Turkey condemns Thailand's repatriation of Uighurs to China

webfact

UIGHUR MIGRANTS
Turkey condemns Thailand's repatriation of Uighurs to China

The Nation, Agencies

BANGKOK: -- Turkey's Foreign Ministry has condemned Thailand's decision to send more than 100 Uighur migrants back to China, saying the practice violates international humanitarian laws.

In a statement released on its website on Thursday, the ministry said the move came despite "numerous initiatives" by Turkey to prevent their repatriation.

"Turkey has learned with great sadness that 115 Uighur Turks sent to a third country despite their own will and desire," it said.

However the ministry failed to mention about the Turkish protesters’ attack on the Thai honorary consulate in Istanbul. The protesters smashed windows and ransack parts of the building, in protest of Bangkok’s expulsion of nearly 100 Uighur Muslims back to China.

The statement said non-refoulement, i.e., the principle of not expelling persons who have the right to be recognized as refugees, is an international law principle that concerns not only migrants but also anyone who faces the risk of either torture or the violation of their right to life.

"We condemn the Thai government’s practice that is against international human rights law, despite our many initiatives in regard to Thailand and related international institutions," Ankara said.

The Turkish ministry added that it will continue to monitor the fate of the Uighurs.

China’s treatment of its Turkic language-speaking Uighur minority in the Xinjiang region, commonly known in Turkey as East Turkistan, is a sensitive issue in Turkey and has strained bilateral ties ahead of a planned visit to Beijing this month by Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Many Turks see themselves as sharing a common cultural and religious heritage with their Uighur "brothers," and Turkey is home to a large Uighur diaspora.

Beijing denies restricting the Uighurs’ religious freedoms and blames Uighurs for a rise in violent attacks in its western Xinjiang region in the past three years in which hundreds have died.

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of Uighurs have fled unrest in China’s western Xinjiang region, where hundreds of people have been killed, prompting a crackdown by Chinese authorities. They have traveled clandestinely through southeastern Asia to Turkey. China is home to about 20 million Muslims spread across its vast territory, only a small portion of who are Uighur.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Turkey-condemns-Thailands-repatriation-of-Uighurs--30264167.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-10

International convention is that refugees can be forwarded to a third country provided that country is a safe place ( Haven ) for them to go , in this case the Third party is China , which is not a safe place for Uighurs, one would have thought Turkey would have intervened and requested Thailand to send them to Turkey. Turkey may also apply to the Chinese Government to repatriate them to Turkey, Enough said. coffee1.gif

International convention is that refugees can be forwarded to a third country provided that country is a safe place ( Haven ) for them to go , in this case the Third party is China , which is not a safe place for Uighurs, one would have thought Turkey would have intervened and requested Thailand to send them to Turkey. Turkey may also apply to the Chinese Government to repatriate them to Turkey, Enough said. coffee1.gif

It appears Turkey did ask Thailand to send them to Turkey, but they were sent back to China anyway.

Edited by FloridaExport

The Kho Tao farce, Junta ruling, marshal law, denying press freedom and freedom of speech, arresting peaceful protesters, human trafficking, slave labor, pending red card for the fishing industry, highest numbers of tourist deaths from several countries, one of the highest traffic death rates in the world, bad record regarding air safety and now the Uighur deportation. With such a bad reputation, even the Vatican would have to turn to China to find a single “friend”.

In response to Barin the human rights expert: Don't make whiny phone calls to your embassy or the HRW after you accidentally took a photo of a bridge or post office in North Korea, Algeria or any other banana republic.

I suggest that Turkey should mind its own business.

This is a matter of China and Thailand.

I think the Uighurs are involved in the matter also, don't you?

My understanding is that Uighuria is a part of China, not a part of Turkey.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The UK, like the mugs we are, would have let them stay despite them being involved in terrorism involving murder in China. Uighurs are Muslim and I reckon Thailand has enough problems with it's own.

Edited by jesimps

That's exactly what Turkey did.

Yes part of China, just in the same way Tibet is!

I think you'll find its an area where the people who have lived there for generations are watching their culture destroyed and find themselves being economically disadvantaged by a state they consider an occupying force.

Edited by Bluespunk

I think you'll find its an area where the people who have lived there for generations are watching their culture destroyed and find themselves being economically disadvantaged by a state they consider an occupying force.

Does America support Uighur separatists?

An article published on April 18, 2007 discussed the diplomatic problem posed by finding a new home for the Uyghurs in detail. The article quotes their lawyer, Sabin Willett:

"No country will take them because either they've read all the newspapers printing claims by U.S. authorities that Guantanamo is a place where the worst of the worst are being held, and they believe that it's true, or, these countries say, 'Well if these guys are innocent, then why don't you, the United States, take them? Why won't you take them if they're not bad guys?'

"And the U.S. doesn't really have a good answer for that."

Source: WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Edited by Barin

Bit like Scotland then? wink.png

yes you are right, however the Turkish call that area in China East Turkistan, because of same religion and same LANGUAGE.

Obviously it suits a military government to deporte asylum seekers. LOS

Some would call it East Turkistan. Even the Uyghur DNA proves they are not Chinese.

Whenever there is a polarizing post about China the 50 Cent Party (Mu Mao Dang) will be present "guiding" the direction of the thread to semi-logical fallacies essential to the Chinese official propaganda. You can Google it.

Thailand has enough problems in the south without adding to the problem.

Australia adopts the same attitude.

Sorry but this is no business of Turkey which is thousands of miles away.

Thailand has enough problems in the south without adding to the problem.

Australia adopts the same attitude.

Sorry but this is no business of Turkey which is thousands of miles away.

Australia's policy is not not to deport refugees back to where they are likely to suffer reprisals i.e. non-refoulment. However, there are examples where the policy has been breached.

The Uighurs are ethically Turkic, so the Turkish government is offering them support, as it has done for two million refugees fleeing conflict zones in the M.E. What is not explained is why this particular group were deported to PRC, whilst others were permitted to accept refuge in Turkey.