Weird Bug - Dangerous?

So I've encountered a LOT of weird bugs since moving here. But today tops them all.

Today I killed 5 of these things (see photos) in rapid succession. Either they roam in packs or they've hatched from somewhere in the house.

Any idea what they are? Dangerous?

74SQfzf.jpg

5plYkCX.jpg

aNvg4Im.jpg

Edited by jasons

Its definitely not a pet and i would consider it dangerous. There is one very similar to the photo which leaves a purple violet stain when you squash it. Its supposed to have a terrible bite. All of these "1000 foots" are best avoided in Thailand. The bigger armour platted ones also have a painful bite that last a week.

Centipede or at least a cute little baby centipede.

Larger ones can inflict a bite that can be painful but they aren't deadly unless you are a small prey animal or invertebrate. They do wonders in the garden and earn't bad friends to have out there.

Its definitely not a pet and i would consider it dangerous. There is one very similar to the photo which leaves a purple violet stain when you squash it. Its supposed to have a terrible bite. All of these "1000 foots" are best avoided in Thailand. The bigger armour platted ones also have a painful bite that last a week.

The ones you are describing as 1000 foots are millipedes and the stain can irritate your skin. My youngest son has an allergic reaction to them...which we found out after he was playing with one as a toddler.

We have different definitions of cute.

So these things won't bite? I'm just a little worried because I've seen five all originating from the same place… makes me think they just hatched. *shivers*

Edited by jasons

So these things won't bite? I'm just a little worried because I've seen five all originating from the same place… makes me think they just hatched. *shivers*

They can bite when they get bigger but even then you aren't going to die from it unless you have an allergic reaction (unlikely). My sister in law was bitten on the torso a couple of years ago by one as she slept on the floor. It was approx 12 cm / 5" long and she got a painful lump and some redness around the site for a couple of days but it was far from lethal.

Scolopendra subspinipes

The one in your photo is just a baby. They lose the blue colour quickly and grow into one of the big ugly ones with darker brown body but still with orange/yellow legs.

Personally I find them the most hideous creatures I've ever seen. I was bitten once in Bangkok by a Pope's Pit Viper but I still find snakes much less repulsive than those awful things.

As already said, I'm told that you won't die from a bite but can be pretty painful.

Oh gross. I just looked that up. Well I hope the babies I haven't killed find a way to leave me in peace. I don't want to deal with them as they grow up.

Total kill count is at 10. Still can't figure out where they're coming from though…

Scolopendra subspinipes

The one in your photo is just a baby. They lose the blue colour quickly and grow into one of the big ugly ones with darker brown body but still with orange/yellow legs.

Personally I find them the most hideous creatures I've ever seen. I was bitten once in Bangkok by a Pope's Pit Viper but I still find snakes much less repulsive than those awful things.

As already said, I'm told that you won't die from a bite but can be pretty painful.

The look terrible but they eat cockroaches. Who kills cockroaches is my friend gigglem.gif

They can be real big and extreme fast, reaction speed must be at least double or triple from an human, seems be better than a snake.

Bite should be extreme painful. I only got bitten by a very very small one who most probably couldn't penetrate the skin fully. Pain wasn't much.

Unfortunately in a house the only choice is to kill it, I think not even superman could catch it and bring it safe outside.

Scolopendra subspinipes

The look terrible but they eat cockroaches. Who kills cockroaches is my friend gigglem.gif

They can be real big and extreme fast, reaction speed must be at least double or triple from an human, seems be better than a snake.

Bite should be extreme painful. I only got bitten by a very very small one who most probably couldn't penetrate the skin fully. Pain wasn't much.

Unfortunately in a house the only choice is to kill it, I think not even superman could catch it and bring it safe outside.

Yeah even as babies they're crazy fast. Especially once they sense you coming after them. Though the one in the photos I managed to catch for the photo op. He had his 15 minutes of fame before joining his brothers in the centi-afterlife.

Scolopendra subspinipes

I didn't know they ate cockroaches. That's good but still I can go to sleep knowing that their is a cockroach somewhere in the bedroom. One of those big mothers? No way!

The first time I ever saw one was when I was home alone one night. Had just had a shower, put on a kimono style dressing gown and lay in front of the TV. I felt something quite big but cold moving under my thigh. I had no idea what it was but guessed it wasn't gonna be good so I jumped up and pulled the kimono thing back as far as I could (sash was tied) and saw this huge thing that looked like it came from a scifi movie clinging to the inside. I jumped up and down squealing like a little girl (but actually a fat grown man) and luckily it fell off then sprinted under the couch so I didn't get bitten. I think that is what traumatised me towards those creatures.

