SURVEY: Should Thailand legalize gay Marriage?

Scott

Should Thailand legalize gay marriage  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is already legal in both gay and man and women love affairs. More women in Thailand have husbands by name only. Gay marriages are the same as women. If you legalize gay marriages what about the Thai women with out legal marriages?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is already legal in both gay and man and women love affairs. More women in Thailand have husbands by name only. Gay marriages are the same as women. If you legalize gay marriages what about the Thai women with out legal marriages?

Your post is very fuzzy, but the issue here isn't about criminalization of homosexuality. Homosexuality is legal in Thailand. The issue is legalization of SAME SEX MARRIAGES. That would include two men marrying and also two women marrying. It doesn't address adultery which is a moral question and not illegal in Thailand either (at least I hope not!).

Edited by Jingthing

I thought an Australian guy paid his husbands parents 30 million sin sod thus setting the new

bar which all the girls dream/fantasize about, I did not realize the marriage was only symbolic.

The husband price certainly was not. tongue.png

I thought an Australian guy paid his husbands parents 30 million sin sod thus setting the new

bar which all the girls dream/fantasize about, I did not realize the marriage was only symbolic.

That's correct.

Neither legal same sex civil unions or same sex marriages are recognized under Thai law.

For that to change, the government will need to take action.

Which likely will happen. It's only a question of when.

Anyone can have an informal marriage party but this is about formal legalization of relationships. Before marriage equality became a reality in the U.S. it was very common for gay couples to have marriage events that everyone understood were legally meaningless. That's where Thailand is at now.

Edited by Jingthing

30 million Jesus,who was he marrying,Brad Pitt?

If nature had intended man to marry man and woman to marry woman it

would have given them the gift of procreation, it did not consider such a

union worthy of that gift, it surely must then follow that such a union is not

in line with nature and therefore unnatural and abnormal, nothing more to

be said really.

Now when innocent children are introduced into this situation we can

no longer claim that gay marriage does not harm anyone when it will,

in fact, affect every subsequent generation down the road from every

gay/lesbian marriage, and the crime is that these innocents will have

no choice or say in the matter, will they?

Uh, yeah, except there's wide-spread examples of same-sex sexual behaviour amongst many animals in 'nature' which seems to clash against the your attempt to define nature's 'intent' as the be-all and end-all of what is right or wrong (and procreation the only defining factor in sexual relationships. Damn those abnormal masturbators). It's lazy anthropomorphism, where nature somehow gets tied into the concept of morality. The same kind of false logic where "some animals eat their young = cannibalism and child murder is natural and right".

I didn't understand much of the innocent children stuff though. What exactly is the harm and crime here..? That they have loving parents who can't procreate or something..? Just didn't follow this at all.

You mean you didn't know that gay parents always abuse abuse their children whereas straight parents never do?

Thanks to ThaiVisa I've just learnt this shocking fact. Along with the horrifying plight of the 'straight cake bakers', one of the most marginalised and oppressed groups of people in society.

Oh, and also the fact that 'gay people have ruined rainbows'. mellow.png

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one JT. I mean the poster who you do not want to post you garbage ever again.

You have missed my point entirely, I as an atheist have no problem with gay marriage whatsover.

My problem lies with the cultural imperialists who are trying to impose their view of whats right and wrong onto us.

Just because its acceptable in Syndey, San Fran or New York doesnt mean now is the time for Thais to embrace it.

The Thais will embrace it when they are ready for it, not when some farang tells them they should.

I would have thought with an avatar like yours you would have understood, sadly it appears I am wrong.

I have no problemos supporting JT, if he can lead me to whatever protests, sit in or demonstrations he has participated in or arranged in Thailand for gay marraige, perhaps he could point me to whatever online blog or petition he has set up, when does he intend handing in such a petition to Gov't house?

Its easy to be an internet warrior, battles were won on the streets not the internet.

Its not me or you he needs to convince its the Thais, he has been here long enough to understand, the Thais dont like conflict.

One suspects before Thailand legally recognises gay marriage, they will recognise common law relationships between men and women first, and that doesn't seem to be appearing on the horizon any time soon

Edited by Soutpeel

One suspects before Thailand legally recognises gay marriage, they will recognise common law relationships between men and women first, and that doesn't seem to be appearing on the horizon any time soon

I don't follow your logic as they are separate issues.

I agree it should be legalized everywhere....but not because care about another individuals' sexuality nor who they choose to marry.

