Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

I give the missus 70k a month ,we ahve 2 kids and our own house with no rent to pay. I give her that much as she's looked after my kids for 10 years and I don't want her to feel she has to "Ask" me when she wants something.

Ive been lucky with work for the last 13 years in Asia an as OP does, I save money

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread should have been called " Cost of Living in Bangkok"..

There is much more to Thailand than just bangkok and most is far less expensive.

I am amazed at what some of you pay to rent an apartment there, and, not loving the city lifestyle, need to ask myself why you do it.

For an example:

My family and I live in a house on about one acre of land. ( see attached photo )

The house was brand new when we moved in two years ago.

It is in a quite area, but only about 3 minutes away from "the big city".

We love it.

The rent?

3,500 THB / Month

I know we all have different needs and wants.

The life my family enjoys is far less expensive than " The Big Mango".

post-147745-0-18271600-1436218908_thumb.

I think this thread should have been called " Cost of Living in Bangkok"..

There is much more to Thailand than just bangkok and most is far less expensive.

I am amazed at what some of you pay to rent an apartment there, and, not loving the city lifestyle, need to ask myself why you do it.

For an example:

My family and I live in a house on about one acre of land. ( see attached photo )

The house was brand new when we moved in two years ago.

It is in a quite area, but only about 3 minutes away from "the big city".

We love it.

The rent?

3,500 THB / Month

I know we all have different needs and wants.

The life my family enjoys is far less expensive than " The Big Mango".

attachicon.gifDSCF6459.JPG

Thats a nice house actually, we built something similar about 7 years ago but with normal type slate roof. Land was my wifes and the house and everything with it cost about 2m

Frankly, 74K baht/month seems about right to me for a single guy. A little while ago Hubby and I were approached by a writer from International Living magazine to disclose our retirement living budget for our "carefree life" in Chiang Mai. Now realize were deeply involved in the community, he's the president of a Rotary club and I'm the president of the CM Expats Club, but we rent a fairly modest condo and don't travel much. We do eat out frequently and like our wine (hey, who doesn't?) I also record every baht we spend and donate on Quicken and shared it with the writer from International Living magazine.

Needless to say, his editor didn't like the results. She said it just can't be possible. She thought everyone who retired in Chiang Mai was living on less than $1000 per month. Frankly, I think we put the writer between the rock and a hard place because he had a great "get" in having us disclose our budget but the results weren't what the editor was expecting.

She wrote some weasel words about how if you stripped out our charitable contributions and "over insurance" then our budget wouldn't be so high and finally published the article.

charitable donations are not a living expense

I don't even spend that much in the US, which is a VERY expensive country to live in. I've always figured that about half of a typical net wage in the West would be enough to live on in Thailand due to the lower living costs. That would be about US$1250 a month. Remember, it's only "cheap" when you're spending a western currency. If you have to make a living in Thailand, it's not so "cheap".

Frankly, 74K baht/month seems about right to me for a single guy. A little while ago Hubby and I were approached by a writer from International Living magazine to disclose our retirement living budget for our "carefree life" in Chiang Mai. Now realize were deeply involved in the community, he's the president of a Rotary club and I'm the president of the CM Expats Club, but we rent a fairly modest condo and don't travel much. We do eat out frequently and like our wine (hey, who doesn't?) I also record every baht we spend and donate on Quicken and shared it with the writer from International Living magazine.

Needless to say, his editor didn't like the results. She said it just can't be possible. She thought everyone who retired in Chiang Mai was living on less than $1000 per month. Frankly, I think we put the writer between the rock and a hard place because he had a great "get" in having us disclose our budget but the results weren't what the editor was expecting.

She wrote some weasel words about how if you stripped out our charitable contributions and "over insurance" then our budget wouldn't be so high and finally published the article.

charitable donations are not a living expense

Yes, they are in Chiang Mai when many of the expat social activities are styled as "charity functions". As is involvement in Rotary -- it has both a charity and social aspect. It certainly is something that keeps a person busy in retirement.

The first couple years we were here we had to live on a tight budget -- mainly because the tax bill from the shut down of our business in the U.S. was higher than we'd expected. Once we worked our way thru that and some of our pensions started, we had more income and life became much nicer. To me, that was the message for the writer -- the way we chose to spend our time in retirement, in community service, requires some expenditure and should be built into the budget. People should think about how they're going to spend their retirement time and budget for it. If they think they can spend their entire retirement living in Thailand on a barebones budget, they're going to go crazy.

