Thai court orders confiscation of teenager's car for sudden crisscross and zigzag driving

webfact

Court orders confiscation of red Yaris of a teenager for sudden crisscross and zigzag driving

17-7-2558-11-25-33-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A motorist who drove a red "Yaris" sedan in sudden crisscross and zigzag and later caused accident on following vehicles was yesterday sentenced by the Minburi provincial court to pay a 500 baht fine.

But what this teenager motorist did not expected was that not only his driving licence will be suspended for six months, his sedan was ordered confiscated by the court.

The motorist was caught in a video clip that was later widely shared on the social network and stirred prompt reaction by the police to use as evidence to trace and apprehend him for court trial.

The driver Chatree Linkun, 26, was arrested and sued in the Minburi provincial court.

According to Bang Chan police, Chatree drove a red Toyota Yaris bearing registration plate No 2 Kor Chor 1098 that caused a major traffic accident on the inbound route of Ramindra road leading towards Lak Si on the outskirts of Bangkok on July 9.

His sudden crisscross and zigzag driving later caused accident that involved a motorist and a motorcyclist. They sustained several injuries.

The recorded video clip showing Chatree veering dangerously left and right across several lanes was posted on the social media and prompted police action.

At yesterday ruling, the magistrate judged that Chatree Linkun was guilty of reckless driving and of injuring other road users.

He was fined 500 Baht and have his driver’s license suspended for six months.

But it wasn’t enough for his dangerous driving, his vehicle was also ordered confiscated.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Chaiphon Chatchaidej, the deputy spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department in an interview commented that the incident serves as a warning to all motorists of the dangers of reckless driving which on top of incurring legal repercussions can on many instances cause injuries or even fatalities.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/court-orders-confiscation-of-red-yaris-of-a-teenager-for-sudden-crisscross-and-zigzag-driving

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-17

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pol. Maj. Gen. Chaiphon Chatchaidej, the deputy spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department in an interview commented that the incident serves as a warning to all motorists of the dangers of reckless driving which on top of incurring legal repercussions can on many instances cause injuries or even fatalities."

All motorists except ranked police officers, I think he meant to say. I mean, after all, it has been publicly announced elsewhere, hasn't it?

and only a 500 baht fine, great that they took his licence and confiscated thew car but after causing 2 accidents and driving like an idiot only 500 baht, what a joke. When will a magistrate have the balls to actually fine these morons many thousands of baht so that they start to think about never doing it again. Can only hope the car is not returned after a few days.

I recently witnessed some little prick on a motorcycle doing the exact same thing on a busy narrow road near me. He'd been slowing down all traffic flow. I'd have overtaken him and accidentally reversed over his bike. Preferably with him on it. I've given up driving here ..

I recently witnessed some little prick on a motorcycle doing the exact same thing on a busy narrow road near me. He'd been slowing down all traffic flow. I'd have overtaken him and accidentally reversed over his bike. Preferably with him on it. I've given up driving here ..

Probably for the best all round really.

I'm almost sure running someone down is against the law.

Probably for the best all round really.

I'm almost sure running someone down is against the law.

Wit sharper than a razor. Oscar must be turning in his grave .. coffee1.gif

Looked like the typical Thai driving style to me ... are they going to arrest the whole population that drives now?

And it was the white pickup that changed lanes that caused the accident, not the guy in the red car (even tho he was driving like a moron).

Some real punishment at last. Well done judge and to the motorist that posted the clip online.

Edit to add video clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzpvfLRmu8

Can't see how the accident is his fault but still no sympathy for him losing his car as his driving was dangerous.

I agree, I don't see how it his fault.

It seems like at 1:45 mark. The pickup truck on the right was more focused on the red yaris than the car merging his/her right. He suddenly swerved to the left to avoid the merging sedan causing the crash.

The red yaris was trying to race the car that was filming or something, he stop and took off several times to tempt the video car.

and only a 500 baht fine, great that they took his licence and confiscated thew car but after causing 2 accidents and driving like an idiot only 500 baht, what a joke. When will a magistrate have the balls to actually fine these morons many thousands of baht so that they start to think about never doing it again. Can only hope the car is not returned after a few days.

I think that is the amount proscribed by law...

It is the law that is wrong, not the magistrates or judges too lenient.

Lucky he was not some top cops son, probably the person who filmed this would in court...

Some real punishment at last. Well done judge and to the motorist that posted the clip online.

Can't see how the accident is his fault but still no sympathy for him losing his car as his driving was dangerous.

