A TV debate between Prayut, Yingluck and Abhisit?

webfact

THAI TALK
A TV debate between Prayut, Yingluck and Abhisit?

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- It's not likely to happen, but wouldn't it be interesting if someone could get Premier Prayut Chan-o-cha and his two predecessors - Yingluck Shinawatra and Abhisit Vejjajiva - to appear together on the same TV programme to discuss Thailand's future?

They wouldn't even need a TV anchor. Instead, each could take turns posing questions to the other two.

In fact, General Prayut has indicated that he might be interested in a job as a reporter once he steps down from the "tiger's back".

He was, perhaps, teasing. But then, he could also have been serious when he taunted reporters last week in one of his daily sparring sessions with the Government House beat. He was discussing the government's project to invite politicians to air their views on Channels 11 and 5, when he exclaimed:

"You reporters don't really get it. The people invited onto the programmes include former government figures, National Reform Council members and non-government personalities. You may or may not watch [this programme, but] these people will be in the government in the future. You should listen to them so that you can determine whether they are saying the right things or not ... whether what they say can be implemented or not … whether they were involved in causing damage or not. But if you post big headlines without watching, then I can do a better job as a reporter than you people. I might quit as prime minister to become a reporter. I will beat you all. I can write much more interesting stuff. Mind you, I am not insulting you guys…"

The premier's threat to switch careers is, perhaps, even more frightening for the country's media professionals than the pressure on editors and columnists, or veiled censorship.

Much more serious, though, is the possibility that the reporters might have missed a really big scoop.

Who knows, Prayut may have been quietly making another major surprise political move (the first one took place on May 22 last year) by getting the little-known Centre for Reconciliation and Reform to put opposing politicians and commentators together on TV to exchange views. And the ever-watchful media people haven't even taken note of that significant event.

Keen observers have every reason to speculate that the premier might be up to something highly significant. For the first time since the coup, Prayut was opening up public space for the two former premiers.

"I don't know whether they [Yingluck and Abhisit] will come or not. Do they have the courage to come? Please, go and ask them. You can write stories asking them that question. You guys are ready to write critical things about me, but you don't have the guts to touch the others," Prayut said.

Clearly, he was challenging both the press and the key political figures on both sides of the fence to come forward and make their views known.

After this new and interesting twist, no one should be shocked if the political arena is awash again with rumours that the premier might be moving towards promoting a "national reconciliation government" that will comprise politicians of all shades and colours.

In fact, there have been suggestions from certain quarters that the concept of a national unity government might be incorporated in a comprehensive package that forms the backbone of a revised road map.

What if the new constitution contains a "provisional clause" spelling out the formation of a national reconciliation government to take over from the current interim administration under the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) before the next general election is held?

What if a compromise can be struck among all the political groups and civil society for a to return to parliamentary democracy with an agenda and timetable that is acceptable to most of the parties concerned?

There is nothing concrete about this proposition so far. But there is also a general belief that if no "common understanding" is reached among all the political groups in advance, the post-election scenario will be just a return to more chaos. As things stand today, there seems to be sufficient evidence to compel all sides to consider a solution that is based on reconciliation rather than the resumption of an all-out political free-for-all.

In the unlikely event that Prayut, Yingluck and Abhisit do agree to go on TV together, that should be one of the main questions raised.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/A-TV-debate-between-Prayut-Yingluck-and-Abhisit--30264507.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be painful to watch. Abhisit is in a different weight class intellectually and diplomatically.

Yingluck would just look silly. No comment about the other in case I have the BIB at my door 5 am tomorrow.

Knock Knock, someone order a large portion ofAA ;-)

I really don't like Abbisith and all he stands for, but that debate would be like shooting fish in a barrel for him, since he is the only one of these 3, who actually would have to say anything of political substance and could back it up with "knowledge"!

It would be painful to watch. Abhisit is in a different weight class intellectually and diplomatically.

Yingluck would just look silly. No comment about the other in case I have the BIB at my door 5 am tomorrow.

That is one way to look at it. Abhisit looks and sounds the part, Mr Reasonable with a public school accent. But who/what is behind the expensive suit and the soft words? His schoolmates might have had good cause to call him "veggie"( in addition to the name play).

