Saudi prince to give away US$32bn

webfact

Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune
AYA BATRAWY, Associated Press

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world's richest people, announced Wednesday that he will donate all of his wealth of $32 billion to charity over the coming years.

The money will go to the Saudi prince's organization called Alwaleed Philanthropies to work in the fields of "intercultural understanding" and supporting communities in need, he said in a statement. Programs will include promoting health, eradicating disease, bringing electricity to remote villages, building orphanages and schools, as well as "empowering women."

The prince, chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding Company, said he has already donated $3.5 billion to the charitable organization.

Alwaleed joins other billionaires who have made similar pledges in recent years, such as Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Michael Bloomberg. He credited the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for their wide range of charitable projects and said his organization has partnered with them on health initiatives.

"Philanthropy is a personal responsibility, which I embarked upon more than three decades ago and is an intrinsic part of my Islamic faith," he said in the statement, which came during the holy month of Ramadan when Muslims are encouraged to give charity and help the needy.

The prince, who does not hold an official government position, built his wealth through seed money from his father and smart investments. Kingdom Holding owns stakes in hotels like The Four Seasons, Fairmont and Raffles, as well as companies such as News Corp., Citigroup, Twitter and Apple.

The prince's two children were present at his boardroom when he made the announcement in Riyadh.

Though he did not give an exact timeframe, Alwaleed said his billions would be allocated through a "well-devised plan" throughout the coming years. He said the donations would be based on a strategy supervised by a board of trustees, which he will head.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-02

If he's donating $32 bn, I assure you he's got another $32bn or so in his bank account,,, having said that,

kudos to anyone who care about this world's disenfranchised and marginalized people.....

I would have done the same but I only got 32 hundreds baht.....

It's really cynical to question charitable actions, but I can't help wondering if any of this wealth will go toward building communities for ISIS or AQ, or training programs for the Taliban. I wonder if any of it will be given to help the non-muslim victims of violence by religious extremists. I wonder if any of the Yazidis villages will be rebuilt? ....or will this go to building more and bigger Mosques?

It's really cynical to question charitable actions, but I can't help wondering if any of this wealth will go toward building communities for ISIS or AQ, or training programs for the Taliban. I wonder if any of it will be given to help the non-muslim victims of violence by religious extremists. I wonder if any of the Yazidis villages will be rebuilt? ....or will this go to building more and bigger Mosques?

I'm sure he'll be financing the renovation of the historic synagogues of Egypt, Iraq, Kabul, Syria and Iran that the locals vandalized and ripped apart when they expelled their jew populations during the pogroms of the 1950's and 60's.

Crikey! The cynics are out in force.

Here's a chap who is donating tens of billions to charity, and all you can do is think of ways that he might mis-spend the money or cynical ways where he might not spend the money....because he's Saudi and Muslim.

It's completely racist. Nobody ever blamed Bill Gates for "not rebuilding any mosques the US destroyed" or "I wonder how much Gates billions will go to funding the IRA", so why the sarcasm about rebuilding synagogues or funding ISIS? Racism at it emptiest.

I salute the Prince. Well done. That money can bring a lot of happiness to many people. And sorry to all you racists...most of that charity might be destined for poor Muslims.

Edited by Seastallion

Here's a chap who is donating tens of billions to charity, and all you can do is think of ways that he might mis-spend the money or cynical ways where he might not spend the money....because he's Saudi and Muslim.

It's completely racist. Nobody ever blamed Bill Gates for "not rebuilding any mosques the US destroyed" or "I wonder how much Gates billions will go to funding the IRA", so why the sarcasm about rebuilding synagogues or funding ISIS? Racism at it emptiest.

I salute the Prince. Well done. That money can bring a lot of happiness to many people. And sorry to all you racists...most of that charity might be destined for poor Muslims.

Have there ever been any credible links linking Bill Gates to funding the (now defunct) IRA?

Can you say the same about the Saudis and Al-Qaeda?

I think there is absolutely no question that some Saudi money has been used to support the funding of extremists. No question the Wahhabi faith encourages extremism, as it is the most extreme form of Islam, and should be openly condemned.

I think there is absolutely no question that some Saudi money has been used to support the funding of extremists. No question the Wahhabi faith encourages extremism, as it is the most extreme form of Islam, and should be openly condemned.

Can you link the prince and his private fortune to any of that support?

If you can, then you'd also have to carry on the link to the companies where he derives his income.

