After nearly a half century, Heathrow closes terminal

webfact

After nearly a half century, Heathrow closes terminal

LONDON: -- At the time of its opening in 1968, Terminal 1 at Heathrow was the largest airport terminal in Europe. But now, after 27 years of welcoming tourists and seeing travelers off, Terminal 1 will close its doors.

Heathrow Terminal 1, opened by Queen Elizabeth II in May 1968, will say goodbye to its final passengers this evening. The terminal will close after 47 years with airlines having completed their move to new, modern world class facilities. The final departure will be a British Airways flight to Hanover, leaving on the evening of Monday June 29. British Airways (formally BEA) were also the first airline to operate from the terminal in 1968.

Since 2003, Heathrow has invested £11 billion in transforming Heathrow. Over the last year, the majority of flights have been moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and as a result, over 60% of Heathrow passengers will now experience new, world class facilities in Terminal 5 and Terminal 2. This was recognized at the 2015 World Airport Awards when Heathrow was awarded the ‘Best Airport in Western Europe’ by passengers.

The Terminal closure will make way for improved service and way finding around the airport and eventually an extension of the new Terminal 2 will take its place. If the Government supports a third runway at Heathrow then Terminal 2 will be extended farther, providing enough capacity to connect Britain to the world for the 21st century.

Terminal 1 was renowned for being the biggest short-haul terminal of its kind in Western Europe and handled approximately 9 million passengers at full capacity. In the last few weeks, the terminal has been home to just 17 flights and around 1,700 passengers a day as airlines were phased out of the Terminal.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/60782/after-nearly-half-century-heathrow-closes-terminal

-- eTN 2015-06-29

Is it 27 or 47 years? Don't no one proof read?

You missed another one.

"The Terminal closure will make way for improved service and way finding around the airport and eventually an extension of the new Terminal 2 will take its place."

What is "way finding"?

You missed another one.

"The Terminal closure will make way for improved service and way finding around the airport and eventually an extension of the new Terminal 2 will take its place."

What is "way finding"?

y

I wondered for a minute as well, but remembering the rat's maze of roads connecting T1-T2-T3 maybe it makes sense. ?

Worked for BA 38 years in Terminal 1 then moved to Terminal 3. retired 2.5 years ago. Sad but that's progress. Terminal 1 hit overcapacity 10 years after it was built, same as Terminal 5 BA's newest home. BA moved its long haul Singapore, Bangkok, and Australia flights along with some europeandestinations to Terminal 3 on the opening of Terminal 5 as they knew then the Terminal was going to be to small. After several building extentions to Terminal 5 and a rejig of their operation the Terminal is still overloaded. The demolishing of Terminal 1 will make way for the extention of the new Terminal 2 which was opened last year.. Its not Terminals they need Its a new runway which would ease the delays.

Never used Heathrow for over ten years and hope to never set foot there again.

I prefer to use my local airport where I can be sitting at home only a hour after the flight touched down unlike Heathrow where the plane could still be looking for somewhere to park.

Last year I made the erroneous decision of flying into Terminal 2 from Cork and then finding my way to Terminal 4 for my flight to Bangkok. On arrival at Terminal 2, I was informed Heathrow Express had a free service connecting the two terminals, so I walked to the station only to be told that Heathrow Express was experiencing difificulties that day and t service had been suspended, but I could get a bus form the long distance bus terminal. The bus refused to carry me because I had not arrived at Heathrow on a National Express service, but there was a commuter bus available for transfers to terminal 4. I could not find the bus stop, so I tried the tube. No they could not carry me to Terminal 4 unless I paid the monstrous sum of GBP 5.00 for the two stop trip. Well, I couldn't pay because Ireland uses Euros and not Sterling pounds, of which I had none. I went to an ATM and got myself the required sum and then was able to travel to Terminal 4 for my flight. This process had taken over an hour, so was staggered to find a queue which must have comprised of nearly 1000 people waiting for the two Jet Airways services to India that night. I joined the line at 6.15 pm, but still had not reached a check in desk at 7.30pm. At this point the airline panicked and asked all New Delihi passengers jump the line and get checked in. This I did. I finally reached the departure gate at 8.25. for an 8.45 flight. All in all took me three hours and 25 minutes to get form one terminal to another and check in for another flight. Never again....!!

Last year I made the erroneous decision of flying into Terminal 2 from Cork and then finding my way to Terminal 4 for my flight to Bangkok. On arrival at Terminal 2, I was informed Heathrow Express had a free service connecting the two terminals, so I walked to the station only to be told that Heathrow Express was experiencing difificulties that day and t service had been suspended, but I could get a bus form the long distance bus terminal. The bus refused to carry me because I had not arrived at Heathrow on a National Express service, but there was a commuter bus available for transfers to terminal 4. I could not find the bus stop, so I tried the tube. No they could not carry me to Terminal 4 unless I paid the monstrous sum of GBP 5.00 for the two stop trip. Well, I couldn't pay because Ireland uses Euros and not Sterling pounds, of which I had none. I went to an ATM and got myself the required sum and then was able to travel to Terminal 4 for my flight. This process had taken over an hour, so was staggered to find a queue which must have comprised of nearly 1000 people waiting for the two Jet Airways services to India that night. I joined the line at 6.15 pm, but still had not reached a check in desk at 7.30pm. At this point the airline panicked and asked all New Delihi passengers jump the line and get checked in. This I did. I finally reached the departure gate at 8.25. for an 8.45 flight. All in all took me three hours and 25 minutes to get form one terminal to another and check in for another flight. Never again....!!