As a politician, Abhisit would make a good analyst, he should step aside and offer advice and assistance. He is able and smart, but nobody is going to vote for him. What would be the point of the Democratic party going forward with him as leader? While political "stability" is being established, this is the time for parties to develop policies and practices that will help them and the country once elections are called. The Democrats could advance their popularity with voters in the North by showing an understanding for their problems. The opposition, whoever they may be, could demonstrate a practical understanding of political reality, and cut ties with the Shinawatra clan. The parties should look to the good of Thailand, what a nice change that would be.

That is one way to look at it. Abhisit looks and sounds the part, Mr Reasonable with a public school accent. But who/what is behind the expensive suit and the soft words? His schoolmates might have had good cause to call him "veggie"( in addition to the name play).

I remember reading a Time Magazine article on him before he was in the main spotlight.....reading the interview and his words, I picked that he would one day be PM. He came across as smart and well-intentioned.

A few months ago, he spoke at my wife's school. She was very impressed at his Thai. She said he spoke Thai very well....that might sound like a strange thing to say by a Thai about a Thai, but think of Winston Churchill speaking and then George Bush. Many politicians in Thailand can be compared to Bush...Abhisit is not one of them.

Never happen YL and Prayut would not stand a chance.

Credit where it is due....at least YL knows she wouldn't have a hope.

Depends,

Would Yingluck be allowed to 'phone a friend'?

I was actually making a more pointed statement...and it wasn't at YL. wink.png

Doubt Prayuth will eat humble pie to have the debate. That's an admission that he and the coup were failures. If he done this early from the beginning, it would mean a whole lot different. Of course Ahbisit will attend but he really has lose his credibility by twice boycotting elections. He is part of the problem,not solution. Yingluck must stay away from this hypocrisy and remain the only person mandated by the people against the other 2 who do not have the legitimacy from the people.

I really don't like Abbisith and all he stands for, but that debate would be like shooting fish in a barrel for him, since he is the only one of these 3, who actually would have to say anything of political substance and could back it up with "knowledge"!

Not forgetting he is a Geordie.

I admire your well thoughtout posts,yes you are right as I think he is a product of the establishment,just like the UK ( where he was educated ).It would be nice to see a bit of humour in your posts,no malice intended.

I can imagine that Prayut would want to make the first opening statement:

"I can have you both executed - just kidding!"

Then follows one hour of platitudes for Prayut from both Yingluck and Abhisit.

Not really a debate is it?

I personally like Abhisit and everything he stands for. One of the only honest politicians in this country. He is the hope for Thailands future. I wonder why you dislike him.

Despite the misogynistic rantings of some here, my feeling is that Yingluck would mop the floor with both of them. All have had an opportunity to govern, but only YL has been effective, and only YL has actually business experience. Sometimes substance really does matter.

Edited by In Town

I personally like Abhisit and everything he stands for. One of the only honest politicians in this country. He is the hope for Thailands future. I wonder why you dislike him.

weak and ineffectual for starters? I liked him at first until he ran an unelected government for 2 years and achieved ZERO. Then he complained bitterly everyday after he lost the election and then he boycotted the next election, supported Suthep and a DEAFENING silence on the military coup.

Edited by LannaGuy

" and achieved by ZERO "

not really;

officially 91 dead

unofficially more than 700 dead

and some collaterals damage with the fall due to the ghosts of two military helicopters in Kanchanaburi province

Edited by Assurancetourix

When he took over and had that infamous CNN- interview, I was more than willing to give him a chance.

He f.e. said, that the LM- laws would have to been talked about...

Hot air, was all he produced!

I worded it wrong, maybe!

It's not only WHAT he stands for, but WHO he stands for...

If he hasn't taken too much 'ear medicine', Pol. Capt. Chalerm could give Khun Abhisit a good debate.

The only way Yingluck would have any chance at giving as good as she got would be if they rigged her up to a mobile phone connected to Lord Valdemort na Dubai, himself, so he could hear the questions and then feed her the rebuttal through her blue tooth ear-bud (Buddha help her if she lost connection).

Since she never debated in the run up to the 2011 election, and never once joined in any of the debates in Parliament, it is ludicrous to think she would participate in any televised debate now.

I would like to see Abhisit ask Prayut some inconvenient questions, though; just to watch him squirm trying to wriggle out of giving a direct answer. I'll bet the PM has almost zero debating skills since the boss never has to debate his juniors.

Despite the misogynistic rantings of some here, my feeling is that Yingluck would mop the floor with both of them. All have had an opportunity to govern, but only YL has been effective, and only YL has actually business experience. Sometimes substance really does matter.

post-170405-14370204292235_thumb.jpg