More than $100k raised for New Zealand man in coma in Thailand

webfact

More than $100k raised for Kiwi in coma in Thailand

WELLINGTON: -- The family of a Wellington man who has been put into a coma in Thailand have been humbled by over 960 people who have helped raise more than $108,000.

Paul Lupi was involved in a serious scooter accident in Phuket on Monday and remains in a coma at a Bangkok hospital where his father has travelled to join him.

A Give a Little page has been set up to help raise money to cover Paul's care. The page is also being used to warn others about the risks of not having travel insurance.

Full story: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/more-than-100k-raised-for-kiwi-in-coma-thailand-q00684.html

-- ONE news 2015-07-09

I see there charging him 6k $ a day so thats going to be gone in less than a fortnight :-(

I think that may be a misinterpretation. It says on the website "The cost involved is approximately $6,000 per night to stay in Thailand, on top of that are the costs for the necessary scans and potential surgery he may undergo.",

I see nothing on that site about a travel insurance warning BTW, and the amount raised is already over 118k at the moment.

I see there charging him 6k $ a day so thats going to be gone in less than a fortnight :-(

I think that may be a misinterpretation. It says on the website "The cost involved is approximately $6,000 per night to stay in Thailand, on top of that are the costs for the necessary scans and potential surgery he may undergo.",

I see nothing on that site about a travel insurance warning BTW, and the amount raised is already over 118k at the moment.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/70083368/former-marlborough-student-in-coma-after-thai-accident

From the above link:

"It cost $6000 per day to keep Paul in the hospital in Bangkok"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/70083368/former-marlborough-student-in-coma-after-thai-accident

From the above link:

"It cost $6000 per day to keep Paul in the hospital in Bangkok"

Yes, that is a news paper article, based on their own fundraiser. So sorry, their own fundraiser page mentions it differently, and I would trust that one over the interpretation from the journalist.

But it really does not matter very much how much it is, 5,000 or 5,500 or 6,000 for hospital care still is a lot. And don't forget they're going to need 90k to take him home.

Edited by stevenl

A reminder to all those without insurance

And a further reminder to those with travel insurance, but without a Thai licence.

Thai license is not relevant at all. The only thing that is possibly relevant, depending on the conditions in the insurance policy, is valid license or IDP.

A reminder to all those without insurance

And a further reminder to those with travel insurance, but without a Thai licence.

Thai license is not relevant at all. The only thing that is possibly relevant, depending on the conditions in the insurance policy, is valid license or IDP.

What about if someone has been in Thailand for more than 3 months?

Hence 'valid license'.

"Thai license is not relevant at all." - "Hence valid license."

So, are you saying, an expat can reside in Thailand, and drive / ride, using their home country licence, if for the same class of vehicle, for 5, possibly 10 years, because they have a "valid licence" from their home country?

Edited by NamKangMan

Hence 'valid license'.

So, are you saying, an expat can reside in Thailand, and drive / ride, using their home country licence, if for the same class of vehicle, for 5, possibly 10 years, because they have a "valid licence" from their home country?

God you are hard headed. That is not what I'm saying, I'm saying that to drive in Thailand a for Thailand valid license is required. There are many scenario's in which a home license is valid here and some where a home license is not valid here.

The criterium is valid license.

Hence 'valid license'.

So, are you saying, an expat can reside in Thailand, and drive / ride, using their home country licence, if for the

same class of vehicle, for 5, possibly 10 years, because they have a "valid licence" from their home country?

God you are hard headed. That is not what I'm saying, I'm saying that to drive in Thailand a for Thailand valid license is required. There are many scenario's in which a home license is valid here and some where a home license is not valid here.

The home license is not valid here without an IDP. Ur insurance company will not cover u. Doesn't matter if u have been here 2 weeks or 2 years.

Obviously a Thai licence is ok.

Hence 'valid license'.

So, are you saying, an expat can reside in Thailand, and drive / ride, using their home country licence, if for the

same class of vehicle, for 5, possibly 10 years, because they have a "valid licence" from their home country?

The home license is not valid here without an IDP. Ur insurance company will not cover u. Doesn't matter if u have been here 2 weeks or 2 years.

Obviously a Thai licence is ok.

Not correct. Home license is valid with a few provisions. There is no legal requirement for an IDP, but it can be helpful. Insurance requirements can differ from legal requirements, IDP for example is quite often required in insurance policy conditions.

Hence 'valid license'.

I suppose that you theoretically could do but if you look at your car insurance you will have to have a full Thai driving license after three months otherwise you are no longer insured

Just as important is to check that even if you have travel insurance that it covers you for riding whatever level of vehicle you hire - some specifically exclude motor bikes.

Also I am aghast at the cost if correct - 200,000 baht a day - is that standard in ICU?

How did they move him to Bangkok and how much did that cost?

They said he was initially in a 6 bed ward (Patong, Vachira Hospital?). Why not transfer him to the Phuket Bangkok Hospital where he could get the same level of treatment without the difficulties of travel to the capital?

(Cue the Bangkok-centric posters who think that is the only place to get proper medical care in the country)

Hence 'valid license'.

"Thai license is not relevant at all." - " and some where a home license is not valid here."

So, in the "some scenarios" where "a home licence is not valid here" - wouldn't that then make having a "Thai license" actually "relevant" to a travel insurance policy?

Edited by NamKangMan

Just as important is to check that even if you have travel insurance that it covers you for riding whatever level of vehicle you hire - some specifically exclude motor bikes.

Also I am aghast at the cost if correct - 200,000 baht a day - is that standard in ICU?

Me too topt, I thought that figure was extremely high!!!

How did they move him to Bangkok and how much did that cost?

They said he was initially in a 6 bed ward (Patong, Vachira Hospital?). Why not transfer him to the Phuket Bangkok Hospital where he could get the same level of treatment without the difficulties of travel to the capital?

(Cue the Bangkok-centric posters who think that is the only place to get proper medical care in the country)

Possibly a bigger ICU up in Bangkok.

They may have needed to free up a bed in ICU on Phuket.

Meanwhile in Thailand, farng members of the popular TV website were busy bashing the victim online......!!!!!

"Bashing" - really?

Maybe discussing the legalities of licensing and insurance may stop someone else from a similar fate and/or financial loss.

It cost $6000 per day to keep Paul in the hospital in Bangkok

Be interesting to see a breakdown of these daily charges. coffee1.gif

This from the link may explain;

"He's in a private hospital there now with a team of ten working on it....

EDIT..just released info..the guy is improving ...so money well spent, whatever the cost..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/70137425/kiwi-in-thai-hospital-now-breathing-on-his-own-donations-near-150k-goal

Edited by garryjohns