Agriculture Min launches campaign promoting egg consumption

Lite Beer

Agriculture Min launches campaign promoting egg consumption

BANGKOK, 3 July 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has introduced a new campaign aimed at boosting Thai people’s consumption of eggs to 300 per person per year within three years’ time.

Director-General of the Department of Livestock Development Ayuth Harintaranon presided over the opening ceremony of a campaign entitled “Egg E Egg Egg 2015” which is being organized by the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry until July 12 at Central Plaza Rattanathibet. The campaign is part of a strategy to increase the rate of egg consumption among Thai citizens from the current 200 eggs per person per year to 300 by 2018.

The event primarily aims to instill the habit of egg consumption in Thai people of all ages, from early childhood to teenage years and adulthood, as well as the elderly and the sick.

Moreover, it is also to express loyalty to Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on the occasion of her 60th birthday anniversary on April 2 this year. Among the activities featured in the event are exhibitions on Her Royal Highness’s contributions towards the promotion of egg consumption, such as the inclusion of eggs into her Agriculture for Lunch project.

There will be a cooking demonstration on a special egg menu invented by the Princess while 6,000 eggs will be given away to visitors for free.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-03 footer_n.gif

Why do Thai people need to be told to eat extra eggs?

Surely there are more important things to focus on?

I can see the one chicken campaign looming where everyone has a chicken or several

Followed by an oversupply of eggs and the price hitting the floor.

This is Thailand.

Jay , you beat me to it. WHY ?

Eggs are not that healthy. Instead of overproducing eggs by chickens held in absolute horrifying conditions , they should limit their numbers , keep them in much better environment . And it would get prices up.

Its time to promote the sugar cane industry too, lets get the domestic economy rolling.

Diabetes is a fake illness anyway, you can consume as much sugar as you like.

I believe next on the aggro-promotion agenda is a resurgence in Golden Triangle premium product. Much more profitable

You could not make this up...

What gems does tomorrow hold?

Maybe gold found in the ricefields of Issan and another Klondike?

I think there's a promotion in the making to ask people to consume more soy, fish and oyster sauce..

it's good for your blood pressure and all around well being....

Jay , you beat me to it. WHY ?

Eggs are not that healthy. Instead of overproducing eggs by chickens held in absolute horrifying conditions , they should limit their numbers , keep them in much better environment . And it would get prices up.

You are so very right. Despite all the advertising, eggs raised under factory farming conditions are not a healthy source of nutrition. Most of Thailand's consumers are unaware of the use of antibiotics and hormones in the Asian poultry industry. The cruel and filthy conditions are another issue.

One company has a massive, almost monopolistic presence in the egg and poultry business.Anything that promotes egg and chicken consumption directly helps this company which is considered a strong friend of the current government.

Why do Thai people need to be told to eat extra eggs?

Surely there are more important things to focus on?

I can see the one chicken campaign looming where everyone has a chicken or several

Followed by an oversupply of eggs and the price hitting the floor.

This is Thailand.

laugh.png

As an aside, Tesco were recently handing out a dozen eggs free every purchase. What's going on? Oversupply of chickens along with rice now?

So which eggs are the best to by? hard to find organic.

I do eat eggs everyday, but never really sure which are the best, sometimes from the local market in Jomtien but I think they just buy them in Makro anyway.

Overall the ones in 7/11 in 4's I find the best and I always check the packets for the freshest

This is a perfect cooked freshh egg, the whites have 2 levels, when the white spread out all over the pan and is flat indicates a not so fresh one

post-6099-0-26211600-1435985618_thumb.jp

This promotion may be more related to a failure of the current government's efforts to eliminate the egg oversupply that is pressuring lower prices.

It had deployed a scheme encouraging egg farmers to relieve old hens of their duty by giving 40 baht of compensation for every hen relieved. With hens removed from egg-laying the supply of eggs would contract. Maybe the farmers took the money and kept the hens.

Many years ago, in the 50s, the egg marketing board in the UK, did exactly the same thing with their " Go to work on an egg" campaign.

I "went to work on an egg" twice. Now the school fees are crippling me sad.png

The health benefits of eggs aren't all that they're cracked up to be.

T

That's nearly as bad a yoke as mine!

Hey! You're not allowed to play this game. But tell ya what, omelet this transgression slide.

T

Have to agree that it's kind of a shame to think the government is pushing so hard for more chemical-intensive and not so humane eggs from CP.

If you're looking for eggs that are produced organically, though, you can give ours a try! Hilltribe Organics is everywhere in Bangkok, in Villa, Tops, Gourmet Market and plenty of restaurants.

Guaranteed no chemicals, and the chickens really do live on pasture: https://www.facebook.com/HilltribeOrganics

I don't think we'll ever be able to forgive them for the name 'Egg E Egg Egg 2015'.... =)