Anti-coup protests tipped to continue

webfact

Anti-coup protests tipped to continue
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN,
WASSAMON AUDJARINT
THE NATION

30263991-01_big.JPG?1436308699542
Members of League of Liberal Thammasat for Democracy and other supporters of the 14 detained |anti-coup students cheered in front of the Military Court yesterday morning. The court ordered the release of the 14 |yesterday.

ACADEMIC WARNS AS STUDENTS' RELEASE ORDERED

BANGKOK: -- THE 14 anti-coup student activists are due to be freed this morning (Wed) after the first round of pre-trial detention ended yesterday and the Military Court rejected a police request to hold them for further 12 days.

However, police will continue to investigate the students, who face charges of sedition and violating a National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ban on political gatherings of five or more people.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha called the court's move an act of mercy.

Analysts said the move was meant to ease growing pressure on the government, but more protests are expected. Some are already calling for the dropping of all charges against the students and the right to protest and publicly criticise the NCPO.

Prayut said the court granted mercy to the students so they should admit doing wrong, learn a lesson and not violate the ban again. Asked if he feared more moves on the streets after the students are released, the PM said it was up to those who want to protest and the students themselves.

"Is it right to think [that movement against the coup] is not wrong? Why can't you wait just a bit longer? Do you really want a new government tomorrow?" he asked.

Chiang Mai University law lecturer Kritpot Somanawat said the move would reduce pressure on the government but said more political moves were likely in the near future. He said the government would face more challenge to its claim of legitimacy and it was time for the government to find a way to exit from power, as it had been shown to not be adept in managing the country.

After about three hours of court deliberation, Kritsadang Nutcharas, head of the detainees' legal team, came out of the court and told reporters, who were not allowed inside, that the court had turned down the request by police to detain the activists for a further 12 days.

"At 10am, inquiry officers [from] Samranrat Police Station submitted a request [to the court] for another 12 days of pre-trial detention of the 14 students under the accusation of holding a political assembly in violation of NCPO's order and Article 116 of the Criminal Code.

"The Court interrogated the defendants and the lawyers. We objected, saying that there was no reason to detain the students any further," he said.

"The investigating officers insisted on requesting another round of pre-trial detention. [but] the Court took some time to deliberate and ordered that '[they] do not accept the request.'

International observers

"The meaning was that the 14 students will be released immediately," the lawyer said, in front of the court.

The hearing for pre-trial detention began at 9am yesterday. Only relatives, lawyers, and some international observers were allowed inside the court. The latter group included representatives of the European Union, Amnesty International as well as embassy officials from the United States, France, Canada and more.

Some 100 supporters and reporters were prohibited from entering the court and had to stay at the entrance where barricades were put to prevent them from getting inside.

Supporters of the students set up a temporary camp for stage activities in order to show solidarity with the detainees, while waiting for the hearing. Pigeon origami, symbolising freedom, and photos of the 14 were put on the barricades.

The supporters also sang to cheer the 14 activists. Other key members of New Democracy Movement [NMD], which the 14 belong to, took turns to speak with a microphone to promote their stance.

Late in the morning when news came that the Court had turned down the police request for further pre-trial detention, the supporters all cheered and clapped, visibly satisfied with the release of the activists.

However, in the afternoon, the legal team revealed that the students could not be set free yesterday as no release warrants had been issued by the court - so the existing order to detain the students was still in effect until midnight.

As a result, their release has been postponed until 8am today.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Anti-coup-protests-tipped-to-continue-30263991.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-08

For all the rigged polls saying there is still support for the coup and current administration, I can see past supporters starting to move over to the anti-coup side.

Many farang I know welcomed the coup last year, but the conversations are changing.

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha called the court's move an act of mercy."

Mercy hell, it's a weak attempt at saving face.

Besides, isn't this just supposed to be an interim government with the sole purpose of establishing a democratic republic?

+ 1 on the two posts above!

For all the rigged polls saying there is still support for the coup and current administration, I can see past supporters starting to move over to the anti-coup side.

Many farang I know welcomed the coup last year, but the conversations are changing.

Well it isn't important who is supported by farangs.

In the South the love Prayut......As it seems in North and Esaan is now full scale propaganda by Thaksin telling that Prayut eats children for breakfast.