I can't comment on your problems with Terminal 1 but the issues you had with Jet Airways are normal.

I have flown with them a couple of times but never again.

You could have pointed out all the hassle you also encountered in Mumbai and Delhi !

"as a result, over 60% of Heathrow passengers will now experience new, world class facilities in Terminal 5 and Terminal 2. This was recognized at the 2015 World Airport Awards when Heathrow was awarded the ‘Best Airport in Western Europe’ by passengers."

and the other 40% gloss over the c**p they still have to put up with in Terminals 3 and 4.....

Question: If the replacement for Terminal 1 will become Terminal 2B, then where will Terminal 1 be?

The most temporary permanent airport in the world, always hoardings and building works clutter. At leat they seriously tackled the DVT risk by arranging for pax to walk a couple of klicks from their arrived aircraft to Immigration.I have nothing good to say about the place other than to say that the passenger throughput has increased faster than capacity could be increased. Don't get me started about the other jewel in the crown; Manchester!

I don't want t get into some, 'but this or that airport is worse', but I did recently have to fly to London on EVA and arrived at terminal 2. Jeez, could they not have designed it so that the trek to immigration was a little closer?

An English guy who got off the plane with me gave me the heads up, pointed through the window at the building opposite and said "Yep, thats where we gotta go"...20 mins of reasonably fast walking and you get there.

Most annoying aspect about Heathrow is that quite often your arrival flight can be on time or even early but cannot get permission to land and has to go on a tour of the southern counties until a landing slot is allocated . This can take up to 40 minutes in my experience . Further more I once thought that I had arrived in the wrong country ( after a few sherbets on the long haul flight ) as the arrivals at terminal 3 was full of Asian , African and Indian people ect; both passengers and immigration staff . Had a laugh later but a sign of the times I guess .

As for Mumbai airport I can say that there are some rude and low mannered staff there which was disappointing as the Jet Air flight from Heathrow was excellent . One incident was I had bought a litre bottle of Jack Daniels on the flight and the Mumbai immigration would not allow be to take it on the connecting flight to Bangkok . Instead they emptied it into a large urn . Another occasion when with family members the security made the men go to one side of baggage xray and the females the other . This meant that my daughter in law had to take care of 3 children , all under the age of 7years one of whom is physically handicapped . In her panic she left her handbag with all passports and money in the security . She realised it within 5 minutes and ran back to luckily find it still on the tray

Over the last year, the majority of flights have been moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and as a result, over 60% of Heathrow passengers will now experience new, world class facilities in Terminal 5 and Terminal 2.

Having been a user of terminal 2 I can state that this is a lie. Heathrow terminal 2 is a scum sucking dump and should be razed to the ground. No baggage carts on airside, pathetic toilet facilities miles and miles and miles to walk with no travelators, even the passenger waiting area has been reduced to allow even more rip off duty free outlets.

Swampy is infinitely better and that is a dump.

This was recognized at the 2015 World Airport Awards when Heathrow was awarded the ‘Best Airport in Western Europe’ by passengers.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The rest must be dire and disgusting dumps.

And another one--------- British Airways was formally BEA ????????? Wrong again clap2.gifclap2.gif

Not wrong BEA and BOAC merged to become British AIrways.

Correct, 'Back-Every-Afternoon' and 'Better-On-A-Camel' merged to become 'Born-Again' when later privatised ! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo

"as a result, over 60% of Heathrow passengers will now experience new, world class facilities in Terminal 5 and Terminal 2. This was recognized at the 2015 World Airport Awards when Heathrow was awarded the Best Airport in Western Europe by passengers."

and the other 40% gloss over the c**p they still have to put up with in Terminals 3 and 4.....

Question: If the replacement for Terminal 1 will become Terminal 2B, then where will Terminal 1 be?

Terminal 5 World Class ?? Don't honk so there is not even a clock in Terminal 5 , oh hang on there is , it's about as small as anything...

When people go to an airport , Time is important, simple things over looked....

"as a result, over 60% of Heathrow passengers will now experience new, world class facilities in Terminal 5 and Terminal 2. This was recognized at the 2015 World Airport Awards when Heathrow was awarded the Best Airport in Western Europe by passengers."

Terminal 5 World Class ?? Don't honk so there is not even a clock in Terminal 5 , oh hang on there is , it's about as small as anything...

Hmmmmm. There must be departure boards in the terminal, and every departure board I've ever seen has the time on it.

Perhaps the Heathrow ones don't, in keeping with their status as a rubbish terminal.

Most people have phones which have a clock.

When travelling remember the boy scout motto....Be Prepared.