Thai PM 'uncomfortable' with jailing of embattled student activists

webfact

Thai Junta Leader 'Uncomfortable' With Jailing of Embattled Student Activists
By Khaosod English

mo.jpg
Monks and other supporters gathered outside of Bangkok Remand Prison on 30 June 2015 to hold a candlelight vigil calling for the activists' release.

BANGKOK — Thailand's military leader said he is personally troubled by the arrests and imprisonment of fourteen pro-democracy activists, but said the investigation must go on.

"I am looking for a measure to open up dialogue and put an end to this matter," Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said this monring, five days after the 14 activists were arrested in Bangkok for a peaceful demonstration against his military government. "I have to admit that I feel uncomfortable at the use of the laws against these students."

"But at the same time," he continued, "we have to look at it from another angle, we have to look at the behavior and expression of these people. Are these actions of innocent children? Are politicians behind them? We have to prove it. We are investigating it right now."

Asked by a reporter whether he could use Article 44 of the interim charter to grant amnesty to the activists, Gen. Prayuth said, "I cannot. If did, I would have to use Article 44 to grant amnesty to other people, too. It will go on without end."

Under Article 44 of the interim charter penned by the junta after the May 2014 coup, Gen. Prayuth is authorized to issue any legally-binding order without oversight. Gen. Prayuth has used the emergency power to ban public gatherings, censor the media, and allow security officers to search and detain individuals without charges.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435740356

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-01

This, I suspect, is just the beginning of the softening of the approach to this case. Whilst Face is all important here, perhaps some wiser heads have successfully made the point that the Junta messed up big time here. I doubt that they even considered the ramification of their action, in locking the students up at the time, both nationally and internationally.

"I cannot. If did, I would have to use Article 44 to grant amnesty to other people, too. It will go on without end."

Is this a confession, that he is aware, that there are more non-violent political prisoners in his jails?

Dear PM, if you are serious with your "uncomfortable" feelings, do yourself a favor and let them go. After that, revoke all laws, which make you "unconfortable" and sad.

Just bring back a little bit happiness to yourself too, as you already did to many others.

So how are the posters who were cheering on the jailings a few hours ago going to spin this one?

Are you a baboon for real or do you just read what you wamt without understanding it. Mr. P was pretty clear. Those kids broke the law and will not be given amnesty for it as well as making it clear there is the chance these kids were pushed to do this for political motives instead if rights.

Im just sad to see that others liked your ignorance to what this article really said

Prayuth seems to be basing his argument on the fact that these were illegal political gatherings because the kids were "put up" to their peaceful demonstration by faceless former politicians.

I seem to remember that at first he announced that the government knew who put them up to it. Now he asks "Are politicians behind them? We have to prove it. We are investigating it right now."

The longer these students are held, the more inept he will look in the eyes of Thailand and the world. And even if they have been talking to former politicians, what is the problem if they genuinely believe in their cause? As far as I can see, the only problem is if money changed hands which, from the little we know about the backgrounds of the students, seems highly unlikely.

Not only Uncomfortable Prime Minister ashamed , ashamed that under your watch your country is now in the pits of third world behaviour , before to much more damage is done to your credibility I would if I was you take some advice , intervene quickly. coffee1.gif

So how are the posters who were cheering on the jailings a few hours ago going to spin this one?

Are you a baboon for real or do you just read what you wamt without understanding it. Mr. P was pretty clear. Those kids broke the law and will not be given amnesty for it as well as making it clear there is the chance these kids were pushed to do this for political motives instead if rights.

Im just sad to see that others liked your ignorance to what this article really said

My post was about how the article would be spun by the junta fanclub on here, not the contents. Talk about reading what you want without understanding it...

My post was about how the article would be spun by the junta fanclub on here, not the contents. Talk about reading what you want without understanding it...

Also I love how junta boys ignore the selective use of these ridiculous laws.