75k baht in the big mango sounds about right for a single man if you wants to live fairly comfortable.

He got a maid, drinks a lot of coffee in the shops with same name, why not, enjoy it while you can.

Okay spending that much on health insurance I don't understand, but up to him.

In Pattaya where we live, a nice house will cost app 30k baht per month in rent, nothing fancy, a fancy house in our village is 100k baht and is rented out often.

We choose to buy a house here, if I go 6 feet under, my wife can stay in it with our son, or sell it and have a good chunk of money in the bank.

It will also be cheaper to live here when I retire in +10 years time.

We spend over 150k baht per month but okay, also living nicely and not really checking where all the money goes.

Having our house do cost big money to maintain now and again I must admit, we just spend app 100k baht for getting it up and looking real good again with fresh paint and other stuff but okay only needed every 5-6 years, we moved in later 2009.

One leather sofa had had it, 24k baht for new leather or app 70k baht for a new 1+2+3 sofa system, we choose the new leather so I am saving money sometimes.

No doubt in my mind that we live more comfortable here than we could if we moved back to Scandi for the same money.

Back in Scani there would be no house maid twice a week or a big motorbike basically only used as a big boys toy or a house as big as ours.

Sorry if somebody took it as bragging, that was not intended but just telling it as it is.

Some expats here are really really well off, man the cars they drives tells it all, Porches, Bimmers and BMW's are often seen driven here in Pattaya by expats, I even saw a dude in a Lamborghini once, holy cow man, I am only rattling along in a pick-up truck, he-he, no way in hell could I afford an expensive import like that.

2x insurance

5600 Baht Donations every month

15780 for rent...what a palace?

There are people who live OK with 12.000 baht per month and they don't live bad.

In central ish Bangkok 15000 will get u a halfway decent one bedroom apartment no palace but perfectly livable 35/40 mtrs, decent block not to far from skytrain

rijit

older apartment Onnut area = 6300 baht per month.....55 sq mtrs.

2x insurance

There are people who live OK with 12.000 baht per month and they don't live bad.

In central ish Bangkok 15000 will get u a halfway decent one bedroom apartment no palace but perfectly livable 35/40 mtrs, decent block not to far from skytrain

rijit

older apartment Onnut area = 6300 baht per month.....55 sq mtrs.
Thats really cheap. But tbh Cant imagine someone that can afford to spend 75000 a mnth would want to live there i probably wouldnt but I'm sure there are exceptions and cheap rents if you hunt around. Just out of interest where did u c that?

rijit

Edited by rijit

Guzzi850m2, why will it be cheaper to live in Thailand after you retire?

Can't speak for Guzzi850m2 , or even others, BUT as for me

NO INSURANCE

If I lived in the states it would be mandatory for me to have health insurance (Obumacare) ....Cost $12,000/year (30,000 Baht/month)....been living in Thailand for over 10 years now (retired) and have in savings now over $100,000 ....now, I understand that this is not for everyone but I was in good health and still am....future? but have a nice nest egg that should take care of any situation. Also health care costs are a LOT cheaper than in the US

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

Bought a house 10 years ago for less than what a downpayment on a typical house in the US was, SO no house payment, no taxes, lower utility bills etc .....If I was in the US I would be making a house payment of at least $2000/month (30,000 Baht/month...ie mortgage payment), Paying property taxes of approx $6000/yr (10,000 baht/month)

As for all other expenses many are cheaper or non-existant (ie...US need cable/dish for TV (cost about $100/month or 3000 baht/month)...Thailand ...no cost as use IPM dish , Garbage collection (US....$50/month or 1500 Baht/month).....Thailand no cost as use public bins, Water (US ....$150/month or 4500 baht/month) Thailand cost is about $10/month or 300 Baht, Sewer fee (US ...$75/month or 2250 Baht/month) Thailand no cost as on septic system. And the list goes on...........

