Artificial rain-making operations add water in 4 main dams

webfact

Artificial rain-making operations add water in 4 main dams

aff.jpg

BANGKOK, 3 July 2015 (NNT) – The Irrigation Department says its rain-making operations have paid off, adding water to four main dams each day.

Since March 1, the Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation has conducted 3,100 cloud-seeding operations, bringing rainfalls in 95 percent of target areas. Seven million cubic meters are added to four main dams along the Chao Phraya River daily. The Department has also planned to expand its rain-making mission in Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan provinces upon the suggestion of His Majesty the King.

Despite the missions’ success, the Irrigation Department insisted on its plan to limit water supplies to no more than 28 million cubic meters per day, while calling on consumers to continue saving water as the situation remains critical. Meanwhile, the Groundwater Resources Department is expediting its search for more underground water sources, in addition to the 200 newly-dug wells.

Farmers in drought-hit areas have been told to delay cultivation until August. Affected farmers have been urged to apply for temporary jobs under the government’s income creation program.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-03 footer_n.gif

Makes me wonder, as the number of flights to seed clouds continue to rise (now at 3100) what is the ethics involved in choosing where the rain should drop. Now by no means do I know much about the process, but seems to me if I seed a cloud to make it rain in this province that the next province just might not get the water intended for them.

Who is the ultimate decision maker on what clouds are seeded and where? If the process is viable think of the power of owning the rains, no better way to bring a bunch of peasants to their knees. Or the influential and connected from influencing the decision to the benefit of plantations and farms they own.

By know means am I making any accusations as I have seen nothing that says anything is dodgy about the program, but the potential for abuse is there.

Any folk more knowledgeable please chime in.

I'll bet some very well connected people are selling them the chemicals, or is it fairy dust, that they use to "make rain".

Normally it's salt, aluminum silicate or holy powder from the Mormons in Utah....

the Groundwater Resources Department is expediting its search for more underground water sources

from the top, thats the best thing they could do....in europe it is forbidden to dig and use the underground resources (normally drinkable) but here man no problem ...go for it...! actually they do it in my village and my farang neibourb dont care, he fill up his bladdy swiming pool with that clean water.and nobody says nothing...!and the crazy thing is that we have the river 200 meters away from us with a pipe line already in the ground....but a new filter was too expensive, so digging a hole was much easier to do.

the next stupid question is....what will happend when these resources will be finished ?facepalm.gif yeahh i know i think too much ..coffee1.gif

I read that Most research into weather changing etc was left unfunded soemtime in the 70s by western researchers. not sure if that is true, but if it is. that will make Thailand the hub of weather control.

Just think this is every evil masterminds dream, control of the weather. Wait a moment, current regime is military with sensitivity to certain words beginning with evil and ending in hator, perhaps he has achieved it all

El Nino to Weaken Monsoon Exacerbating Drought in Pakistan, Northwestern India
sosnowski.png
By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist July 3, 2015; 4:01 AM ET

While parts of India received torrential rainfall during June due to the monsoon, El Niño will reassert itself, causing the monsoon to weaken, over the upper part of the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia.

During a typical monsoon season, heat builds ahead of the phenomenon, then rounds of showers, thunderstorms and tropical systems bring torrential rainfall and cool India and many surrounding areas of Southeastern Asia.

650x366_07021421_typicalmonsoon.jpg

El Niño is a warm phase of the fluctuation of sea surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean that tends to bring an above-average number of typhoons in the Pacific Ocean. A natural balance tends to reduce tropical activity and hence reduce rainfall over the upper part of the Indian Ocean.

A challenging to predict and less-known phenomenon, known as the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) caused the monsoon to strengthen temporarily. This oscillation is a pulse of showers and thunderstorms that tends to migrate from west to east around the equatorial regions of the globe.

According to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Jason Nicholls, "During June, the MJO pulse shifted to the eastern part of the Indian Ocean area and lingered."

RELATED:
India Weather Center
Detailed Forecast for New Delhi, India
Pakistan Weather Center

"Rainfall was 16 percent above normal for India as a whole during June thanks to the interaction with El Niño and the MJO pulse," AccuWeather Meteorologist Eric Leister said.

650x366_07021434_seasiajunerainfall.jpg

The size of the drought area will be smaller, compared to earlier analysis. Heavy rain in some areas during June will lessen the impact of lower rainfall amounts moving forward.

