Why do I have two different date stamps on ED visa extension?

I got my ED visa extended last month, and upon receiving my passport checked that it was for approximately 3 months, which it was. However I didn't notice at the time that there was a second stamp placed on the opposite page with a different date.

One date is stapled to my form TM.6, which is in turn stapled to my ED visa. It's a small piece of paper that says at the top "NOTICE ALIEN WHOEVER STAYS IN THE KINGDOM LONGER THAN 90 DAYS SHALL MAKE NOTIFICATION" and finished saying "Date of next notification 20 AUG 2015", "Signature" Then the signature of the officer, then "Immigration officer 21 MAY 2015".

On the opposite page, is simply a stamp saying SUB-DIV.2, IMM-DIV.1 EXTENSION OF STAY PERMITTED UP TO" then it has a stamp of 23 AUG 2015 which is crossed out and initially, then it has a stamp of 25 JUL 2015. It continues "HOLDER MUST LEAVE THE KINGDOM WITHIN THE DATE SPECIFIED HEREIN, OFFENDERS WILL BE PROSECUTED SIGNED" then the immigration officers signature "DATE 21 MAY 2015".

I don't want to have to waste another whole day with immigration, or shorten my visa by a whole month, but what should I do? It sounds like they want me to leave the country too!

The 90 day reporting and your extension are 2 different things. The 90 day report is due 90 days from when you applied for the extension.

It appears your extension was reduced to 60 days after the first stamp was done. You don't have to leave the country if you apply for another extension before the July 25th.

Thanks UbonJoe. I appreciate your knowledge on this topic.

But hey, that really sucks, huh? Like they told me in another thread, the ED visa is no good anymore.

It's expensive. About 2000 baht for school processing fee plus around 4000 baht embassy fee + 5700 baht for 3 extensions, plus 5 days travel out of country and 3 days in immigration for 8 months stay, totalling 11700 baht over 8 months. That's about 1500 baht+travel+half a day in immigration a month. Good only if you want to apply for PR eventually, right?

A free 30 day entry sounds better to me. 0 baht+travel+a day in transit a month. What do you think is the most economical way Ubon?

The single entry non-ed visa you had is no longer valid but the 90 day permit to stay it allowed will remain valid for as long as you can get extensions of it.

I would say a 2 entry tourist visa would be a good option. That would give you almost 6 months of total stay before needing another visa by getting a 30 day extension of each 60 day entry it allows.

You can attend school on a tourist visa and more than likely the enrollment would be much less because you would not need all the hours needed for the extensions.

Sounds good Ubon. You really know your stuff about visas in Thailand.

One thing I'm worried about though is being able to do things like applying for driver's licenses, bank accounts, purchasing vehicles, etc without a non immigrant visa. I guess it's probably been posted somewhere on the forum already. I'll do a search when I get back home.

One thing I'm worried about though is being able to do things like applying for driver's licenses, bank accounts, purchasing vehicles, etc without a non immigrant visa. I guess it's probably been posted somewhere on the forum already. I'll do a search when I get back home.

You can do all that with a tourist visa, and actually even visa exempt. Who tell you otherwise doesn't want your business.

• 2 weeks later...

Good only if you want to apply for PR eventually, right?

Nothing is gained toward PR with an ED visa.

Paz, are you sure about that? From what I have read on ThaiVisa, you need a non-immigrant visa to apply for PR.

"1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

2. An applicant must be holding a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting an application."

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/residence-permit-thailand.html Qualifications of an applicant

Paz is correct. You need a B or an O visa and then continuous extensions of stay based on being employed while you pay tax and social security on at least the minimum salary for 3 full years.

There are other requirements if you get as far as complying with the above.

Edited by blackcab

It is not just about having a non immigrant visa entry that has been extended for three years

You should look at the categories mentioned in the article. You will not find education listed as one.

In theory you could have an original non-ed visa entry that has been extended based upon working or marriage and be able to apply for PR.