I'm sure there are other savings but I think you get the point ....by living in Thailand I save over 80,000/Baht month AND at a HIGHER standard than in the US (live on the beach)

(NOTE: Used 30 Baht to the dollar as opposed to the actual rate of 32.8 to the dollar)

Edited by beachproperty

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I still can't wait to get back though biggrin.png

yes, and this is the point I was trying to make.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

if you choose to live like a thai u can do

I had subscribed to the newsletter of international Living magazine for a while until I became suspicious of the numbers of places (mostly in Southern America) there were where one could live very comfortably on less or just a bit more than a US$ 1000 per month. I just didn't believe it and your experience with them shows how they compile those figures. Thanks for sharing, Nancy.

I had subscribed to the newsletter of international Living magazine for a while until I became suspicious of the numbers of places (mostly in Southern America) there were where one could live very comfortably on less or just a bit more than a US$ 1000 per month. I just didn't believe it and your experience with them shows how they compile those figures. Thanks for sharing, Nancy.

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

if you choose to live like a thai u can do
Yeah You hang in expat bars. guzzle western beer and spirits eat dull bad over priced western food your costs of living in thailand can shoot up dramticaly, personaly barring.the weather cant see the point of living in thailand and doing that but each to its own.

rijit

Edited by rijit

For a couple with a young kid, renting out of tourist areas, one car, one motorbike, not mortgage, car loans, and credit cards debts, without expensive "adictions", alcohol, fancy food and restaurants, fancy clothing, etc, 40000 thb will be enough to having a decent mid class life, paid insurances, school, some local traveling, etc,......that in the US will cost at least 5 times more.

Cost of living in Thailand is dependent on one's level of engagement with the ladies. Some can suck up 50,000 baht a month without breaking a sweat. There are others that are very happy with a roof over their heads and a couple of thousand baht each month. Mind you, they are probably not as good-looking as the money vacuums.

My spend in Chiang Mai runs at about 50K baht per month. I eat about 85% Thai, 15% other cuisines. Rent is 8500 baht a month for a fully furnished studio apartment, 47 sqm. 40,000 baht per month for an apartment would be way out of my league, but each to his own.

2x insurance

rijit

Before I rent a complete house, a bit outside. Enough place for an office with 4-5 people and living upstair and it cost me 6500 Baht per month. My staff rent 1 bed apartments for 1000-1500 Baht per month (also a bit outside) so I think there must be something that is a bit more center but still cheaper than 15K.

Depends how far out you are prepared to go.

If you are prepared to go out to Udomsuk or even Bearing you can get a one bedroom place for 12-15K baht.

Bear in mind that these locations are close to BTS stations, you can of course go away from the BTS and prices drop quite a bit, however you then have the hassle of finding a taxi to get to the nearest BTS every time you want to go into town. If you go in every day that can rapidly cost more than the savings from moving out of town.

For a couple with a young kid, renting out of tourist areas, one car, one motorbike, not mortgage, car loans, and credit cards debts, without expensive "adictions", alcohol, fancy food and restaurants, fancy clothing, etc, 40000 thb will be enough to having a decent mid class life, paid insurances, school, some local traveling, etc,......that in the US will cost at least 5 times more.

No it wont cost 5 times more and you know that very well.

NO INSURANCE

If I lived in the states it would be mandatory for me to have health insurance (Obumacare) ....Cost $12,000/year (30,000 Baht/month)....been living in Thailand for over 10 years now (retired) and have in savings now over $100,000 ....now, I understand that this is not for everyone but I was in good health and still am....future? but have a nice nest egg that should take care of any situation. Also health care costs are a LOT cheaper than in the US

Dunno how old you are but reckless to be here without insurance if you're over 50.

Sure, you might be a gym rat and really conscientious about your diet but then again, you might be a smoker, heavy drinker and sit around all day

US$100K self-insurance is fine if you're in your 30s or 40s but you'd be surprised how much a triple bypass and a few weeks in a private hospital room can run you

NO INSURANCE

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

Bought a house 10 years ago for less than what a downpayment on a typical house in the US was, SO no house payment, no taxes, lower utility bills etc .....If I was in the US I would be making a house payment of at least $2000/month (30,000 Baht/month...ie mortgage payment), Paying property taxes of approx $6000/yr (10,000 baht/month)

As for all other expenses many are cheaper or non-existant (ie...US need cable/dish for TV (cost about $100/month or 3000 baht/month)...Thailand ...no cost as use IPM dish , Garbage collection (US....$50/month or 1500 Baht/month).....Thailand no cost as use public bins, Water (US ....$150/month or 4500 baht/month) Thailand cost is about $10/month or 300 Baht, Sewer fee (US ...$75/month or 2250 Baht/month) Thailand no cost as on septic system. And the list goes on...........

