whats involved with a thai applying for a new bike license?

The 'wife' wants to get a license to ride our new second hand scooter. She has an aversion to paying 200 fines to dodgy traffic policeman.

What is involved if she has never had a bike license before? She has a car license but not a bike.

thanks

Charging a 200 Baht fine for driving without a license makes the traffic policemen dodgy? I would say she is getting off easy.

What would happen to your wife in your own country if she was caught driving a motorcycle without a license?

Frankly, I would appreciate if after a certain number of "driving without a license" offenses the police would either confiscate the driver's motorcycle, or put them in jail, or both.

The number of Thai crazies driving on the roads without any proper defensive or safety driving training is what makes it so dangerous for everyone else to drive. Perhaps more serious enforcement of the driving laws would reduce the level of danger on the roads in Thailand.

There are nearly 40 road deaths per year per 100,000 inhabitants in Thailand. The 4th highest in the world.

Charging a 200 Baht fine for driving without a license makes the traffic policemen dodgy? I would say she is getting off easy.

What would happen to your wife in your own country if she was caught driving a motorcycle without a license?

Frankly, I would appreciate if after a certain number of "driving without a license" offenses the police would either confiscate the driver's motorcycle, or put them in jail, or both.

The number of Thai crazies driving on the roads without any proper defensive or safety driving training is what makes it so dangerous for everyone else to drive. Perhaps more serious enforcement of the driving laws would reduce the level of danger on the roads in Thailand.

There are nearly 40 road deaths per year per 100,000 inhabitants in Thailand. The 4th highest in the world.

a nanny state reply. Please keep to topic. Moderator please delete the above comment...

Yah, going on about your wife driving illegally and suggesting the only reason for her to get a license and drive legally now is because your tired of paying 200 Baht fines. And then calling the police corrupt for charging her a fine when she is breaking the law. You can't make this stuff up.

Edited by WingNut

It is not implied that 'the wife' has ever had to pay a 200 baht fine. We only just purchased a scooter. She dislikes the thought of having to pay it. Please read the original thread above before you write these messages from your bar stool in pattaya. thanks in advance.

In his own country she would not get stopped if she was doing nothing wrong apart from driving without the licence. In the UK I drove for 30 years and never had to show my licence to a policeman, here it can be a daily event as they try to shakedown motorcyclists for every real or imagined infringement!

On topic, my wife had to take a written test, and show she could ride in a straight line on a relatively narrow beam for a short distance.

Edited by gmac

See what happens in Thailand or any other country where you are driving illegally without a drivers license and either injure someone or damage someone's property with your vehicle. Then tell me how smart you are driving without a license.

See what happens in Thailand or any other country where you are driving illegally without a drivers license and either injure someone or damage someone's property with your vehicle. Then tell me how smart you are driving without a license.

It's never smart to drive without a licence, and you may notice that I didn't say that it was. I merely pointed out the fact that, unlike Thailand, in most countries it is unusual to get asked to produce your licence unless you are committing some other misdemeanour to attract police attention.

Similarly the OP was asking how to go about getting his wife a licence as he seems to agree that driving without one is inadvisable and clearly woke you up with his light-hearted comment about 200 baht fines. She already has a licence to drive a car so would appear to be a responsible citizen.

There are 2 recent discussions here about the process for foreigners in Thailand getting a motorcycle license under different circumstances. The various requirements and methods mentioned in these discussions are the same for a Thai, except a Thai citizen would not be required to show their passport for proof of identity and a work permit for proof of residence. They would need to show their government ID card instead and possibly bring their house registration book (blue book), plus a medical certificate:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/832017-thai-license-possible-with-these-circumstances/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/832878-thai-drivers-license-expired-what-to-do/

There are 2 recent discussions here about the process for foreigners in Thailand getting a motorcycle license under different circumstances. The various requirements and methods mentioned in these discussions are the same for a Thai, except a Thai citizen would not be required to show their passport for proof of identity and a work permit for proof of residence. They would need to show their government ID card instead and possibly bring their house registration book (blue book), plus a medical certificate:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/832017-thai-license-possible-with-these-circumstances/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/832878-thai-drivers-license-expired-what-to-do/

Finally wingnut has the intelligence to answer the orginal question. It is my opinion that you have too much time on your hands. I envisage that you are in your 70's or 80s? Old with so much time to waste.

I took the time to help you and then you attempt to insult me yet again? The first time I let it slide with your childish and unrelated reference to Pattaya bar stools. The next time you post a question you can rest assured you won't get any assistance from me. And obviously nobody else here was interested in helping you either as I was the only member that was even kind enough to chime in. Normally there will be a flurry of replies from other members of this forum if someone posts a question in earnest. But obviously your attitude didn't appeal to others here either. Perhaps you aren't even bright enough to have noticed that. But that's normal I guess because usually people with bad body odor can't even smell it themselves. Then biting the one hand that feeds. Never a good policy. Your obviously aren't the sharpest tool in the box. What a pity.

This question is timely for me too as my son is just starting the process. We went down to the local driving test centre (Hang Dong Rd, Chiang Mai) this afternoon and checked that what he needs is:

1. original and copy of Thai ID card (2 copies if doing car driving licence too)

2. original of Thai medical certificate (Bt.50 from local clinic, no checkup whatsoever) (and copy if ...car...)

3. the application forms and a small fee.

No tabian ban, it seems.

Then he needs to present himself before 9am tomorrow morning to attend the various physical tests (perhaps not all of ... colour blindness, reaction time, depth perception, ... what was the fourth one?) and the 4 hours of lectures, before taking the theory/written test. Apparently it's different lectures/tests for car and motorbike licences, so this may take at least two days, after which he must take/pass the two practical tests within 90 days. Practical test seems to include driving while obeying road signs (!), driving round a few bends and up a very slight incline, slaloming round a series of about 10 cones about 3m apart, and not falling off an almost foot-wide raised 'plank' about 15m long) - all measurements VERY approximate and judged from a (safe) distance.

The car test also includes driving - forwards and then reversing - through a long narrow gap between posts, parallel parking and finally parking close to the kerb without touching it (which none of the half dozen applicants we observed today managed to do!)

Will report more over the next few days (weeks?). Interested to hear of others' experience too.

Thanks WN,

First update on my son's application: arrived early at the centre but found his health certificate didn't have the clinic's stamp on it, so back to square one again tomorrow. Seems that the lectures and written test will take the whole day - 8am to after 4pm. More soon...

Today's update: arrived at DLT about 08.30, no problem with now-stamped health certificate. Into lecture room about 9am and there for most of the day, with a break for lunch. Picked him up about 4pm when he'd just finished the car theory test (passed first time, 46/50; proud dad). Monday he'll do the motorbike theory test, which seems to be identical to the car one, so a complete waste of more time, and then the motorbike practical test. Will leave the car practical until I've given him a few more lessons in reversing and parking - can do within 90 days of starting the process.

Seems that, after the motorcy practical test, you have to report back to the office actually wearing your helmet and they check to see if you are wearing it "correctly", which I think just means if the straps are adjusted correctly (tight enough) but could mean if it's an approved helmet or not too, I suppose. Next instalment, Monday.