Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Good, because if that's true the "mafia: are digging there own graves.

The British press won't fear them in the slightest, and will go after them big time.

This is very disturbing, tweet just in from Jonathan Samuels:

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial

https://twitter.com/jonathansamuels

The mafia warning off the Thai translator for Sky News shows just how far they will go. Its little wonder that the defense have stated that important witnesses they have are too scared to testify.

But yes this will backfire on them and will only give the media more determination to report every chaotic aspect of this case, ie tell the truth no matter what the consequences. There are obviously some people who are in a state of fear that the truth will be revealed.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Hall made some time ago and kind of reinforces that

“It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared,” Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said. http://asiancorrespondent.com/128732/koh-tao-murder-suspects-issue-plea-for-witnesses-ahead-of-formal-charges/

Sounds like further Bull-shit from the Defense, which is what they want.

Andy Hall is not bias! He has stated his personal opinion on several links but without Evidence. He tries to sound neutral but makes mistakes. He makes a good living here without working! Unless someone can show me he is given money from his mother, and it comes from other sources.

A Gravy Train is just that! The smart ones know how to find it and pump it. The many dumb ones support it!

A Fact of Life! .

Now your having a go at the guy who is putting his neck on the line to help these two guys get a fair trial!.......

Are you for real?....

He who knows more about what is going on with this case then you me or any other person on here!........

I bet you are ok with people involved with the defense to be intimidated and threatened?.

If it was a clear cut case for the prosecution why worry about what the defence has?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defence lawyer tells us senior police officer claims DNA found on cigarettes at scene is "finished"

Finished? What does he mean by that, its gone, disappeared??? Thats so useful if its the case, no need for independent verification as we don't have it any more!!!

I suggest it means that there is no sample left to test. Therefore the only 'evidence' is the RTP's reported match, which cannot be contested.

How can it be a fair trial if the defense aren't able to see the evidence? If it doesn't exist anymore, who's to say they ever did?

The claim that the DNA has been all used up is extremely unlikely. It is standard procedure that a portion of every sample is saved for the exact reason that retests may be necessary.

It is also extremely incredible that the DNA was in such short supply that a portion could not be saved, but even if they are claiming this for the touch/trace DNA samples found on objects, this cannot possibly be true of DNA evidence from a rape, found inside a victim's body. This is not trace or touch DNA, but the richest source of DNA possible.

Without going into distasteful details, the normal amount collected from a rape victim would be enough for many hundreds, not tens or twenties, of separate tests. Any witness with forensic lab DNA experience hearing the claim that this particular DNA "is finished" will know instantly that this is a fraudulent claim. The only realistic way to prevent retesting of the rape DNA sample would be to claim it has been "lost".

Clearly, if the rape DNA matches the suspects, then proving that they were on the same beach as the victim by DNA from dropped objects becomes superfluous and irrelevant. It would not be possible to claim that subjects who left DNA inside a victim were not in the same place as the victim, therefore witnesses and dropped objects become absolutely unnecessary. The first ever person to be convicted in the UK using DNA evidence was convicted on the basis of testing 4000 people until they found a match to the DNA found on the rape victims.They did not feel the need to provide additional evidence that the criminal was in the same room as the victim and nor would any rational person.

So far this is looking very dodgy. A "lost DNA" claim would confirm that the trial outcome is pre-ordained. Reports that translators are being threatened by locals to prevent reporters recounting the evidence presented in the trial have been given prominence on British TV. This is an extremely unwise action by the perpetrators, and again, with a watertight case and good evidence why do they feel this unsubtle action is necessary? It's like they are sending up flares for international attention.

Edited by partington

The British press won't fear them in the slightest, and will go after them big time.

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial

The mafia warning off the Thai translator for Sky News shows just how far they will go. Its little wonder that the defense have stated that important witnesses they have are too scared to testify.

But yes this will backfire on them and will only give the media more determination to report every chaotic aspect of this case, ie tell the truth no matter what the consequences. There are obviously some people who are in a state of fear that the truth will be revealed.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Hall made some time ago and kind of reinforces that

“It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared,” Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said. http://asiancorrespondent.com/128732/koh-tao-murder-suspects-issue-plea-for-witnesses-ahead-of-formal-charges/

Andy Hall is not bias! He has stated his personal opinion on several links but without Evidence. He tries to sound neutral but makes mistakes. He makes a good living here without working! Unless someone can show me he is given money from his mother, and it comes from other sources.

A Gravy Train is just that! The smart ones know how to find it and pump it. The many dumb ones support it!

A Fact of Life! .

What is your vested interest that everything from the defense is bull shit but everything from the RTP is conclusive and undeniable evidence? Family member? Partner? Would give the rest of us a better understanding of your chosen POV.

