Prajin delays taxi fare raise as survey shows taxi service still not satisfactory

webfact

Prajin delays taxi fare raise as survey shows taxi service still not satisfactory

8-7-2558-10-35-32-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry will delay the plan to raise taxi fare rates by 5% in the second phase as it earlier promised with taxi drivers in July as survey of customers’ satisfaction in taxi service has declined.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong stated that he would delay the plan to raise taxi fare in an effort not to burden general public.

The first round of fare increase was initially approved in September last year and the second phase of fare increase by 5% was initially set to start in July 2015, he said.

ACM Prajin said not only people’s cost of living has increased was a reason to delay the increase, but a survey showed that passengers’ satisfaction has dropped from 70 to 50 percent since the beginning of 2015.

However he said the delay was for further study and discussion and the answer would be given to disappointed taxi drivers by July 14.

Meanwhile Vitoon Naewpanich, president of the Network for Taxi Cooperatives who claimed to represent the taxi drivers in the call for higher taxi fares, said he would send letter to the Transport Minister today to urge the minister to keep his promise to increase taxi fare by another 5% in the second phase.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prajin-delays-taxi-fare-raise-as-survey-shows-taxi-service-still-not-satisfactory

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-08

Just raise the prices. They are stupidly cheap, and the service is no worse than most places in the world.

From Airport to central BKK for $7 is crazy. Even Laos is more expensive. They need to live as well, and are an integral part of Thai life.

Just raise the prices. They are stupidly cheap, and the service is no worse than most places in the world.

From Airport to central BKK for $7 is crazy. Even Laos is more expensive. They need to live as well, and are an integral part of Thai life.

Taxi drivers make much more money than other compareable jobs and the service in Thailand is the worst I know. And the gas is very cheap. Taxi driver whining that they make just 1500 Baht (=45000 per month, no income tax) when the minimum salary is 300 Baht.

Last time my parents went from the airport to central BKK:

"luggage big big, need taxi big, 750 baht"

Which is 22 USD and what someone over 70 after a long flight can do? Ripping off the weakest.

I doubt that it is just 7 USD if they turn on the meter (190 Baht +50 Baht no highway).

Taxi drivers make much more money than other compareable jobs and the service in Thailand is the worst I know. And the gas is very cheap. Taxi driver whining that they make just 1500 Baht (=45000 per month, no income tax) when the minimum salary is 300 Baht.

Which is 22 USD and what someone over 70 after a long flight can do? Ripping off the weakest.

I doubt that it is just 7 USD if they turn on the meter (190 Baht +50 Baht no highway).

I am sorry for your family's bad experience, but I don't know of many taxi drivers making 1,500 baht per day. They are doing unusually well if they gross this. However, as most are renting the cab (650 baht plus) and have to pay for fuel, they would be lucky to finish with 500 baht after a 12-hour shift. Admittedly no income tax to pay, but then no social security benefits either.

There will always be unscrupulous drivers looking to take advantage, same as any country.

I would of thought someone who has 20+K posts on here, and likes to comment on most subjects, that you would of been able to get your parents from A to B without being ripped off.

As someone else says, i am not sure where your figure of 1,500K per day comes from.

From the airport to Phrompong, it is not more than 200-230 baht outside of rush hour.

I am sorry for your family's bad experience, but I don't know of many taxi drivers making 1,500 baht per day. They are doing unusually well if they gross this. However, as most are renting the cab (650 baht plus) and have to pay for fuel, they would be lucky to finish with 500 baht after a 12-hour shift. Admittedly no income tax to pay, but then no social security benefits either.

I doubt that. A 45min -1 hour ride to the airport costs me 350-400 Baht.

say it is 350 Baht and 1 hour.

Considering the are half the time empty or sometimes stuck in the traffic jam

6x350= 2100 Baht (without tips)

-650 Baht for rent 1350 Baht

Say 350 Baht for the gas (rough estimate, might be wrong on that)

1000 Baht on the end of the day, considering a lot of tips they are easily at 1500 Baht if they are active and smart.

If they have a customer to Pattaya and charge them 2000-4000 Baht it may look much better.

Do you think at 500 Baht per day there would be so many taxis on the street?

I doubt that. A 45min -1 hour ride to the airport costs me 350-400 Baht.

say it is 350 Baht and 1 hour.

Considering the are half the time empty or sometimes stuck in the traffic jam

6x350= 2100 Baht (without tips)

-650 Baht for rent 1350 Baht

Say 350 Baht for the gas (rough estimate, might be wrong on that)

1000 Baht on the end of the day, considering a lot of tips they are easily at 1500 Baht if they are active and smart.

If they have a customer to Pattaya and charge them 2000-4000 Baht it may look much better.

