Fish and Chips (British Style)?

burnalot

bring back Charlies Fish and Chips now that was a dinning experience.

Fish & Chips is to "Dining Experience" like a quickie handjob in a car is to love making in a king size bed.

Though I do do love the occasional fish & chips.

T

You can eat fish & chips in the car at the same time. Not allowed in king sized bed wink.png

I call that Special Date Night. Splurging out on pay day. In more ways than one.

T

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hook of Holland ,a fish and chip stand out by the ship car park .Best fish and chips i ever had .A place in Muswell hill ,London come close .In Dublin ,Burdocks are the best .

Don't know if it would be acceptable to die-hard Brits; however, Duke's on Lamphun Road near the Nawarat Bridge does a reasonable fish and chips, no mushy peas. Huge serving, four pieces of battered fish on a lot of chips, 220 baht.

Haddock? Unless it's flown halfway around the world, I'd think someone is pulling your leg. It's a bit like barramundi in Melbourne, fresh is implausible, frozen far more likely.

I said in Lincoln which is in the UK for the haddock, no need to fly it to Lincoln ;-)

Don't know if it would be acceptable to die-hard Brits; however, Duke's on Lamphun Road near the Nawarat Bridge does a reasonable fish and chips, no mushy peas. Huge serving, four pieces of battered fish on a lot of chips, 220 baht.

Haddock? Unless it's flown halfway around the world, I'd think someone is pulling your leg. It's a bit like barramundi in Melbourne, fresh is implausible, frozen far more likely.

I have had the fish and chips at dukes. It is fish and it is chips but its not fish n' chips british style. It is ok but i wouldnt include it in a best fish n' chips in Chiang Mai list. Just my opinion though.

Noticed that Red Lion is no longer air conditioned..

Can we call this one as having joined the ranks of the 'Great in the Eighties' Chiang Mai establishments?

What has air conditioning got to do with 'fish & chips'?

Huh.. Fish and Chips clearly doesn't work in tropical temperatures.

Adding wind and nasty wet drizzle rain would be even better.

Duh. ;)

Hook of Holland ,a fish and chip stand out by the ship car park .Best fish and chips i ever had .A place in Muswell hill ,London come close .In Dublin ,Burdocks are the best .

Sounds great, but a bladdy long way to travel from Chiang Mai just for a takeaway.

Do you know if any of these fish and chip shops do deliveries?

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. :)

While talking to a guy in my moo ban about fish and chips he identified two nearby restaurants. One as being "British style" and the other being "Aussie style". I failed to get a clarification at the time so now I bring the question here. What specifically makes British style fish and chips? What is the difference between British style and Aussie Style?

I had to Google "mushy peas", and I'm still unclear. It looks like guacamole, but I gather the taste is somewhat different. They are made from what Wikipedia calls marrowfat peas, are those what are called English peas in the American south?

As for fish and chips, I'm happy with any place where I can count on getting fish that has far more fish than batter. I haven't found such a place, so I console myself with the many tasty ways that Thai people have found to prepare tilapia.

"I don't think that Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai are of exceptional quality."

Must agree.

Charlie's was the Standard, told he has since passed on. His Cook now works for Rob, Sausage King and does a reasonable F & C.

Kelly's was good but did he not move on after 'Splitting' with his wife ?

Toni at Yummy Pizza does 'Cod', just what origin of the cod is I do not know, it's OK but much depends on who cooks it. Genuine Beer Batter.

However I still agree with

"I don't think that Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai are of exceptional quality."

and Mushy Peas, don't make me laugh. Big difference between Mushy and Mashed.

john

Brought up as a kid on the stuff, back when it was a cheap working class meal.

bring back Charlies Fish and Chips now that was a dinning experience.

Fish & Chips is to "Dining Experience" like a quickie handjob in a car is to love making in a king size bed.

And yet the quickie vehicle-based engagements are somehow a lot more memorable.

Strange how that works.

As with fine dining, it's all about expectation.

Interesting - I'd always ranked those establishments in reverse. Though obviously the food cart behind sydenham-south station trumps them all, but then everybody knows that.

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

I don't think there would be enough trade to run a proper fish and chip shop here,

also finding some decent fish to fry would be difficult.and at this time of year potatoes

are also in short supply and expensive.

regards worgeordie

haddock,cod,beef dripping and maris pipers.DREAM ON.

re

I like the Gecko but the fish and chips would be very low on my list of reasons for visiting. To add insult to injury the miserably thin piece of fish is crumbed.

hes right sad.png

dave2

Oh, and I forgot to mention the pretty sad salad.

Are you stalking me Dave 2?

I'm pretty sure that the F&C at Gecko Garden is battered, because I don't like the stuff with breadcrumbs. That mean that Davis 2 supplied only costs about 100 baht. To me it is as good as elsewhere in CM, but less expensive.