Bangkok: I don't know someone has an idea?

Glad the students have been released, I hope that means that all charges have been dropped...

However, police will continue to investigate the students, who face charges of sedition and violating a National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ban on political gatherings of five or more people.

and I hope the government and military will continue to investigate the police.

Time for the the government to relax on peaceful protests.

The court says no reason to detain them any longer. Those words are the beginning of the end for the Thai junta. More and bigger protest will follow because now they know the junta will not give them prision terms. I just lost a lot of respect for the PM.. Now they see he is weak in this area they will hit him with

more protest then every before. Khun PM you just opened a big can of worm.

Do you really want a new government tomorrow?" he asked.

yes.

Yingluck, or her Sister, or that criminal in Dubai?

Or that handsum Abhisit who has as much clue as Yingluck?

Which one would you prefer?

The court says no reason to detain them any longer. Those words are the beginning of the end for the Thai junta. More and bigger protest will follow because now they know the junta will not give them prision terms. I just lost a lot of respect for the PM.. Now they see he is weak in this area they will hit him with

A few hundreds at maximum if the junta keeps blocking Thaksins money. Paid demonstrators costs a fortune and they check all bank accounts.

If you only pay 300 Baht per person for 1000 protesters, it is 300.000 + 20% internal corruption =360.000 + food 50 Baht=410.000 + some leaders???100.000 per day=510.000. + transportation

So half a Million per day.

For longer and more people the costs will increase way more than linear.

It is simple to block that money

Do you really want a new government tomorrow?" he asked.

yes.

Yingluck, or her Sister, or that criminal in Dubai?

Or that handsum Abhisit who has as much clue as Yingluck?

Just give the Thai people the choice. They might even choose the present incumbent.

Doesn't matter which one I prefer, but I'm thinking the majority of the Thai people will want the one who isn't trying to cancel the free universal health care.

In the South the love Prayut......As it seems in North and Esaan is now full scale propaganda by Thaksin telling that Prayut eats children for breakfast.

Of course in the South they have never been told lies, i.e.

Manoon joined the protests in Bangkok against Yingluck’s government that eventually led to the military takeover after protest leaders said getting rid of her would lead to higher rubber prices. Now, he says he and his friends feel betrayed.

“It’s like a broken promise,” he said. “They don’t care about us at all.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-21/happiness-eludes-thailand-s-divided-regions-as-farmers-struggle

Are you sure the 4 million Malay-Thais in the South LOVE Prayut? I'm sure the muslim insurgents would like to have a one-on-one townhall meeting with him. To show their love of course.

Yes, they love him so much they're killing his soldiers on a weekly basis!!

A few hundreds at maximum if the junta keeps blocking Thaksins money. Paid demonstrators costs a fortune and they check all bank accounts.

If you only pay 300 Baht per person for 1000 protesters, it is 300.000 + 20% internal corruption =360.000 + food 50 Baht=410.000 + some leaders???100.000 per day=510.000. + transportation

So half a Million per day.

For longer and more people the costs will increase way more than linear.

It is simple to block that money

Yes, it costs lots of money to support a cause, ask Suthep where did all the money go that he "collected" during the protests?

That's right, he was also paying people to be there...

20,000 posts, and as naive as they come...

Really? I live in Isaan and speak Isaan, I have not heard anything about Thaksin running any kind of propaganda here. Actually, I haven't as much as overheard the name being mentioned for a very long time.

Glad the students have been released, I hope that means that all charges have been dropped...

and I hope the government and military will continue to investigate the police.

Time for the the government to relax on peaceful protests.

nope. The release is because the police request for continued "pre-trial detention" was denied.... That's all.

Hate to say I told you so but I did. Now more than a year on people are getting restless with these dinosaurs. These protests will get bigger and bigger. I have already said we may have a repeat of Black May 1992.

I don't think even the most ardent of junta fanboys can say it is the bogie man in Dubai's doing anymore. Some people are tired of this heavy handed, elite serving government.

I hope there is no blood shed when the big protests start. But the Thai military don't exactly have a good history of dealing with protests. I keep wondering why some people think they are the heroes in this twisted show.

Maybe someone, but sure you don't have a clue who is supporting who .....