To an overly nested comment above: I was not referring to speedboats. I was referring to the possibility that these crimes were committed by fellow tourists who were able to leave the island that morning on the scheduled ferry before any lockdown. I was not referring to the Immaculate Escape of everyone's favorite likely perp.

While your scenario is plausible, I suggest it's more likely that a few of the Thai football members who travelled to the island (if involved) left the scene early. I think it is unlikely that tourists would have committed this horrific crime.

Why do you say it's unlikely that tourists would have committed this crime?

If it's just your wild assumption then your comment has no meaning whatever.

This island is always full of young Brits, many of them boisterous and some even a bit immature and also from other countries, so I will make the suggestion that it's possible another boy took a fancy to the young lady now sadly passed away. It has been reported much earlier that the unfortunate couple had an argument earlier in the evening.

One the other hand, if you have specific reason to make your above statement then please share.

Presumably you haven't been following the case, so I will make a polite response to your accusatory post.

Because the DNA came from an Asian, which eliminates all White Caucasians and Africans and other non-Asian nationalities. While it is possible that Chinese or S Korea tourists committed the crime, IMO there's a greater logic (in percentage terms on that island) in assuming that Thais or Burmese were the perps.

Now you're up to speed.

DNA Testing is expensive and also very time consuming. I am sure they are backlogged in Thailand for other crimes, and just like they are where you live. So you can add me to the list that would say No, as with an Alibi like this, you are just wasting time and tax payers money. Especially when you already have a match from the 2 accused.

UK police DNA test everyone they arrest, I'm thinking, if it were expensive, they wouldn't do that.

As for DNA irregularities between UK police and Thai police evidence,

I'm thinking the UK DNA testing found no match with the Burmese boys.

The bodies were returned to the UK, would have thought the UK coroner would have kept a sample or two.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

To the overly-nested comments above:

No it is my opinion -- and only that -- that the crimes could have been committed by fellow travelers who had over-indulged in drugs and things got out-of-hand. And those fellow travelers then left the island on the early ferry before such exit from the island was blocked.

To an overly nested comment above: I was not referring to speedboats. I was referring to the possibility that these crimes were committed by fellow tourists who were able to leave the island that morning on the scheduled ferry before any lockdown. I was not referring to the Immaculate Escape of everyone's favorite likely perp.

While your scenario is plausible, I suggest it's more likely that a few of the Thai football members who travelled to the island (if involved) left the scene early. I think it is unlikely that tourists would have committed this horrific crime.

This island is always full of young Brits, many of them boisterous and some even a bit immature and also from other countries, so I will make the suggestion that it's possible another boy took a fancy to the young lady now sadly passed away. It has been reported much earlier that the unfortunate couple had an argument earlier in the evening.

One the other hand, if you have specific reason to make your above statement then please share.

Presumably you haven't been following the case, so I will make a polite response to your accusatory post.

Because the DNA came from an Asian, which eliminates all White Caucasians and Africans and other non-Asian nationalities. While it is possible that Chinese or S Korea tourists committed the crime, IMO there's a greater logic (in percentage terms on that island) in assuming that Thais or Burmese were the perps.

Now you're up to speed.

So you are saying the DNA is reliable in that it came from an Asian? Would that apply to a half Asian? I have never read that the DNA definitely came from an Asian and, if so, then only fellow travelers with such DNA would fit the scenario as above.

Edited by JLCrab

British backpacker murder trial in Thailand stalls over key DNA evidence
Critical forensic evidence not available to court on second day of trial of suspects accused of killing tourists Hannah
Oliver Holmes in Koh Samui

KOH SAMUI: -- A Thai court hearing the case of two Burmese men accused of murdering two British backpackers stalled on the second day of a three-month trial after a police officer failed to present what the defence says is key DNA evidence.

The head judge on a panel of three in a court on the tropical holiday-making island of Koh Samui said that he would rule on the matter on Thursday, when Police Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod, who is believed to hold evidence related to the case, would appear to testify.

But Nurod spent only a few minutes in the court, where he showed the judge of list of evidence exhibits.

This included the alleged murder weapon, a hoe, which was used to kill Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, from Jersey on Sairee beach on the nearby Koh Tao island on September 15.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/09/british-backpacker-trial-in-thailand-stalls-over-key-dna-evidence

-- The Guardian 2015-07-09

He's one for you..Can you tell me?! And it's been widely reported by UK reporters that witnesses and people having knowledge of this crime have been threatened and now only today it's been said that a interpreter has been threatened by Mafia..Can you please tell me..and think about it slowly!? ..why do think the Thai Mafia have any interest in a crime carried out by tourists...Take your time....

