Vietnam leaders welcome Bill Clinton, laud role in normalisation of ties

webfact

VN leaders welcome Clinton, laud role in normalisation of ties

3-7-2558-11-25-21-wpcf_728x413.jpg

HANOI: -- At a meeting with former US President Bill Clinton in Hanoi yesterday, Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong reaffirmed Vietnam is making efforts to boost relations with the US for the long-term benefit of both peoples, Viet Nam News reported.

Trong highly valued the contributions Clinton and his wife, Hillary Clinton, made to lifting the US embargo on VietnNam in 1994, the diplomatic normalisation process and relations between the two countries over the last 20 years.

He spoke of the contributions the Clinton Foundation had made in supporting Vietnam’s programmes on poverty reduction, hunger elimination, solving post-war problems, healthcare development and environmental protection.

Clinton expressed his happiness of returning to Viet Nam on the 20th year of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries, and spoke highly of Vietnam’s achievements in social and economic development as well as the increasing role of the country in the region and the world.

Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang also met with Clinton on the same day.

Sang welcomed the goodwill of both sides during the on-going Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations and expressed his belief that the partnership, once signed, would contribute to economic ties between the two countries.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/vn-leaders-welcome-clinton-laud-role-in-normalisation-of-ties

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-03

Soon to be the 'first gentleman' of the USA, Ol' Bill is looking good. And doing good in the world. Sure, some small benefits accrue to Bill and his family and he is not without a few faults. But consider Bill and Trump on the golf course, who would you rather play golf with?

Again we see Bill Clinton, who was in college, while the war was waged with Americans and Vietnamese dying, hobnobbing in Vietnam. Vietnam Veterans, their family and friends have little or no interest in developing a governmental relationship with those who are, have been and continue to be a communist breeding, breathing and believing nation. Even 40 years after, those in charge continue to direct their people in downhill digging spiral, knowing no real economic or social plan that has ever worked. The only achievements any of us have seen was the successful downing a Saigon cyclone fence with a tank in April 1975. If the 58,000 plus killed American veterans could see this picture of the ex president there, what do think their reaction would be? People need to stop living in a world that edits out the war and pretends to assume most Americans and others desire a working relationship with this backwards driven nation. With many more deserving nations available, let this one step to the back of line and let others who never have known Americas compassion and heart receive some "love". They didn't want us there, so fine. Let them kiss and make up with their old lover China on their own. Remember if it looks like and talks like one,, it probably is.. If the people in their country are indifferent to their leaders, why would we think they could be our friends. What kind of Uncle Wiggily road are politicians herding us on? We have the money, let's invest in those with a better track record and stop trying to remove the stripes from the tiger. Vietnam Veteran survivor

Again we see Bill Clinton, who was in college, while the war was waged with Americans and Vietnamese dying, hobnobbing in Vietnam. Vietnam Veterans, their family and friends have little or no interest in developing a governmental relationship with those who are, have been and continue to be a communist breeding, breathing and believing nation. Even 40 years after, those in charge continue to direct their people in downhill digging spiral, knowing no real economic or social plan that has ever worked. The only achievements any of us have seen was the successful downing a Saigon cyclone fence with a tank in April 1975. If the 58,000 plus killed American veterans could see this picture of the ex president there, what do think their reaction would be? People need to stop living in a world that edits out the war and pretends to assume most Americans and others desire a working relationship with this backwards driven nation. With many more deserving nations available, let this one step to the back of line and let others who never have known Americas compassion and heart receive some "love". They didn't want us there, so fine. Let them kiss and make up with their old lover China on their own. Remember if it looks like and talks like one,, it probably is.. If the people in their country are indifferent to their leaders, why would we think they could be our friends. What kind of Uncle Wiggily road are politicians herding us on? We have the money, let's invest in those with a better track record and stop trying to remove the stripes from the tiger. Vietnam Veteran survivor

I certainly understand your mind on this....but let it go. Our time is drawing to a close. Enjoy your remaining years without the burdens of the past. Newer citizens have no more connection with Vietnam than they do with exPresidents visiting Germany, Japan or a host of other nations that have been graced with the visit of U.S. miltary forces. Your experience, our experience as a nation is noted but be at peace with yourself. You did what your country asked you (or demanded) you do at the time.