Edited by thedemon

yes you have a recently hatched cenitpede nest nearby, these can grow quite large but even the little ones can have a painful bit.

the big ones can be excruciating, and even dangerous especially if you have allergies. secondary infections can also be quite nasty.

keep an eye out for them and dispatch them as you find them.

not to be confused with the harmless milipede

Can I get poison for them? I haven't seen any since this afternoon, total count is 12 dead and 2 got away. I think they might be coming from under the kitchen sink, but I can't get under there to take a look (don't really want to either). Are there centipede traps?

50–80?! Are you serious? Where's the rest of them?! Oh man. I really hope the hatch was outside the house and these are just the few who've wandered in. On the plus side, maybe they'll eat some of the other creepy crawlies I've been murdering lately. I swear I kill at least 5 bugs before breakfast every day.

Can I get poison for them? I haven't seen any since this afternoon, total count is 12 dead and 2 got away. I think they might be coming from under the kitchen sink, but I can't get under there to take a look (don't really want to either). Are there centipede traps?

Duck, not only clean your floor but kills them also, for me they come up the shower drain.. they get in the cracks in the tile joints, look out shake your towels before use even found big ones in my shower towel.

TACARBS not to be messed with,KILL KILL KILL you will see them after rain or spraying pesticide.

thai's are petrified of them and pets that are bitten rarely survive

a good size 13 sandal and a swift blow to the HEAD.does the trick.

Yes looks like a Takarp. I got bitten by a young one a few years ago. Felt like a red hot needle, followed by blinding headache and double vision. My daughter got bitten by one, had an alergic reaction and ended up in hospital.

They like damp places so look out for them in your shower and always shake out a towel before drying yourself.

Issan people sometimes put a dead one into a bottle of lao khow, the poison is said to give the drink extra kick.

Yes looks like a Takarp. I got bitten by a young one a few years ago. Felt like a red hot needle, followed by blinding headache and double vision. My daughter got bitten by one, had an alergic reaction and ended up in hospital.

They like damp places so look out for them in your shower and always shake out a towel before drying yourself.

Issan people sometimes put a dead one into a bottle of lao khow, the poison is said to give the drink extra kick.

my wife got bitten a long time ago and if she see's one an inch long in the garden she screams,put her in hospital,our beloved dog wont mess with them either.

i wish i could post photo's as i have one 12inches long in perfect condition who decided to go for a swim in our pond and drowned.

i once saw a farang put one in a bottle of brandy,supposed to be good for the spine.w00t.gif

While I use a great deal of energy to remove scorpions without harming them from my home, I kill the centipedes with the first sight.

I have been using a toilet bowl cleaning fluid to be fast an effective way to kill centipedes. It works much better and faster than bleach.

Oh gross. I just looked that up. Well I hope the babies I haven't killed find a way to leave me in peace. I don't want to deal with them as they grow up.

Total kill count is at 10. Still can't figure out where they're coming from though

Check under any stone slabs you have in the garden, if you have a garden, thats where I get them.

Scolopendra subspinipes

As far as I know they do not bite they sting from their rear end.

Jakep, horrible things. You can get an insecticide from most agricultural shops, usually 500ml dark brown bottle with clear foul smelling liquid (If you ask for a "general insecticide" as it kills anything that touches it (If I can find my old bottle I will send you a photo)

Dilute about 1 capful in 20 litres of water and then spray around the soil / concrete around your house. Once they touch it they will be lucky to make it to your front door, NOT SAFE WITH KIDS!!!!!

The Toktaws for some reason can digest these without a problem, we have a few around the house and I have seen a Toktaw gulp a 12" Jakep in one go.

The venom is injected via two pincers under the head, not the tail - beware they have a mouth just above the pincers that can give a nip that can draw blood. (I once caught a big old beast and pinned it down and clipped off its venom pincers - the wife ran away screaming when I pulled it out of my pocket and let it run around my head and chest - that got me some really strange "cred" - undeservedly)

Anyone think they are harmless is kidding themselves, family lost a pig that weighed about 150Kg from a bite from one of these - the pig keeled over and turned dark purple and died.

Kill them! Kill them all!!!!

Edited by Vogele123

Scolopendra subspinipes

As far as I know they do not bite they sting from their rear end.

Maybe pick it up by the head then and see what happens?