Well, i had a great one in Brisbane about 43 years ago. It was my first one and the memory remains etched upon my heart.

Heard they eat a lot of shark in aus

Call it slate ?

rijit

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

I don't think there would be enough trade to run a proper fish and chip shop here,

also finding some decent fish to fry would be difficult.and at this time of year potatoes

are also in short supply and expensive.

regards worgeordie

haddock,cod,beef dripping and maris pipers.DREAM ON.
Without any effort Maris pipers make THE best chips

rijit

Well, i had a great one in Brisbane about 43 years ago. It was my first one and the memory remains etched upon my heart.

Heard they eat a lot of shark in aus

Call it slate ?

rijit

1. The vast majority of shark meat is sold as 'flake' in fish and chip shops. The name 'flake' only refers to two species of gummy shark according to the Australian Fish Name Standard - one species from Australia and one from New Zealand.
Edited by Nonghoycowboy

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. :)

While talking to a guy in my moo ban about fish and chips he identified two nearby restaurants. One as being "British style" and the other being "Aussie style". I failed to get a clarification at the time so now I bring the question here. What specifically makes British style fish and chips? What is the difference between British style and Aussie Style?

This may not answer the difference between those two restaurants but there is a big difference between a UK chip shop and an Australian one. In the UK its more basic, less choice, fish may be cod but theres no choice, its a battered fish and chips, salt and vinegar, wrapped in paper. An Australian fish and chip shop is a lot more sophisticated. Lots of types of fish and seafood on a big platter. You order what fish you want, they make it for you.

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. smile.png

This may not answer the difference between those two restaurants but there is a big difference between a UK chip shop and an Australian one. In the UK its more basic, less choice, fish may be cod but theres no choice, its a battered fish and chips, salt and vinegar, wrapped in paper. An Australian fish and chip shop is a lot more sophisticated. Lots of types of fish and seafood on a big platter. You order what fish you want, they make it for you.

Thanks! So its not about the preparation? I was thinking it had something to do with the kind of batter they used or something. I have seen the ones that are breaded and I dont care for those. I love a good battered fish and chips tho.

Not quite accurate a decent fish and chip shop in the uk will offer a choise of diferent fish basics are cod plaice haddock and rock salmon in diferent sizes with a choise of chip sizes. Fish can be cooked to order or there are generally some ready.

rijit

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. smile.png

Depends where you are: in W.A., there was always a huge selection of fish and also flake. But when I was in N.QLD, you had Hobson's Choice - just one type of fish only. I think it was Couta but not sure. Townsville shops almost always had Barramundi plus a few other choices.

Without a doubt, pay night in T'ville was "Fisherman's Basket". Couple of pieces of fish, battered prawns, scallops, fish fingers, chips, and a choice of beers or TAS cider! Order one serve at the pub as a counter lunch, and it took two to finish it off.

I had to Google "mushy peas", and I'm still unclear. It looks like guacamole, but I gather the taste is somewhat different. They are made from what Wikipedia calls marrowfat peas, are those what are called English peas in the American south?

It's pretty similar to a side of refried beans in American / Tex Mex cuisine. Just made from peas instead of beans.

Don't think it's crucial to have.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Depends where you are: in W.A., there was always a huge selection of fish and also flake. But when I was in N.QLD, you had Hobson's Choice - just one type of fish only. I think it was Couta but not sure. Townsville shops almost always had Barramundi plus a few other choices.

Without a doubt, pay night in T'ville was "Fisherman's Basket". Couple of pieces of fish, battered prawns, scallops, fish fingers, chips, and a choice of beers or TAS cider! Order one serve at the pub as a counter lunch, and it took two to finish it off.

My Aussie chip shop experience is from Melbourne. My UK chip shop experience is from Manchester and the North. I have never seen a choice of fish in Manchester, only once in a chip shop in the south in Bishops Stortford. The Melbourne chips shops were a complete shock actually but thats what travels all about finding out that the world is not the same as where you come from.

For more years then I can remember my old mate Ray has run the Offshore Bar in BKK.

He opened a Brit Style Fish & Chip shop next door.

His biggest problem was obtaining the correct type of Pea to make Mushy Peas.

BKK has so many types available but it took over a year to find Marrowfat peas, known by the public as mushy peas.

I am not a cook, let alone a Chef but for Mushy Peas, Marrowfat are required.

Cooking is somewhat similar to making Dahl beloved by Johnny Gurkha, they are boiled/cooked till they 'Breakdown' and become Mushy.

Fish Chips & Mushy Peas, so often a 'Tanner' mix where the food of my youth.

No Mushy in CM just mashed peas, many have tried and many are Trying.

john