Edited by wwest5829

ok ok you lost that war get over it...move on others have while your still boiling away....chill winston...

I feel for you. Seems you still have allot of hatred bottled up inside. Have you visited Vietnam in the past 10 years? I was too young to serve when the war was going on but i remember it well.

I moved to Thailand in the mid 90's I was working for an engineering company doing projects all over Asia. In 2005 I was directed to a project in Vietnam. I was not happy about this and was actually worried how I would be treated. To my surprise I was treated well, actually very well. Everyone I spoke to loved the USA. The govt may or may not really like the USA and only want to deal with the USA for economic reasons but from the 1 year I ended up living there all of the people I met loved the USA and anything to do with the USA. Yes it is a communist country are you this upset and against the USA dealing with China? We can't hold grudges forever, no matter how hard, we need to move forward and progress and make peace with old enemies or we will never have a peaceful world which is still so far from sight, but maybe some day...

I feel for you. Seems you still have allot of hatred bottled up inside. Have you visited Vietnam in the past 10 years? I was too young to serve when the war was going on but i remember it well.

I moved to Thailand in the mid 90's I was working for an engineering company doing projects all over Asia. In 2005 I was directed to a project in Vietnam. I was not happy about this and was actually worried how I would be treated. To my surprise I was treated well, actually very well. Everyone I spoke to loved the USA. The govt may or may not really like the USA and only want to deal with the USA for economic reasons but from the 1 year I ended up living there all of the people I met loved the USA and anything to do with the USA. Yes it is a communist country are you this upset and against the USA dealing with China? We can't hold grudges forever, no matter how hard, we need to move forward and progress and make peace with old enemies or we will never have a peaceful world which is still so far from sight, but maybe some day...

If you read my post carefully none of my concerns are directed towards any of the Vietnamese common people. The 3 continuous years I spend there I only had love, admiration and concern for them. Try not to be selfish here, You're a foreigner and always will be, and will be treated differently for many reasons. See it from the Vietnamese people's prospective.... So you feel after 40 years, the Vietnamese people have prospered and have been treated fairly by their present government? We can't continue reward governments for bad acting. Don't you believe governments should earn your respect? Anyone that sees them on the same playing field as other nations has their head buried in a rice patty and in denial to the way they govern. And as far as your concerned, if it takes another 40 years of repressing the population that OK? All I can say to you my friend is to walk in their sandals. Yes, I have a grudge,, against those to deny people their human rights, respect, dignity, opportunity and the right to do what we are doing now, free speech!

Prayut, you win your anti-USA propoganda.

The US is losing interest in Thailand as a regional partner and focusing on re-engaging China and solidifying relations with Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, and The Philippines.

If you read my post carefully none of my concerns are directed towards any of the Vietnamese common people. The 3 continuous years I spend there I only had love, admiration and concern for them. Try not to be selfish here, You're a foreigner and always will be, and will be treated differently for many reasons. See it from the Vietnamese people's prospective.... So you feel after 40 years, the Vietnamese people have prospered and have been treated fairly by their present government? We can't continue reward governments for bad acting. Don't you believe governments should earn your respect? Anyone that sees them on the same playing field as other nations has their head buried in a rice patty and in denial to the way they govern. And as far as your concerned, if it takes another 40 years of repressing the population that OK? All I can say to you my friend is to walk in their sandals. Yes, I have a grudge,, against those to deny people their human rights, respect, dignity, opportunity and the right to do what we are doing now, free speech!

Thailand probably currently has a worse record on human rights and not good for freedom of speech. I would say that Vietnam has dramatically improved, at least on the economic front, for the Vietnamese people during the last ten years and seems to be continuing to do so.

Get over it it man...

Harold Wilson was right when he showed Lyndon Johnson the door when he came over begging for us to send troops.