Can the one with "retirement" visa work?

In my knowledge the one with "Retirement" visa cannot work in this country. But why I ask such question because few days ago when I arrived at the Passport Checking counter at the airport, the immigration asked me why I do find a job as I am still young and capable. The scenario is that when I got through the passport check point for re-entering to the country, the immigration officer asked me a lot of questions because I changed my visa from ED to "Retirement". And this was the first I used my "Retirement" visa for re-entering the country. She asked me what is my source of income, what kind of job I had before, why I wanted to stay in Thailand... Thanks god, my Thai language could still manage it. Finally, she said I am just 51, and suggested me to find a job in Thailand. I feel curious as this is totally against my concept of prohibiting working in the country if one obtained a "Retirement" visa.

Are there any changes on the regulations of "Retirement" visa concerning the subject aspect???

Can anyone give me some insight on that???

Thanks in advance!!!

• Like 1

Actually it's up to the labour office. Most offices will not issue a WP to someone on a retirement extension. A few years ago I worked for 6 months with a valid WP on a retirement extension.

Perhaps things have changed,on my O A Visa (For the over 50s) it's clearly stamped EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED,which makes sense, You can't be retired and have the option of working if you felt like it,which would make a mockery of the whole Visa!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Perhaps things have changed,on my O A Visa (For the over 50s)

What you have is not "O/A visa", but an "extension of stay for reason of retirement".

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Perhaps things have changed,on my O A Visa (For the over 50s)

What you have is not "O/A visa", but an "extension of stay for reason of retirement".

Well it also says on it "O/A Visa"which I thought needed no explanation,yes I know that from the first Visa,everthing thereafter is an extension!

• Like 1

Well it also says on it "O/A Visa"which I thought needed no explanation,yes I know that from the first Visa,everthing thereafter is an extension!

Not all the O-A visa have that remark, here below one that doesn't

post-164409-0-89249900-1435875791_thumb.

Follow this link and you will see many companies are in the market for,O/A Visas commonly known as 1 year retirement visas, which can be extended.

To reiterate my Visa is a non immigrant "O/A" Retirement Visa,extendable year on year, which has stamped across the bottom "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED"

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_retirement/

To reiterate my Visa is a non immigrant "O/A" Retirement Visa,extendable year on year, which has stamped across the bottom "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED"

I'm not disputing what your visa says, i just posted an image of another that is different.

Maybe that one slipped through the net! clearly it's not Thailand Policy to allow Retiries to work! and of course the time frame when new Immigration rules come in play,is at the mercy of Thai Immigration!

Can you work outside Thailand but still obtain a A/O visa for reason of retirement?

As in work month on month off offshore but stay in Thailand on a retirement visa (semi retired!)?

Can you work outside Thailand but still obtain a A/O visa for reason of retirement?

As in work month on month off offshore but stay in Thailand on a retirement visa (semi retired!)?

You can work outside the country on a OA long stay visa from an embassy or consulate or an extension of stay based upon retirement obtained at an immigration office,

There are many that are doing it. Some on extensions of stay have used the income from working to get an income letter to meet the 65k baht income requirement.

I obtain a new non Imm o-a multi entry visa for the purpose of retirement each year in the U.S. before our stay in Thailand and everyone of mine are stamped EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED. Edited by SpokaneAl

She may have been simply just paying you a compliment (without meaning to, or maybe she did) by suggesting you could look for a job ...to her you appeared too young for the "retirement benches".

PS. Whether she meant it or not it WAS a compliment....wish someone would pay me a similar one these days. When I was a drinker I had a few people ask me "Why don't you get a job"...but the tone was not that of a person paying me a compliment (if you understand my meaning)555. Sometimes, I find myself questioning "why some person said that" when in actual fact they were simply being nice.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

I obtain a new non Imm o-a multi entry visa for the purpose of retirement each year in the U.S. before our stay in Thailand and everyone of mine are stamped EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED.

Meaning what??? Meaning that Paz is wrong or what??

Glegolo

Perhaps things have changed,on my O A Visa (For the over 50s) it's clearly stamped EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED,which makes sense, You can't be retired and have the option of working if you felt like it,which would make a mockery of the whole Visa!

The word "retirement" is not used on the visa, although it's commonly called that. My original non-imm O-A long-stay visa and subsequent entry stamp and extension stamps say nothing about employment being prohibited, although all the tourist visas I had before that do.

The use of the words "retirement" in conjunction with the "long-stay visa" and the "temporary extension of stay" is probably meant to be more diplomatic than calling it an "old age visa" or "extension while waiting to kick the bucket."

Just because one has retired from his principal occupation it doesn't mean he's necessarily going to remain without employment for the rest of his life so I don't think it would result in a "mockery of the whole (visa)." The qualifications for the extension based on retirement are principally to do with age and financial resources.

In any event, permission to work in the Kingdom is not regulated by Immigrations, but the Ministry of Labor ... although I agree it's not commonly granted to someone here on an extension of stay based on retirement.

Follow this link and you will see many companies are in the market for,O/A Visas commonly known as 1 year retirement visas, which can be extended.

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_retirement/

my Visa is a non immigrant "O/A" Retirement Visa,extendable year on year

Your Visa is a Non Imm O-A category which was obtained for the purpose of your intention to retire in Thailand.

It is commonly referred to as a 'Retirement Visa' but there is no such Visa.

You do not extend the Visa year on year. Any Visa has a validity and thereafter it is 'USED' and is usually stamped accordingly.

That Visa gave you permission to enter and stay in Thailand for it's validity.

Year on year, you then extend your permission to stay in Thailand (not the Visa)

That is clearly written on a TM7. ' APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM'

Immigration will however always refer to the type of Visa you held when completing forms such as a TM7 and TM47.

That is only a reference to the fact you were on the correct Visa to get the annual extension of your permission to stay.

According to the Ministry of Labour website, only those who had a Non Imm category Visa issued can apply for a work permit, subject to the necessary criteria for it's issue. So theoretically you can apply for a work permit if your on a Non Imm Visa or an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

Actually it's up to the labour office. Most offices will not issue a WP to someone on a retirement extension. A few years ago I worked for 6 months with a valid WP on a retirement extension.

It's up to the Labour office??????? I know you are right, but why can't Thailand just say, "you can" or "you cannot"? instead or

this some will and some won't nonsense?

I get slagged of for saying this, yes I know it is their country and they are entitled to make up their own rules, I respect that, but

why do they sometimes make things unnecessary difficult for people who want to visit or live in their country?

Thailand, make up your rules as you see fit, but make sure your Immigration offices, Embassys, and Consulates go by your rules instead

of giving individual bosses the authority to make up their own.

Then we will all know where we stand.

You may want to delete your personal information from the Visa you have posted...

• Like 1

You may want to delete your personal information from the Visa you have posted...

Dear, it is not my visa, and is posted on the Internet.

Edited by paz

Dear, it is not my visa, and is posted on the Internet.

Was only trying to help. I posted mine on TV in reference to a question, but I did black out the personal stuff first, however it turned out people were able to read through the black marker, fortunately a moderator electronically blurred the appropriate parts. I would still have blacked out the identifying info. had I posted someone else visa, but that's me.

Edited by PeCeDe
  • Like 1

I would still have blacked out the identifying info. had I posted someone else visa, but that's me.

As I said, tons of these are on the Internet, that neither you or me can change.

Hi

You cannot work if you are on a Retirement Extension, but you can get a work permit on an Extension of stay based on a legal marriage at an Amphur, not the version with the 9 monks in a village which has no legal standing outside of Thailand, in fact you don't even get a marriage certificate.

Edited by barnsleyman