Thank You Michelin!

Vogele123

I am not really a biking person, never allowed a bike when I was a kid, I sort of took it up for a bit of fun here a few years back. Rode off and on but nothing seriously.

Back end of last year I bought a second hand CBR 250R ABS, nice bike, a little different for me to learn on, I had previously ridden off road bikes here and there.

Nice bike but it always had what felt like "hesitation" in making a turn, not sure if it was me or the bike.

It had the IRC Road Winners fitted, 120/70/17 and 140/70/17, the rear tyre was really unevenly worn, it looked like the rear wheel had not been lined up correctly or the previous owner had only made left turns.

Well, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Street Radials, 150/60/17 and 120/70/17 and had them fitted today by Niyom Panich, needless to say they fitted them in the usual style - 35PSI in the rear instead of 29, 20 PSI in the front instead of 29. No wheel balancing and even left the old weights on.

But, despite all of that, my GOD it is like a new bike! It is cornering bends at 90 that I was crapping at 50, it has completely changed this bike to the point that it feels like a totally different machine, absolutely unbelievable.

So anyone out there that is a bit of an old fart, and pretty new to bikes, go treat yourself to a new set of tyres, you will be amazed at the difference, I can't wait to get on it again tomorrow. (The IRC tyres had a huge flat spot on the rear, and were well worn for left tuns but very "Abrupty " worn for right turns, a bit unnerving when you are pretty new to bikes, no symmetry.

The Michelins feel like glue on the road, never felt anything like it - and if anyone wants to find a good place to buy (Niyom In Chiang Mai had never seen them before) look up "29tire" on google, they provide great service and cheap shipping from BK.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the IRC tyres are junk, but you are indeed correct that they are NOT GOOD in the wet. I think the biggest problem with the IRC's on my bike was that the rear wheel had not been adjusted correctly.

Now, here come a question for any experienced bikers out there.

The Honda came with IRC Road Winners, they were balanced with two big chunks of lead on the rear and one big chunk on the front.

It is obvious that Niyom have no balancing machine and have simply fitted the new tyres and left the old weights.

What would you do? Would you remove the old weights and see how it handles or simply leave alone? I have had it up to 145 and there is no vibration as it is, but would you chance removing the weights and giving it a go with no lead? I can mark the wheels and put them back if needed, but do you think it would be better to just take the balance weights off and give it a go?

Cheers

If no vibration I would leave the weights on for now, you can normally fell if they are out of balance.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/sep28-05-how-to-balance-your-wheels

Yes the tires are your contact points to the road and are therefore the most important items on the to have 100% in order and check for correct tire pressures, so spending money here is one of the smartest thing you can do for safer riding.

Buy Dynabeads from Chiangrai Saddlebgs and ditch the lead weights.

I saw Dynabeads recently and at first I thought they might be the ideal answer, until I saw this video on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlA9BSDF_8

They began to clog on the tyre inside walls and made a real mess!

As a couple of posters have said, no vibration, then I am leaving well alone. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Dynabeads recently and at first I thought they might be the ideal answer, until I saw this video on Youtube!

As a couple of posters have said, no vibration, then I am leaving well alone. Cheers.

Thanks for the video link.

It illustrates that even a good thing can be <deleted>-up given sufficient stupidity.

Thanks for the video link.

It illustrates that even a good thing can be <deleted>-up given sufficient stupidity.

The principal behind the beads is pretty smart, but in reality, especially here in Thailand you would just need water or some junk in an air hose to contaminate the inner walls of your tyre. I myself would have ruined Dynabeads, I use an old fridge compressor at a push to inflate the tyres. The thing is, the compressor can suddenly and unknowingly spurt out some oil. (Yes, I have stopped using it) maybe it would be just as good to throw a dozen marbles into the tyre? Same principal, just a bit heavier.

J.,

North on Suk past pattaya Bankok hosp, on the left (west) just before 3240 junction.

Pattaya Tires, a.k.a. MAXXIS for the prominent red sign above.

They are good there. Used em for the 4 years I lived in Pattaya.

I don't know how long a PCX tyre should last....but the Michy I put on the back is running out of tread for straight running after 17,000 Km.

Edited by BSJ