it with a 'Notary Public' ( lawyer ) - duly stamped and including his name and copy of his passport signed and dated.

Rob

Sorry for your losses, but nobody is ever going to do that.

As always with secondhand anything caveat emptor

No problem. Lemons and sugar are everywhere. I'm glad you had a good experience with your bike.

Just out of curiosity. Did you live somewhere where there was a Zhongshen dealer with factory trained mechanics, or did the bike just run so good that all you needed to do is change the oil every 3000 km. Every Honda I've ever had was a 'change the oil every 3000 km" and it ran like clockwork. I've had two Honda cars and two Honda motorcycles (both in the US and Thaland) The Lifan? Crap. The ability of the provincial dealer to maintain it: Crap. I will not name the province. Defamation laws here are, well: Crap.

Like I said before, if you buy a Lifan, and get can factory trained support, you may actually like it. It was a really enjoyable bike to ride. I liked the bike, even though there was problems with important things like the rear suspension. But, I could not get it professionally maintained. And the dealer? Arrogant to a fault. But his staff: Excellent service. His mechanics: No idea where they came from, but doubt they ever were sent to Lifan factory training, and unlike his front office staff, the mechanic were about as non-communicative as their employer. Why do I think this. Because I'm not a mechanical idiot, but some of the questions I asked both the owner and mechanics, I got answers back that were beyond stupid. If I had a franchise like Lifan or any other company, I'd make it mandatory that one factory trained - and certified - mechanic was employed by every franchise owner.

Actually, buy any Big Bike, and you should make sure you have a factory trained mechanic around to service it. Bottom line Imho. Doing otherwise is a recipe for the BS soup that I drank for over a year. Am I still pissed - yeah.

If you want to buy Chinese, do your homework. Otherwise buy Japanese or EU or US bikes. Pay more? Yep. But you'll not have the problems associated with a manufacturer trying to enter a market with franchisees who may have the moral backbone of a <use your imagination>. If you have a brain I don't need to spell it out to you.

Best of luck!

I bought it from another farang who was the original owner, and yes there was a Platinum dealer in Hatyai. However, about a year after I bought it, they closed, then so did the JRD dealer--the other Chinese bike dealer. Interestingly, during the year I had it when the dealer was still there, I took it for service--the only thing wrong was the light was out for which gear it was in; and with that circular shifting pattern, you never knew where it was. Somehow it was still in warranty--three years, it must have been--I was not charged for the bulb, plug cleaning, the oil and gas filters, or for the brakes, clutch and carb adjustments; only for the oil. I was saddened to see them close.

I hear you about the hassles of having a big bike with no service around. I also have a Harley, but have a good friend who is a good Harley man. If I did not have him, I would stick to a Honda--less prone to problems and more knowledgeable service technicians about.

WOW !! hold on there kiddo, (i haven't read all the threads,) you are a beginner and want a big bike,? recipe for disaster methinks, first things is get A1 medical insurance, as sure as hell you are gonna need it, ME !! riding big bikes for 50 years,in the U.K (R1, Fireblades, Aprillia) track days !!. never had one accident, you wont get me on a bike in Thailand. i like living too much, but all the best in your quest.

The Triumph Bonnevilles are very popular to modify a bit by more open exhaust pipes and intake and will give the bike perhaps 10-15% more power.

As mentioned the FI will likely need re-mapping but you can get that done at a Triumph dealer (I think).

Most aircooled big bike engines are having difficulties passing emissions/noise control and are starved from the factory so make them "breathing" more freely will make the bike run better and cooler.

But now they will apparently be clamping down on that.

I run original exhaust on my 650cc bike, and will keep on doing that, in Pattaya there are many clamp downs and I don't want to pay 1000 baht each week for that.