There protests in the south today against a proposed coal plant, labor groups protested AT government house for the minim wage increase last week, the 'monk' Buddha Isara as well also publicly over Dhammachayo. These were ALL political, these all challenged the junta, these all had gatherings of more than 5 people which is currently illegal.

No doubt the reply will be "because Thaksin is paying these students" even if that IS true (why haven't the junta presented their 'evidence' of that yet?) the junta are still being selectively applying the law. Thus creating further divisions in Thai society that they swore to bring the 'happiness' back to.

Saviors of Thailand my farang ar$e.

The students outwitted the junta.

They knew they would be arrested.

Then they played their ace. They refused to apply for bail.

What would have blown over in hours has turned the spotlight firmly on the junta.

"Those kids broke the law and will not be given amnesty for it..."

That is the problem my dear boy. No one should have to exist under a d word that stifles free speech, the right to peacefully assemble, or the right to collectively or individually petition the government about grievances. Do you not know what human rights are, or see when they are denied and people's freedoms are taken?

I'm sure the General is uncomfortable, if he doesn't let the students go. their status grows, if he releases them they will continue but emboldened.....Damned if you do damned if you don't.

It's getting hotter at the coalface for Uncle P,

Edited by wave

fyi - the "laws" broken by the students are "laws" imposed by the General after he shredded the country's constitution - which itself was extraordinarily illegal... after giving himself amnesty, he imposed laws which violate the human rights of all Thai citizens... Those are the laws broken by the students... and they did so fully aware that this junta would jail them... they refuse to ask for bail, and yes, that was / is motivated by politics - their own!!

Everyday democracy in almost 200 countries around the world. thumbsup.gif

"But at the same time," he continued, "we have to look at it from another angle, we have to look at the behavior and expression of these people. Are these actions of innocent children? Are politicians behind them? We have to prove it. We are investigating it right now."

That's probably because it is morally wrong and knows it. There is conflicting reports on this though. He is the prime minister and so called liberator for the Thai people. He can always reverse his decision and be seen as a compassionate and humanistic leader.thumbsup.gif

After what he did in May 2014, he can pretty much do anything he wants. He is just not prepared to do it. Perhaps, he is having second thoughts in that the 14 students may become a rallying call for others and spark a much larger movement. He might just make martyrs out of those kids. Well then better make up your mind quickly before this snowballs.

Edited by toybits

Martyrs cannot be silenced. Creating martyrs is self-destructive.

The martyrs are being made almost every day...people are realizing this.

The coup started out so well, then went south faster than a swallow in November.

Cosmetic reforms, gerrymandering, an appointed government...they knew one primary principle--if people are comfortable, they will go along with almost anything...but they started creating martyrs using both new powers and the old "let's tag our enemies with the lese majestie thing" (which both sides always accuse each other of abusing, so I tend to believe it is, indeed, an abused statute).

Since PM Prayuth has Article 44, and is not using it to plug the biggest holes in the dam, I am assuming he did not realize his own friends and associates are also feeding at the trough.....it's not a matter of feeding, it is a matter which pigs are first in line.

The simple answer...

1. Free them
  2. Allow peaceful protests under similar conditions that prevail in most other civilised countries, ie, not allowed to obstruct government buildings public, factories, airports,, etc. have to register with police.

Maybe allow marches but ban static protests.coffee1.gif

This looks like a long drawn out situation and will not end well for the junta. The students can't be free as they have been formally charged and have to go through the judiciary process which can take time. They refused to be pardon by Article 44 and refused bail. The junta has taken the short end of the stick. These are students have a good record of activism against issues such as environment and corruption. Some of their parents supported the PAD and PDRC. Their bravery will win lots of friends especially the student fraternity. Now that the General has admitted discomfort in arresting, it will only embolden the students and supporters. With th economy in a shamble and fast receding and protests of other natures appearing everywhere, it will not be a suprise to see a united form of protest soon in Bangkok. Looks like the peace and order that the coup claimed to achieve is now looking rather shaky.