tourist numbers definitely up ..................

prk888

but as Stickman in this week's journal succinctly (in my view) writes ............

"The government says tourism numbers are at their highest. Yes, they are, but it's the low-class, low-spending, low-educated and socially inept from China spending their meagre funds in businesses owned and operated by the Chinese government"

from what I experience here in Pattaya that's spot on.

And their coaches continue to proliferate, spew pollution, are driven by suicidal maniacs and are destroying the roads.

There's a lot to be said in favour of Chinese tourists. They dont go anywhere that I go. They dont live in my condo building. They dont get drunk and belligerent. They dont cause long queues at the supermarket. And the best one is that they leave after a day or two.

According to news reports, possibly having their origin in the government, the average Chinese spends more per day in Thailand than the average Euro-tourist. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

It's based on a very bad survey done at the airport.

Just think about it for two seconds, they say average Chinese spends 5500 baht per day. As you have probably noticed they are mainly family groups, so lets say 4 people per unit. That's over 20,000 per day per family. 140,000 per week....Yeah, sure, right, they are spending that

To put numbers in perspective: Chinese upper middle-class households have income of about $16,000 to $34,000 USD per annum, so they are claiming they are spending 11% to 25% of their total annual income per week.

Edited by Lashay

Considering the weakness of the AUD & Euro I would think almost any other nationalities are spending more. Tourists only have a certain amount to spend and when their currency has devalued 25% they effecivly spend 25% less.

There's a lot to be said in favour of Chinese tourists. They dont go anywhere that I go. They dont live in my condo building. They dont get drunk and belligerent. They dont cause long queues at the supermarket. And the best one is that they leave after a day or two.

..only to be replaced by more two day wonders. Popular Bangkok newspaper today quotes Chinese tour managers are demanding 40% less room charges, in financial section,whole range of negative outlook too.

Better avoid Naklua Rd then hordes of 'em looking,looking,no spending