You'll notice that he repeatedly drives in front of the same white pickup and then slams on his brakes...the last time the pickup swerves to avoid him.

These small cars are just a step up from the motorcy's they have been driving before they get their first car, and they drive like they do on their bikes, see many young students here in khonkaen driving the same way.

The red Yaris driver was harassing the pickup after the pickup changed into the left lane (at 51 secs) - the pickup indicated.

The Yaris driver is ahead of the pickup (at 1min) and clear to drive ahead, instead he pulls over to the left to wait for the white pickup to harass him.

At 1min 34seconds the pickup is clearly driving to avoid the Yaris - The pickup driver is perhaps starting to panic.

at 1min 43seconds the Yaris driver pulls alongside the pickup with his window open, waving something at the pickup and cuts across his path (at 1:45)... The pickup driver thinks the Yaris driver has a gun (this is what the Thai forums are saying) and takes evasive action.

Unfortunately, this evasive action is too sudden... in the pickups attempt to change lanes and get away from the Yaris driver he cuts across the 'video car' which in turn clips a bike.

-----------------

This is not a normal road accident where someone makes a silly mistake: The pickup driver was clearly fearing for his safety - The Yaris driver instigated and then exacerbated any danger in this situation. The accident is a direct result of the Yaris drivers threatening manner.

I agree, I don't see how it his fault.

It seems like at 1:45 mark. The pickup truck on the right was more focused on the red yaris than the car merging his/her right. He suddenly swerved to the left to avoid the merging sedan causing the crash.

The red yaris was trying to race the car that was filming or something, he stop and took off several times to tempt the video car.

I agree with the fact that the white pick up which swerved was not focused on the inside lane.

However we can't see what havoc was wrought on the other side of the pickup after it swerved.

The red yaris was the catalyst for all of these actions and considering the motorcyclist, who careened under the car on the inside lane at the end of the video, I think prison time is warrented.

Not saying this is what happened but it looks like the driver in the white pickup that started the accident got scared of the driver of the red Yaris. I think the pickup used his horn earlier in the video, and perhaps got scared by the driver of the Yaris after that and wanted to get away from him. The pickup is in fact first shifting lanes to the right, for what looks like to get away from the Yaris. The Yaris then comes back, crossing him again, which could easily be thought by the driver of the pickup as the Yaris came back for him. Yes, the pickup driver made an error when he suddenly turned to the left to cross the road, which led to an accident, but to me it looks like the driver of the Yaris is mostly to blame for his error.

Also note that many Thais get offended and some even feel threatened by being horned at, I`ve been told not to use the horn here in Thailand unless it`s actually necessary (emergency use, for which the horn is actually meant to be used for). So with that taken into consideration, it may be the driver of the pickup thought he pissed off the driver in the red Yaris and got scared, which led him to cause the accident.

Either way, the driver of the Yaris should have lost his drivers license for longer than 6 months and should`ve been given a higher fine. At leased they correctly confiscated his car, but he shouldn`t be be able to be back on the roads driving already after six months. That`s just wrong.

Something all wrong about this reporting. It appeared to me that the red Yaris and the driver with the dash cam were in on the act together, as if it was pre-arranged,..... like....the Yaris guy says to the other guy "I'll go crazy and you get it on film"......he even has to wait on a couple of occasions for the camera car to catch up and goes crazy again, they BOTH have to drive crazy, but the most insane thing of all is that it was really neither of them that actually caused the accident....it was the wally in the white Pick-up that was on the camera car's right side that suddenly cut in front of him (the camera car).

Sometimes (read more often than not) it is necessary to zig zag on 3/4 lane highways, due to the fact that so many motorists will not keep left, and just stick in the 2 outer lanes driving at speeds lower than those wanting to overtake them.

It is the drivers who will not keep in the inner lanes having completed their overtaking manouvre that should be heavily fined and have their vehicles confiscated!

At the lower end of the lunacy scale. Get the arrogant Merc driving bitch who repeatedly drives through pedestrians on the lane between the Hyatt and Amarin Plaza...doing about 80 kmh. No, won't happen but a Yaris is safe for seizure

Driver should have just become a monk for a week and all would be forgiven. Like that chick last week…some actress…..became a nun and nothing else heard about it.

Edited by nottocus

Looked like the typical Thai driving style to me ... are they going to arrest the whole population that drives now?

And it was the white pickup that changed lanes that caused the accident, not the guy in the red car (even tho he was driving like a moron).

I thought my wife had gone out and bought a new car while I am away when I first watched the video.

And I agree, the white car caused the accident, but I would still crush the red Yaris with the moron driver still in it.