Prostitution: Thailand's worst kept secret

webfact

...of course...always some explanation...someone else's fault.....

You obviously didn't (couldn't?) read the full article. Who do you reckon is being blamed for what? Try reading it again

Or in your own language, "you.....obviously.....didn't (couldn't?).....read.....the full article. Who.....do you reckon.....is being blamed.....for what......?.....

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has never been occupied and colonized by a western, Christian power.

Their view of sex has remained pretty much the same as always. Sex is a part of life and a biological need for most....it is not considered to be a sinful pleasure or a vice!

Christian missionaries have failed miserably here ( thank god! lol) and their puritanical guilt is out of place here.

Thailand is only .2% Christian ( note the decimal point ) and most of those are foreigners and not Thai people.

I have always thought it a little strange that the westerners who do come here for sex ( and that is not all westerners) refuse to leave their Christian guilt about sex at home.

The problem with the sex industry in Thailand is not a Thai problem.

It is the problem of the westerners who come here and want to bring their guilt ridden western values with them.

What a load of rubish

I'm afraid yumiii is right.

Sex is commonly a taboo in the West, and if you break a taboo you're becoming part of it.

Yes Mich, But it all depends on the kind of company one tends to keep. That goes for East and West

Bloody hell, not far off 300 comments so far and the vast majority are from clearly illiterate posters who didn't click on the link to the full article and have no idea what it was actually saying. These posters are trying to take the piss out of Thais for what they think the report is about but what they're actually doing is emphasising what retards they actually are themselves.

Bloody hell, not far off 300 comments so far and the vast majority are from clearly illiterate posters who didn't click on the link to the full article and have no idea what it was actually saying. These posters are trying to take the piss out of Thais for what they think the report is about but what they're actually doing is emphasising what retards they actually are themselves.

Even though, You are starting to sound like a Thai wife moan moan moan <deleted!> Moan Lighten up a bit,old chap smile.png

I'm new to Thailand, I didn't realize there was prostitution in this country ... it's illegal isn't it ? blink.png

naw .......only when you marry sweet thai girl does it become a "crime" .

They're are no prostitutes in Thailand but lots of ladies looking for husbands and willing to spend short time or long time with men to see if they are sexually compatible.

Indeed, at least 99% of them are waitresses, or hotel receptionists or work in massage parlors ... and they are more than happy to spend time with anyone, of any age, for a small (in the beginning) financial consideration.

Can't remember where I read it, it was a while ago, but something like 90% of the prostitution here in Thailand is nothing at all to do with foreigners, it's Thai on Thai in those very discreet places that no one admits exist but everyone knows where they are and that has been the way of Thailand for centuries.

Oh, you mean those "discreet places" all along Rachadaphisek?

Thailand has never been occupied and colonized by a western, Christian power.

Their view of sex has remained pretty much the same as always. Sex is a part of life and a biological need for most....it is not considered to be a sinful pleasure or a vice!

Christian missionaries have failed miserably here ( thank god! lol) and their puritanical guilt is out of place here.

Thailand is only .2% Christian ( note the decimal point ) and most of those are foreigners and not Thai people.

I have always thought it a little strange that the westerners who do come here for sex ( and that is not all westerners) refuse to leave their Christian guilt about sex at home.

The problem with the sex industry in Thailand is not a Thai problem.

It is the problem of the westerners who come here and want to bring their guilt ridden western values with them.

What a load of rubish

I'm afraid yumiii is right.

Sex is commonly a taboo in the West, and if you break a taboo you're becoming part of it.

Nice viewpoint and perspective! Thanks for sharing.

Then there's the common courtesy among humans of how one should act when in another's place of residence... generally with respect to THEIR traditions.

Sorry, I've got no respect for Farang traditions. Not at all. I changed sides in 1969 and decided to respect Asian (Buddhist) traditions only, in case they're not compatible with Farang traditions.

Farangs in crowds don't even look human to me anymore, just like rats. Quite different if they come up as individuals and show some personality. Then I'll do the same.

Edited by micmichd

Coercion and trafficking should be a concern among those who openly tell of their sexploits with prostitutes on this forum. I have no problem with consenting adults doing what they choose but patrons should think a little more deeply than their self gratification and male prowess. If you scratch beneath the surface,can you tell between those who choose this way of life and those who have been forced into the job? How many on here can stand up and say they have never 'used' a girl who is under threat of some kind? If you can then fine. If you can't then maybe you are part of perpetuating the problem with your money going to mama sans and mafia or other people you would not like to meet.

You will be very much surprised how many hookers are from the South and Central Thailand. I would say 40% of all are not from Isaan but the South, Central and Northern Thai provinces. If you go to Rachada 70% are hookers from Bangkok and Central Thailand. You seem to be only in the cheap places.

BTW: The hookers in Isaan are from Lao.

UNICEF report 2012

Northeastern Thailand, referred to as Isan in the country,[8] is a completely different world than Central Thailand.] As Bangkok and its surrounding area continue to develop, Isan is going in the opposite direction. Although it is populous, the farming potential for this area is low.[8] The people there are unable to farm, and thus face massive amounts of poverty. This poverty is one of, if not the most, important contributing factors to child prostitution in Thailand. In Pattaya alone there is thought to be approximately 2,000 underage prostitutes involved in the prostitution industry, while approximately 900 underaged are thought to come to the area for prostitution every year.[9]

Adult prostitute from Bangkok and Pattaya are 80-90% from Issan .... and not from lao. Buriram or Surin are not in LAO

That means that only a small % are Thai,as Issan is technically speaking not Thai

Technically speaking Issan is an area whose boundaries are all within the Thai border. Not one part of Issan goes beyond the Mekong river.