Assuming the pulse does not revisit the region until the autumn, El Niño and below-average water temperatures from Somalia to the Arabian Sea will slow the arrival of the monsoon or reduce its impact from western India through much of Pakistan during July and August.

Part of this area is responsible for a significant amount of grain crops and agriculture in general. Many days of dangerous heat are likely in this swath.

650x366_07021604_seasiajulyaug.jpg

"While most of the Asia summer forecast remains unchanged including the onslaught of typhoons, we do expect a little more rainfall than previously thought from central India, including the Madhya Pradesh, to Odisha, India," Nicholls said.

In this area, a few more storms are likely to occur.

The weakening monsoon from the effects of El Niño will cause rounds of heavy rainfall to diminish from Bhutan and southern Tibet to the northern parts of Laos and Vietnam, as well as south-central China.

Farther south in Indochina, current dry conditions will trend toward typical rains as the summer progresses. However in southern Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia will trend drier with drought building or worsening.

"Even if another pulse was to develop in the region late in the summer or during the fall, it may be too late to turn the drought around in Pakistan and northwestern India," Nicholls said.

A weaker monsoon can have significant impact on temperatures in the region.

The stronger the monsoon, the more the air is rising and cooling in its vicinity. Immediately outside of the strong monsoon, air is sinking and substantially heating up.

"With a weaker monsoon, the areas within will tend to be warm, while areas nearby outside of it will still be hotter than average due to the building drought, just perhaps not as extreme," Nichols said.

There will be a flow of humid air over much of the region, leading to very spotty storms, but also resulting in very high AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperatures, reaching 100 F or higher most days.

The strong monsoon that occurred during June, helped to create the extreme heat in June over Pakistan and in parts of India.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/monsoon-to-weaken-drought-to-h/49575826

any credit for the rainfall going to the rainy season itself?

Well the "rain-making" doesn't make rain, it just brings the rain to rain down where you want instead of a random place. So if the wind would bring the clouds over the sea, you can let them rain down before it is wasted....

I'll bet some very well connected people are selling them the chemicals, or is it fairy dust, that they use to "make rain".

Normally it's salt, aluminum silicate or holy powder from the Mormons in Utah....

I guess the criteria is to have some rain bearing clouds. Usually, it's silver iodide used to allow the rain to form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

from Wikipedia:

Thailand started a rain-making project in the late 1950s. The first principle was to scatter sea salt to catch the humidity in the air and dry ice to condense the humidity to form clouds.[36] The project took about ten years of experiments and refinement. The first field operations began in 1969 above Khao Yai National Park. Since then rain-making has been successfully applied throughout Thailand and neighbouring countries.[37] On 12 October 2005 the European Patent Officegranted to King Bhumibol Adulyadej the patent EP 1 491 088 Weather modification by royal rainmaking technology.

It doesn't work. And if it does, which has never been conclusively corroborated after decades of application research, what's the cost?

I dare them to try it from November to February and say "See..., it works."

It doesn't work. And if it does, which has never been conclusively corroborated after decades of application research, what's the cost?

" Cloud seeding is no longer considered afringe science, and is considered a mainstream tool to improve rain precipitation and snow. New technology and research have produced reliable results that make cloud seeding a dependable and affordable water-supply practice for many regions"

It does work here and in Russia.....just recently Russia used it to get rid of clouds.

It works without any doubt.

from Wikipedia:

Thailand started a rain-making project in the late 1950s. The first principle was to scatter sea salt to catch the humidity in the air and dry ice to condense the humidity to form clouds.[36] The project took about ten years of experiments and refinement. The first field operations began in 1969 above Khao Yai National Park. Since then rain-making has been successfully applied throughout Thailand and neighbouring countries.[37] On 12 October 2005 the European Patent Officegranted to King Bhumibol Adulyadej the patent EP 1 491 088 Weather modification by royal rainmaking technology.

Native American Indians have successfully been doing rain making ceremonies for centuries. Maybe Thailand can arrange a visit, assuming they can get a work permit.

from Wikipedia:

No doubt this patent had unique features not recognized previously by the European Patent Office.

However, use of "seeding" itself for rain-making has been known since the early 1900's. For example:

"According to the San Diego History Center, Charles Hatfield was "hired" by the city of San Diego in 1915 to seed clouds near Lake Morena and make it rain, at a cost of $10,000.

Hatfield .... supposedly set up a series of towers, released chemicals into the atmosphere and made it rain for 17 straight days for a total of 28 inches of rainfall."