60's British bike.

I know this issue well. Comes down to the year of the bike. I thrashed my T100 Triumph cafe racer around for ages on unleaded without a problem. But it can be a problem especially on older engines.

The following is from the Norton owners club. Still get the same problem in England.

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-general/leaded-unleaded#the-old-vehicle-problem

Solutions - fuel and oil additives

Since the seat recession problem has only become serious with the withdrawal of a petrol additive it naturally raises the question of looking for an alternative additive to achieve the same result without altering engines. Such research has not been without success. Phosphorus based additives tested by Associated Octel succeeded in reducing wear back to leaded fuel levels, but not without side effects. Deposits and plug fouling were serious, and it was also recognised that the phosphorus based emissions can be as noxious as the leaded ones being replaced, and are unlikely to be adopted. Other, metal based, additives studied have been found to be beneficial, some may even find their way into our petrol supplies, but current environmental pressure does not favour heavy loadings with materials destined to become exhaust emissions.

However for the user of an old vehicle the research does confirm that beneficial treatments to be added to pump petrol are possible. More recently sulphur based additives have been marketed, on which I have not yet seen any test results. An additive must be possible, if only because if you could buy petrol loaded with 2mg/litre of tetra-ethyl lead (rather nasty stuff on its own, but this is only what we used to buy as high octane petrol), then mixing it at roughly the same ratio as two-stroke owners mix their oil, would produce current leaded fuel! The old vehicle movement needs more, thorough, tests, and to publicise them when done - it is certainly not safe to assume that because an additive is marketed then it must be effective - caveat emptor!

It could well be a 2 stroke!!!!!!

Ahhh, I remember my Villiers 250cc twin 2 stroke with much affection, it was a great bike and so easy to maintain. Never felt the same about the Triumph 500cc Speed Twin I bought a little later on.

May I suggest aviation fuel, "avgas", otherwise known as 100LL , which stands for 100 octane low lead. In spite of the name, this has lead and other additives to protect the 1940s technology in most light aircraft engines.

It can be bought in 200litre or 50litre drums from some airports around the country, and costs about ฿60/litre, plus the drum and delivery if applicable.

Benzine 95. The yellow sign. Its more expensive than the gasohol so ride around and glance at the price boards. Saves you going in to every station and asking all the time.

Thats what I did to find it for my good old Super Four.

There's plenty that sell it in Pattaya along Sukhumvit Road. I use PTT opposite outlet mall as its near my house.

As far as I remember the issue is only to do with the seals, it is not an issueto do with knocking etc.the issue you are going to have is with your o rings, gaskets seals etc. while the ethanol content of the fuels should be the major probelm as opposed to octane rating. it is the seals that will start to leak. you just need to replace them with something tolerant..

May I suggest aviation fuel, "avgas", otherwise known as 100LL , which stands for 100 octane low lead. In spite of the name, this has lead and other additives to protect the 1940s technology in most light aircraft engines.

It can be bought in 200litre or 50litre drums from some airports around the country, and costs about ฿60/litre, plus the drum and delivery if applicable.

Yeh, I bought the stuff for my Trans when racing....thumbsup.gif

The issue is about valve seats, lead substitute should be used. I ran 98 unleaded with Castrol additive with no probs in the Trans.It had 1968 HC heads...smile.png

digression, but:

I have a 1994 Toyota 1UZ. I am running it on PTT B95, is that OK or should I look for some lead additive?

The issue is about valve seats, lead substitute should be used. I ran 98 unleaded with Castrol additive with no probs in the Trans.It had 1968 HC heads...smile.png

digression, but:

I have a 1994 Toyota 1UZ. I am running it on PTT B95, is that OK or should I look for some lead additive?

Alloy head will have hardened valve seats, no need for lead additives.

digression, but:

Alloy head will have hardened valve seats, no need for lead additives.

Additives are good for valve stem/guide lubrication. Alloy heads have cast iron seats pressed in. My 1976 did not, just the cast head, but the 68 and 76 heads I assume were of a different cast..

Iam talking about the 1uz motor that I replied to.

500 twin

Not very specific are you. Not very helpful.

Right from the OP seven word query was not very specific...surely if you want some advice you put as much info and feedback as possible.

In reality tho' i guess it doesn;'t really make any difference what make or size '60;s Brit bike it is [2 strokes aside]..the info needed would all be the same.

Op this is a free forum, you don't have to pay per word you know.thumbsup.gif

It would be really handy to know which bike it is.

For example, some (but not all) of the Beezer engines had hard valve seats as standard allowing them to run on unleaded without modification or additives, which would just leave the ethanol issue to sort.

Does it have an after market head (Rickman 8-valve)?

Any pertinent information will gain more directed responses.