He's one for you..Can you tell me?! And it's been widely reported by UK reporters that witnesses and people having knowledge of this crime have been threatened and now only today it's been said that a interpreter has been threatened by Mafia..Can you please tell me..and think about it slowly!? ..why do think the Thai Mafia have any interest in a crime carried out by tourists...Take your time....

I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?

He left shortly after to recheck what other evidence was available. It was not immediately clear if DNA evidence, collected from sperm and cigarette found at the crime scene, would be provided to the defence.

Nurod appeared confused in court when asked to provide forensic evidence. He said the samples may have been destroyed.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/09/british-backpacker-trial-in-thailand-stalls-over-key-dna-evidence

So you are saying the DNA is reliable in that it came from an Asian? Would that apply to a half Asian? I have never read that the DNA definitely came from an Asian and, if so, then only fellow travelers with such DNA would fit the scenario as above.

Now you're up to speed.

Early days when the original police general eliminated Chris Ware because the DNA was reported as being Asian in origin. I would suggest on the basis of probability (and Occam's razor principle), it is more likely to be true. And if you read my post above I used the words 'likely' and 'unlikely' - I didn't dismiss the alternatives out of hand.

I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?

Your clutching at straws now...I say again..why would Thai Mafia have any interest about a crime committed by tourists..and warn off people..whether from Koh Tao Koh Samui or wherever...Mafia would stay well away as they don't need the hassle...

So much talk regarding the DNA testing, maybe the focus should be on how the DNA was obtained, by who, and the sequence of events handling etc. prior to testing?

well yes of course and I agree but the point I'm trying to understand is this -

Lets suppose for a moment that there is a knock at the door and you open it and there are police standing there who then proceed to arrest you for murder, there has to be a path that led them to come to your door, it is part of an investigative process that made them think you were implicated and also must follow certain legal procedures and will become part of the case if it ever gets to a court, this is before any DNA or questioning has taken place, in the west you need to have a very strong reason for knocking that door and implicating/questioning someone in connection with a murder, if procedure is not followed then you can forget the rest, many cases have been thrown out of court in the west because of procedural failure regardless of any evidence

so my question above - what led the Thai police to the door of these two accused ?

Could it have been the island's headman by any chance?

The Koh Samui mafia would probably rather see the scion of the Koh Tao clan convicted if he really did it 'cause, if he gets off for this one, he's bound to cause them more and maybe bigger trouble down the road

Critical forensic evidence not available to court on second day of trial of suspects accused of killing tourists Hannah

KOH SAMUI: -- A Thai court hearing the case of two Burmese men accused of murdering two British backpackers stalled on the second day of a three-month trial after a police officer failed to present what the defence says is key DNA evidence.

The head judge on a panel of three in a court on the tropical holiday-making island of Koh Samui said that he would rule on the matter on Thursday, when Police Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod, who is believed to hold evidence related to the case, would appear to testify.

But Nurod spent only a few minutes in the court, where he showed the judge of list of evidence exhibits.

This included the alleged murder weapon, a hoe, which was used to kill Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, from Jersey on Sairee beach on the nearby Koh Tao island on September 15.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/09/british-backpacker-trial-in-thailand-stalls-over-key-dna-evidence

So this DNA evidence which everyone has been speculating about and when the trial started would clarify that the B2 were guilty is not present.

He left shortly after to recheck what other evidence was available. It was not immediately clear if DNA evidence, collected from sperm and cigarette found at the crime scene, would be provided to the defence.

Nurod appeared confused in court when asked to provide forensic evidence. He said the samples may have been destroyed.

Are you F**king kidding me? Confused about forensic evidence? The samples may have been destroyed. It would be like a Monty Python sketch if the seriousness of these crimes were not relying on solid evidence. How RTP apologists can support them after this show of complete contempt for this crime and the lack of professionalism is beyond me!!

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on who committed this crime but i cant understand how anyone can side on evidence from this mickey mouse police force to decide the life of these 2 young men. Whether trough in competence or more sinister reasons this trail is a complete joke just like the investigation which preceded it.

Plus how true is it that the boy's DNA was actually found on the victims, we only have the polices own testimony to say it was ??
They were both in custody while the sham of an investigation was being carried out, it is quite possible DNA was taken from each of them during interrogation

& planted on the victims & sent for analysis !!

DNA can be planted at will just like fingerprints

Just a thought ??

A Fact of Life! .

Here's one fact of life for you. Your post has made me feel sick reading it. The last thing I'm going to do is respond to such a twisted statement because your mindset and mine are a million miles away. My only satisfaction is that it will stay that way. I've now put you on ignore, I suggest you do the same to me......