Do you think at 500 Baht per day there would be so many taxis on the street?

This highlights one of the problems - no one actually knows how mush either the daily or monthly average salary is for a taxi driver? My own view is they must be make at least 1'000 a day for a 10 hour shift - 100 baht an hour after expenses would seem to be a very conservative estimate.

But it all seems like guess work - I'd like to see an official salary given for a months worth of taxi driving

"...but I don't know of many taxi drivers making 1,500 baht per day."

To put your comment into perspective how many taxi drivers do you know well enough to know what their earnings are?

Why compare to dollars.. probably to make a comparison with first world prices. Epic fail of course as the salaries are far lower here.

If you wan to make a comparison.. then make a comparison of how much unschooled labor makes in Thailand and how much a taxi driver makes to see if they make too much or not enough.

Those stupid comparisons with home country currency and services is crazy because the customers also make a lot less then in those countries (price levels)

Besides.. most clients are Thais on Thai salaries.

If anyones interested I found this on Richard Barrows blog from a couple of years ago using info derived from the BK post

Each taxi driver travelled about 300 kilometres per shift, an average of 12.9 kilometres per paying passenger. Each driver had an average 14 passenger trips per shift. The driver would be without a paying passenger for an average 40 per cent of each shift. A taxi driver took in an average of 1,330 per shift. When the cost of cab hire – an average of 600 baht per shift – and other costs were deducted, drivers were left with only an average 400 baht per day.

If anyones interested I found this on Richard Barrows blog from a couple of years ago using info derived from the BK post

Each taxi driver travelled about 300 kilometres per shift, an average of 12.9 kilometres per paying passenger. Each driver had an average 14 passenger trips per shift. The driver would be without a paying passenger for an average 40 per cent of each shift. A taxi driver took in an average of 1,330 per shift. When the cost of cab hire – an average of 600 baht per shift – and other costs were deducted, drivers were left with only an average 400 baht per day.

before you count the extra they squeeze and cheat from customers.

Especially those naive white folks who can't argue and don't know any better.

Not forgetting the bungs from those dodgy gem dealers and karaoke bars too.

Apart from that you mean.

There will always be unscrupulous drivers looking to take advantage, same as any country.

I would of thought someone who has 20+K posts on here, and likes to comment on most subjects, that you would of been able to get your parents from A to B without being ripped off.

As someone else says, i am not sure where your figure of 1,500K per day comes from.

From the airport to Phrompong, it is not more than 200-230 baht outside of rush hour.

You must get the lightning quick drivers.

Does your 200-230 baht include the airport surcharge, expressway tolls and tip?

Edited by Baerboxer

"ACM Prajin said not only peoples cost of living has increased was a reason to delay the increase, but a survey showed that passengers satisfaction has dropped from 70 to 50 percent since the beginning of 2015."

A: If there has been an increase in the cost of living then that must affect the taxi drivers as well.

B: I wonder who conducted a survey that gave a 70% satisfaction rating. Find that number hard to believe.

Edited by Bluespunk

DOes your figure take into consideration payment to owner for hire of taxi for the day and fuel for it? I doubt if it does

They will never be "satisfactory" compared to the most professional service in the world, namely the London taxi, but they're absurdly cheap for the quality they do offer, and they deserve a rise. And I say this as someone on a fixed income, and a declining one against inflation.

Is it not a positive that the Transport Minister is sticking to what was previously agreed and withholding a fare increase until passenger satisfaction improves.

Bangkok airport taxi's are cheaper than most countries (especially when catching a taxi from an airport)

What intrigues me is how much some TV posters are taking this personal, or is it the demand from taxi drivers for more money? I say good for them if they can get away with it, would we not all request/demand more money if we knew we would get it? If the government is weak enough to bow down to their demands then I don't think expat / holiday maker complaints will make a great deal of difference. The Thai's need to start complaining and shouting before anyone will sit up and take notice (wait for the road blocks to be set-up at the airport)

Personally I have no concerns with the increase(s) as long as I continue to be satisfied with the service provided, to date I've never had reason to complain (apart from taxi's on Phuket and Samui).

As a fair quantity of taxi driver wait all the day in front of some hotel and do nothing the active one must make good money.

Additionally we had 2 or 3 rise of taxi fare over the last couple of years and I think most taxis just lie.

So I stand by my guess that an active taxi driver can make 1000-1500 Baht on one day.

facepalm.gif

In response to the comment that 'Just raise the prices Taxis are dirt cheap'.

Yes, indeed they are for Westerners and the middle class and wealthy Thai but......

for someone earning the minimal wage of 300 Baht a day, as most are, a Taxi home after one of their 6 day weeks is out of the question.

