Gary Stevens: from Tottenham to Thailand’s Premier League

Gary Stevens: from Tottenham to Thailand’s Premier League

By John Duerden

Frustrated with the lack of managerial opportunities at home, the former England international headed east but has found life in the dugout challenging after getting the bullet at Army United.

“There used to be a football club over there,” said Keith Burkinshaw famously as he left Spurs in 1984.

One wonders what the Yorkshireman would make of his former player Gary Stevens being put on gardening leave by Army United in May after just eight games of the Thai Premier League season and then, with the team in fourth, put out to pasture permanently.

Just a few nights in Bangkok and such shabby treatment by a club nicknamed “The Gentlemen” would have humbled many a hard man but Stevens, appointed after the end of the 2014 season, stayed positive, stuck around and sealed a new deal with Port FC the following month in June.

It may mean swapping a potential title challenge for a relegation dogfight but, when the bullet comes from the country’s military club, there’s not much you can do.

“I’ve got the letter here and the official reason was due to poor on-pitch performances,” Stevens says. “After five games we had won four and drawn one. We lost games six, seven and eight, won nine and 10 with a temporary coach and we were fourth in the league.

Never ever quite forgave those absolute thuggish <deleted> that passed themselves of as a football team Wimbledon for busting him up real bad at the lane, it happened almost in front of me and i;ve still got the image of that <deleted> jones and that bigot <deleted> fashanu standing over him almost snarling in pleasure b4 he was carried off, think it was his second injury but he was never quite the same player again