The Koh Samui mafia would probably rather see the scion of the Koh Tao clan convicted if he really did it 'cause, if he gets off for this one, he's bound to cause them more and maybe bigger trouble down the road

Then you have just confirmed what I'm saying..If one branch of the Mafia wants the other to get the blame there not going to get involved are they....No mate, you've lost this one..The only reason the Thai mafia are involved is because they are involved!! I'm sure you follow that rational..

So this DNA evidence which everyone has been speculating about and when the trial started would clarify that the B2 were guilty is not present.

Are you F**king kidding me? Confused about forensic evidence? The samples may have been destroyed. It would be like a Monty Python sketch if the seriousness of these crimes were not relying on solid evidence. How RTP apologists can support them after this show of complete contempt for this crime and the lack of professionalism is beyond me!!

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on who committed this crime but i cant understand how anyone can side on evidence from this mickey mouse police force to decide the life of these 2 young men. Whether trough in competence or more sinister reasons this trail is a complete joke just like the investigation which preceded it.

It is absolutely unbelievable, even by the Bib's lowly standards. Everything rests on the DNA evidence which seems to be the only evidence they have (no witnesses to the crime, very circumstantial evidence at best of David's phone found "near" the B2's residence). And now, they don't have this DNA evidence anymore??!!

And yet...... some posters still insist that the police have a rock solid case. I mean, how blind / blinkered / naive / gullible can one be? Even a poor Isaan rice farmer would be able to see it for the farce it is.

Or maybe a few Koh Tao mafia are on Samui taking a keen interest in threatening journalists, and intimidating potential witnesses.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/09/british-backpacker-trial-in-thailand-stalls-over-key-dna-evidence

<deleted> - ok did I actually read that correctly

This case is going to be dismissed, the problem with that is there will be no further investigation without this key evidence, and those that doubted this whole thing was a farce from the start now know the truth

Shocking - absolutely shocking

Or maybe a few Koh Tao mafia are on Samui taking a keen interest in threatening journalists, and intimidating potential witnesses.

Some of these correspondents have covered the Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Sudan. And now you're telling me they're being intimidated buy a bunch of former coconut farmers?

The S*** is slowly hitting the fan...The Sky reporter just to clarify said the translator working for them has been threatened and can not now help them..have listened to it live three times now..also a senior Police guy has said the initial DNA is not able to be tested as it isn't there anymore..or isn't enough to test left..how does that work?

Update, the S*** has well and truly hit the fan, the world is a witness, I cant believe what is being said by the RTP, they've lost the DNA!!!! Disgrace utter disgrace, we are talking about 2 high profile murders and the so called chain of evidence that should have been secure. This trial should now be stopped, how can it convict without the key evidence.

Day two of the Koh Tao murder trial

KOH SAMUI: -- Today the Koh Tao murder trial resumed for day two at the Samui Provincial Court. The defense lawyers acting for Zaw Lin and Wei Phyo acc
used of the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller remained concerned about the DNA evidence being used against their clients.

A decision was due to be made by the judge today as to whether independent DNA testing could be carried out. However a senior police officer today told the court that the DNA found on the cigarettes is “finished” and other samples were only suitable for one test or may have been lost.

In a dramatic development is now appears that evidence provided by the British authorities could prove the innocence of the two suspects. However the defense team were only able to confirm that recent significant information had been received from the UK that highlights important contradictions in the prosecution evidence they were not able to elaborate on what that evidence might be.

One witness was called to stand today, a 45 year old woman who was working on Koh Tao at the time of the murders. She recalled seeing some people playing guitar on the beach in the early hours of the morning of September the 15th 2014 but was not able to say with any degree of certainty who those people actually were.

The defendants looked tired in court today, yesterday’s hearing going on until 7-45pm meant there was nobody available to remove their shackles when they arrived back at the prison. Both said they had not been able to get much sleep and both men continue to deny having any involvement in the horrific murders of the two British backpackers.

The court hearing, that adjourned today at around 11am is due to be back in session at 9am tomorrow morning.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-07-09

Plus how true is it that the boy's DNA was actually found on the victims, we only have the polices own testimony to say it was ??

They were both in custody while the sham of an investigation was being carried out, it is quite possible DNA was taken from each of them during interrogation

& planted on the victims & sent for analysis !!

DNA can be planted at will just like fingerprints

Just a thought ??

yes police sent in a couple of bar girls to collect sperm samples -

DNA evidence in not just DNA, it will include all the associated body fluids of both the accused and the victim

One witness was called to stand today, a 45 year old woman who was working on Koh Tao at the time of the murders. She recalled seeing some people playing guitar on the beach in the early hours of the morning of September the 15th 2014 but was not able to say with any degree of certainty who those people actually were

This is a witness? Lets hope the other 40 or so they have are more information? I expect the next witness will be saying that they bought L&M cigarettes from them followed by a builder saying he left a hoe lying on Sairee beach. This is a complete farce!