I'm sure there are other savings but I think you get the point ....by living in Thailand I save over 80,000/Baht month AND at a HIGHER standard than in the US (live on the beach)

(NOTE: Used 30 Baht to the dollar as opposed to the actual rate of 32.8 to the dollar)

one good car accident can wipe your savings out in an instant

NO INSURANCE

Dunno how old you are but reckless to be here without insurance if you're over 50.

Sure, you might be a gym rat and really conscientious about your diet but then again, you might be a smoker, heavy drinker and sit around all day

US$100K self-insurance is fine if you're in your 30s or 40s but you'd be surprised how much a triple bypass and a few weeks in a private hospital room can run you

Triple bypass in Thailand ........$25,000.......750,000 Baht (friend just had it done)

Triple Bypass in US..................Probably $200,000 .......6,000,000 Baht

(had 2 balloons put in 10 years ago in the US when I had insurance and cost then, paid by insurance was $75,000 vs $7,500 in Thailand (got a quote from Bangkok Hospital)

And yes ....over 50

So you think reckless.....well, that's you ....not me...and as I said I have over $100,000 in investments (OVER being the key word) to cover contingencies in case of medical emergencies.....AND if none ...well then ...I'm money ahead. tongue.png

NO INSURANCE

Triple bypass in Thailand ........$25,000.......750,000 Baht (friend just had it done)

Triple Bypass in US..................Probably $200,000 .......6,000,000 Baht

(had 2 balloons put in 10 years ago in the US when I had insurance and cost then, paid by insurance was $75,000 vs $7,500 in Thailand (got a quote from Bangkok Hospital)

And yes ....over 50

So you think reckless.....well, that's you ....not me...and as I said I have over $100,000 in investments (OVER being the key word) to cover contingencies in case of medical emergencies.....AND if none ...well then ...I'm money ahead. tongue.png

a serious auto accident can put you in ICU a lot longer than a bypass

NO INSURANCE

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

AND my life.....so what good would insurance be then.

I obviously look at insurance different than a lot of folks here....buying insurance is like betting on the fact that you are going to be seriously ill. I'd rather bet on the fact that I'm am going to be healthy (and take steps to that end) BUT if something happens I have more than enough to take care of it.

Really???? Compare British train fares with Thailands (yes I know British trains are faster and safer than Thailands).

What about Taxi fares, bus fares, paying for a hotel, eating out, renting or buying property. The UK is cheaper than Thailand????????

What about TV licences, council tax, this tax and that tax????

With a condo bought and paid for I'm convinced I could exist on 300 Baht a day living expense with things like electric/water and internet/tv excluded.

Exist mind you.

In reality I wouldn't do it for less than 100k Baht a month.

-----------------------

I am a retiree, living alone in Bangkok.

I have a one room flat in a residence with air conditioning, cable television, free weekly maid cleaning service, and a free monthly laundry service (40 pieces of laundry a month). Restaurant downstairs..... breakfasts between 150 and 200 Baht....average evening meal maybe 200 Baht.

Small convenience store in building. (cold beer available if wanted).

Just paid the rent for June, about 20K baht. Figure another 10K to 12K baht for meals monthly.... let's say total 30 or maybe 35K baht monthly total.

Easily done on my pension ...... about 50K Baht monthly.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea.... but I'm happy.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Canary Sun. WHERE ARE YOU?

NO INSURANCE

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

No insurance?

A big risk - my insurance $1300 a year.- has a $1000 excess - so you don't claim for minor things .

My worry is cancer- have had friends who were ultimate fitness freaks- who died at quite an early age.

We live in the tropics malignant skin cancers- a real danger- the incidence is increasing year on year .

I don't really worry too much- BUT if Heaven forbid you need treatment for something serious- your nest egg will disappear in a puff of smoke.

NO INSURANCE

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

AND my life.....so what good would insurance be then.

I obviously look at insurance different than a lot of folks here....buying insurance is like betting on the fact that you are going to be seriously ill. I'd rather bet on the fact that I'm am going to be healthy (and take steps to that end) BUT if something happens I have more than enough to take care of it.

no you dont.