To suggest that a person from Issan is not Thai is an absurd notion that selectively ignores national boundaries.

Do you also believe the the Rohingya people are not Burmese?

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I came from the tribal area of Old Heidelberg, Absurdistan in Farangistan, EU. We are hunters there, hunting tourist money. You have some?

Edited by micmichd

the main reason it exists is because thai people are way to lazy to work, easy money go to a restaurant in pattaya or patong and ask the owner about hiring staff they cannot get any, girls and men would rather sell their body and risk all sorts of medical or even life threatening problems other than work.thainess 4 ya

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.

I had to go from a small tribal area to find a job in Frankfurt, Absurdistan in Farangistan, EU.

Frankfurt. Many a bank, but banksters couldn't find staff. So they had to get staff from up country, like from Heidelberg. I felt like a prostitute sometimes, but like a good prostitute I made much money, and my customers liked me very much. I even had some pimps, they also liked me very much. And I liked the money very much.

Farangness 4u.

Edited by micmichd

If they ever ban prostitution in Thailand they would lose half of the single men as tourist. This is what attracts single and even married men to Thailand. Just

make sure the women are healthy and no HIV. And Thailand will forever be the tourist capital of the world for men. The land of a thousand smiles and thousands

of beautiful women!

Of course this is clearly based on your reason for coming here.

I've lived almost my entire life in Asia and 7 years in Thailand, plus many holidays here before I came to work here.

I 100% did not come for the women. I much prefer to date Western women with whom I can hold a proper conversation and with whom marriage would make sense.

Here's what I see as the real problem for Thais: If you admit Thailand is a big whorehouse, you loose face. If you don't, but everybody already knows it, you loose face because you're a hypocrite.

They've painted themselves to a corner. Unfortunately, what happens when Thais find themselves forced to a corner is usually violent, rash and irrational. Keep poking at this and they'll institute the mother of all crackdowns. Which, of course, to the puritanical members of TVF would be an excellent conversation piece to have while getting a BJ at their private clubs.

My stake at the game is, prostitution has acted as a deterrent for keeping the bible bashers out of Pattaya, which is a most excellent thing. Seems it's loosing it's power, unfortunately. Sodom needs a bag of new tricks to keep 'em out.

prostitution has acted as a deterrent for keeping the bible bashers out of Pattaya cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

the main reason it exists is because thai people are way to lazy to work, easy money go to a restaurant in pattaya or patong and ask the owner about hiring staff they cannot get any, girls and men would rather sell their body and risk all sorts of medical or even life threatening problems other than work.thainess 4 ya

Do you mean they take the risk to catch STD or even HIV from Farangs?

Good Thread!

But I have noticed the girls of Issan and laos seem to be getting all of the credit.

Here is a big "shout out" tho the girls of Cambodia and Vietnam I have met over the past year working here in Thailand.

They are cute, sweet, speak great English and are a real credit to their profession.

I just think it is good to give credit where credit is due!

Forgive me but you understand nothing at all about Thailand or poverty.

I'm new to Thailand, I didn't realize there was prostitution in this country ... it's illegal isn't it ? blink.png

Doh!

Not to betaken seriously, steven100 has a reputation for stirring and playing the dumb ass on every forum I've noticed

Too much prostitute bashing in my opinion. Why call them "prostitutes" and "whores?" Those are labels put on them by "society" to denigrate them. To make them seem like they are some other species besides human beings. We should call them what they really are -- sex workers. Most of these girls are working for economic reasons and many are "normal" girls you would meet anywhere. Many are just village girls helping their families. They will leave the "business" one day and return to being "normal"...thus being a prostitute or whore is a misnomer that is in fact only a temporary label for the vast majority of sex workers.

Time to call it quits on this topic. Enuf sed. It is all very boring now

You mean the subject matter is too in depth for you to follow....?

Is that what you mean? ....LOL

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Many are just village girls helping their families.

Some are, sad but true.

Many however are not. they will buy the latest iphone 6, spend 1000's on baht each week on total nonsense, will get drunk each day, etc.

Not judging them btw, up to them.

Fact is, I know plenty of girls working in a factory for 12.000/month (inlcluding OT) and supporting their family...

Too much prostitute bashing in my opinion. Why call them "prostitutes" and "whores?" Those are labels put on them by "society" to denigrate them. To make them seem like they are some other species besides human beings. We should call them what they really are -- sex workers. Most of these girls are working for economic reasons and many are "normal" girls you would meet anywhere. Many are just village girls helping their families. They will leave the "business" one day and return to being "normal"...thus being a prostitute or whore is a misnomer that is in fact only a temporary label for the vast majority of sex workers.

Quite right , Bar lady , is a more, appropriate title .krap.

if it werent for pussy, Thailand would not have an international airport. FACT

Maybe Swampy , should be renamed . Any suggestions . coffee1.gif

El Dorado?

Paradise . The major problem is with farlangs ,

Who come to Thailand , and discover sex is easy here , and has no emotional attachments/ hangups .

Hang loose , you aint her first , and probably , aint her last ..

P.S , same you , kap

Welcome , LOS.

Edited by elliss

To call prostitutes "sex workers" is an insult to all hard working Thais.

You think they deserve equal respect? 555.

And although their "work" may be temporary, the decision to go after "easy money" is going to color every decision they make in the future.

Read stickman BKK for story after story of people who married whores thinking that she was going to change, because they don't like being whores.

Absurd. The reason they are whores is because they prefer being hookers, rather than working.

555+