I believe the debate is taking up too much of peoples time and and energy, Bureaucrats in the west waste too much time debating over something that doesn't really impact the lives of the real majority - I can't help wondering that surely there are better places to be channeling tax dollars.

I agree it should be legalized everywhere....but not because care about another individuals' sexuality nor who they choose to marry.

I believe the debate is taking up too much of peoples time and and energy, Bureaucrats in the west waste too much time debating over something that doesn't really impact the lives of the real majority - I can't help wondering that surely there are better places to be channeling tax dollars.

Or just do away with legalised "marriage" completely and just have some form of "civil" contract, if you want to do the religious bit thats fine but not legally binding, a bit like the system Thailand has now

Just telling your friends you are a couple and having a party should be enough for any couple. There should be no legal or financial benefit to being legally married. Do away with it. If someone wants a religious ceremony then up to them. Its just about doing what we are supposed to do or our parents did but it amounts to being in place to control people well it originated that way..

Yes, make the people happy. Polls show Thailand is the gayest country in Asia. Polls should be read by Thai politicians, BUT they do not get any PAYOLA for reading.

Edited by themerg

can't be bothered to read all the posts,just personally I do not like to be touched by a gay,that is my perogative.Why should I have to adhere to their rites when as a normal person I am being denied my own opinion with the threat of being accused of being anti whatever,do a survey on normal people and ask what they think.there is plenty of choice of subjects.

can't be bothered to read all the posts,just personally I do not like to be touched by a gay,that is my perogative.Why should I have to adhere to their rites when as a normal person I am being denied my own opinion with the threat of being accused of being anti whatever,do a survey on normal people and ask what they think.there is plenty of choice of subjects.

I do not like to get nude massages from bigots.

But that has nothing to do with this poll question, just like your weird homophobic comment about not liking to be touched "a gay" (quaint way of putting it, are you Filipino?). Adhere to rites? No, you aren't required to marry a man or attend a gay wedding ... so you can relax your nether regions. Intolerance of intolerance isn't intolerance.

shouldn't thailand worry about something more important?

So Thailand from your POV is so limited in capability that they can't consider multiple policy questions at the same time?

In a sense, I would agree that currently Thailand's government is in a transitional phase towards who knows what, and social questions like this will necessarily take the back burner.

Anyway, the poll question doesn't really address TIMING. It obviously isn't happening RIGHT NOW.

Edited by Jingthing

of course

Of course.....not.

Marriage is for men and women.

It doesn't appear to be at the moment and it wasn't back in Ancient Greece, not sure why you think you can just decide what something is for, it's clearly for what ever people use it for.

Marriage between opposite sex or same sex marriages are the same. If you love some one you should be allowed to marry them. But in both cases after a few years together you might wonder why you did it!

Marriage between opposite sex or same sex marriages are the same. If you love some one you should be allowed to marry them. But in both cases after a few years together you might wonder why you did it!

A few years if you're very lucky!

Apologize if I misread, but your statement that "(other countries) should stop holding up the US and the West as shining beacons of enlightenment"--in the context of this thread--would suggest that you feel the US legalizing gay marriage is not something that Thailand should follow. Regardless, there are a great many things that the US gov does that I don't agree with. In this case, the US Supreme Court did the right thing. You should also realize that the rest of the world does follow the US in many respects. If the US federal gov ever decided to legalize marijuana, for example, that would be a huge statement that the rest of the world would have to take heed.

Not sure why you and some folks would want to take a neutral position. It's pretty clear to me that if you're not "for" it, then you're "against" it, whether you say so or not. Makes no difference to me. It's just a poll.

mmm I think in these matters US mostly follows Europe .I think in some Euro countries they legalized gay marriage already 15 years ago ...

now they talk about the legalization of having kids.

the Netherlands have legalized some drugs already looong time I think ..

Yes the U.S. wasn't an early leader in marriage equality, but compared to Netherlands, the U.S. is a very big fish with unusually significant cultural influence internationally.

The global impact of the U.S. decision will indeed be historically important in influencing many other countries to move forward on this, including Thailand.

It's about 20 countries now so it's not so unusual anymore and when people say marriage is only a man and a woman they are objectively full of BS ... not in the approximately 20 countries.

Edited by Jingthing

This is what offends me. But I won’t demand their rainbow flag be banned and I certainly won’t riot in the streets.

Two absolutely terrible disgusting 'people'.

would you say the same if they were 2 girls protesting like this ?