They queue to get on those appalling uncomfortable buses with no A/C.

I would say the chance of hailing a GOOD Driver is about 50/50.......The good ones can be really superb but the rest are a PUTA!

They still only take you IF they want to and constantly refuse to!.

They also seeing a Westerner often quote a ridiculous amount about treble the meter cost.

Try the old tour of Bangkok when using the meter.....twice on route I crossed the same railway line 3 times....LOL!......When that happens I give the normal fare and no Tip ( I am usually generous in that way.)

So, the smart arse uses more time, more Gas and gets less money!

As to reporting them on that Hotline I tried twice and could not get it in English.

Oh and be careful at The Paragon Taxi Rank.....twice in 2 days I was unlucky to get an Unlicensed, Unmetered, No Number on the door inside, No Driver Photo and name......old decommissioned vehicles.

These rogue Taxis go to Paragon because they have No FOR HIRE light to put on so cannot cruise the roads!

The 2nd time I called the Taxi Queue official....wearing a Police cover but NOT Police but he just told the Taxi to go and me to get another...so not interested.

Another Black spot is at MBK which seems to attract the rogues.

Late at night the real villains emerge to tout at places like Nana and Patpong....that includes Tuk Tuk too.

There are bad Taxi Drivers in all countries but I think the proportion here is much higher than average.

Edited by English 1

Why compare to dollars.. probably to make a comparison with first world prices. Epic fail of course as the salaries are far lower here.

If you wan to make a comparison.. then make a comparison of how much unschooled labor makes in Thailand and how much a taxi driver makes to see if they make too much or not enough.

Those stupid comparisons with home country currency and services is crazy because the customers also make a lot less then in those countries (price levels)

Besides.. most clients are Thais on Thai salaries.

I compare it to dollars as i was referencing Laos where they state US dollars alongside the local currency when charging for things. (THB to) And thats 8 bucks for a 5 km journey.

Baerboxer- i was probably thinking about from Phrompong to the airport, so you could put the 50 baht surcharge on and its still about 300 baht, which for a 15km journey into a capital city is still dirt cheap.

As a fair quantity of taxi driver wait all the day in front of some hotel and do nothing the active one must make good money.

Additionally we had 2 or 3 rise of taxi fare over the last couple of years and I think most taxis just lie.

So I stand by my guess that an active taxi driver can make 1000-1500 Baht on one day.

Not they don't. A miniscule amount of the total number hover around hotels. So your 'guess' lacks in any logic or rational and based on your own naivety as they see you coming a mile off.

To put your comment into perspective how many taxi drivers do you know well enough to know what their earnings are?

My wife's best friend leases out several taxis and I have socialized with her drivers after their shifts are over for several years. For the most part they are decent people working hard to make a living. How many do you know?

@bangkokfrog. If they stopped refusing fares they could easily make 1500B or even more per day.

No they could not. Yesterday a friend of mine got a taxi from KSR to Phrompong which was 220 baht and took 90 mins at 3pm. Even if they were full 100% of the time, with no down time between fares they would find it difficult to make that in a shift.

My wife's best friend leases out several taxis and I have socialized with her drivers after their shifts are over for several years. For the most part they are decent people working hard to make a living. How many do you know?

The other specialist spoke about a 10 hour shift, you about 12 hour. Does it vary or is wrong one? (I would guess that all have the same regulations)

Don't you mean the taxis drivers are crazy. Unless I REALLY have to I will not use Bangkok taxis's - I value my life...

I know at least one. I can assure you they don't make 1,500 baht per day after all expenses (gasoline, 19,000 a month paying down the car loan etc.) are paid.

Two comments: 1 - taxi drivers might make more money if they didn't shake their head when you ask to go somewhere. 2 - if they can't make a reasonable living then they should get another job. There must be plenty around with what we are told is close to zero unemployment. Both solutions to their problem are hardly rocket science.

'... Vitoon Naewpanich ... who claimed to represent the taxi drivers in the call for higher taxi fares, said he would send letter to the Transport Minister today to urge the minister to keep his promise to increase taxi fare by another 5% in the second phase.' I trust he will receive a letter in return, reminding him of the link between any increase and service standards. What might work better, however, would be to implement the increase, then deny it to all drivers in the event of unacceptable service defaults by any of their number, naming and shaming the culprits who caused their mates to lose money.

I know at least one. I can assure you they don't make 1,500 baht per day after all expenses (gasoline, 19,000 a month paying down the car loan etc.) are paid.

Petrol (gasoline) is cheap, I doubt many pay 19,000 for a loan for a typical Toyota taxi (likely often leased, anyway) and for those who do - and who scam their way through their shifts - a couple of tourists screwed out of several hundred baht takes good care of that.