Well done, you can't take it with you, so direct now where you want it to go. With the Gates

Foundation, Buffet and the others I can see no ulterior motive. They are not asking for your

money, spending 98% of donations fund-raising more money, salaries of executives and

lavish expense accounts. thumbsup.gif

Yawwwwnnn "Programs will include promoting health, eradicating disease, bringing electricity to remote villages, building orphanages and schools"

This is what taxpayers money should have been doing all along if it had not been stolen from the people and now we are supposed to think this person is a "Hero"? Similar case in other countries where the elite just TAKE what they want when they want.

Have there ever been any credible links linking Bill Gates to funding the (now defunct) IRA?

Again, you are comparing apples and pears.

The correct comparisons or connections are..

Bil/Prince to IRA/ISIS.... OR..... America/Saudi to IRA/ISIS.

In Bill's case, you're asking if there is a connection between the individual and a terrorist organisation, and in the Prince's case you're asking if there is a connection between the individual's country and a terrorist organisation.

The racism in this thread is, 'because he's Saudi/Muslim, he must be funding terrorists".

Yawwwwnnn "Programs will include promoting health, eradicating disease, bringing electricity to remote villages, building orphanages and schools"

This is what taxpayers money should have been doing all along if it had not been stolen from the people and now we are supposed to think this person is a "Hero"? Similar case in other countries where the elite just TAKE what they want when they want.

I take your point, but in this case it is private wealth from smart investment.

Can you link the prince and his private fortune to any of that support?

If you can, then you'd also have to carry on the link to the companies where he derives his income.

why waste precious time arguing with poor little envious men who know each and everything about Islam, Muslims, Wahhabism, terrorist financing and that based on "no question" assumptions?

Like you said: cynical.

I'm sure he'll be financing the renovation of the historic synagogues of Egypt, Iraq, Kabul, Syria and Iran that the locals vandalized and ripped apart when they expelled their jew populations during the pogroms of the 1950's and 60's.

Why should he, particularly. How much have you donated to these?

Hope it goes towards protecting the Amazon, endangered animals, endangered language, building schools and teach about deforestation. coffee1.gif But the cynic in me says a lot of it will go towards building mosques. thumbsup.gif

Do you know that on average the more cynical you are the more unhappy you are and the shorter your lifespan. Be nice and be happier and live longer.

Why is it that cynics think they're so much smarter than optimists and that optimists are naive?

Wonder how many Thais of exceptional wealth are giving their money away, or making similar pledges?

I guess one can make a pledge to oneself. All I see in Thailand conglomerates, mergers, buyouts same as in the West. Thai's believe in multiple lifetimes. I am sure somebody here is looking at some way to transfer their wealth to the next life.

I take your point, but in this case it is private wealth from smart investment.

Once you have made your first billion the rest is easy.

Considering that many terror attacks were sponsored or paid for by Saudi's through some charity, it would make more sense to many, but clearly not all.

Let's hope that as part of his "intercultural understanding" crede also non-muslim villages and non-muslim projects are supported... Sarcastic pessimist that I am, I'd bet "nope"...

Edited by MockingJay

give the man credit, his gift will help others who he has never met or been in contact with. no personal gain on his part and he will have left this world in a little better shape than when he entered this zoo called the habate of humans.

the ones that dissapoint me are families like the waltons. the old man, helpful, hard working and lived as he had always been raised. he leaves several family members up in the wealthy of the world group and they appear to be hoard for themselves. i hope i am wrong but have heard no argumenment against this assistment.

my personal gift is and will continue to be tree planting and passing along my life experiences and learning. ok no earth shattering gift, but i have been acknowledged by several who i have helped. not in public as that is unimportant also. thats when you get that warm fuzzy feeling and its not from the beer sing.

In Bill's case, you're asking if there is a connection between the individual and a terrorist organisation, and in the Prince's case you're asking if there is a connection between the individual's country and a terrorist organisation.

The racism in this thread is, 'because he's Saudi/Muslim, he must be funding terrorists".

"In Bill's case, you're asking if there is a connection between the individual and a terrorist organisation"

No, I'm not, you are, " I wonder how much Gates billions will go to funding the IRA".

Do you suffer from amnesia?

Edited by nahkit

"In Bill's case, you're asking if there is a connection between the individual and a terrorist organisation"

No, I'm not, you are, " I wonder how much Gates billions will go to funding the IRA".

Do you suffer from amnesia?

Hilarious considering it's all there in what you've quoted!

Your words..."Have there ever been any credible links linking Bill Gates to funding the (now defunct) IRA?", which is you asking about Bill and a connection.

My words..."Do people ask..." which is not a question about Bill's connection etc.

But putting aside your amnesia and lack of comprehension, you evade the point, which is that your questions were illogically framed.