Pheu Thai Watana vents anger at junta for overseas travel ban

Lite Beer

Watana has been involved in a number of cases such as the Bangkok firetruck purchase scam of 6.6 billion baht and the Ua-Athorn housing project corruption where 80 million baht was unexplained in his account.

He's been in every Thaksin party since Thai Rak Thai and is long considered one of his highest right hand men in party politics.

It's very revealing that so many pundits here are obviously unaware, unintentionally or intentionally, of this man's long checkered history.

He's scum.

Has he been charged with anything?

Yes, he has.

The lack of knowledge regarding this scum by a number of pontificators is staggering. Full of bluster that betrays their newness to Thailand politics.

There are dozens of references to his antics right here on this board, although I did have to look for a number of them in the archived sections.

Not sure why the forum does that, but they are found with a search of his name (note: various transliterations have been used over the years).

"Yes, he has.", but you won't state what they are or provide links. Why is that?

I did a search on his full name in the Thailand New forum, of the five topics that came up, this is the closest I came to finding a "charge":

"Also yesterday, former commerce minister Watana Muangsook won an appeal against the BMA's demand that he pay an unspecified sum for allegedly amending regulations to make a barter agreement to pay for the fire trucks with chickens or other farm products. He was initially indicted on these charges by the National Anti-Corruption Commission. The judges said there was not enough evidence to prove the allegations." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722616-samaks-wife-pracha-ordered-by-court-to-pay-bt587-million-to-bma/page-2?hl=%2Bwatana+%2Bmuangsook#entry7759438

and:

"BANGKOK: -- The Central Administrative Court Wednesday ruled in favour of former commerce minister Watana Muangsook, freeing him from the obligation to pay damages to the city administration over the controversial fire vehicle deal.

Watana filed the lawsuit against the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, arguing against the BMA's demand for him to pay compensation over the inflated prices of fire vehicles the BMA was told to purchase from Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug.

The court ruled that Watana had nothing to do with the order to have the BMA urgently sign purchase contract with the Austrian firm." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722464-thailand-live-wednesday-30-apr-2014/page-3?hl=%2Bwatana+%2Bmuangsook#entry7756674

Two charges, both dropped on appeal due to lack of evidence. Of course lack of evidence doesn't stop people on this forum from stating speculation as fact.

I'm still looking for an explanation for the travel ban.

If you havent notised, Thailan is run by a junta and is not a democracy.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why banned from travelling?

"According to former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, junta officials said he was barred from leaving the country because he has been criticizing the regime through interviews with the media. The officials reportedly told him he could file another request on 18 September. "

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437111009&section=11

"Ex-minister Watana faces bribe charges

space.gif

Watana Muangsook, the former minister of social development and human security, and four groups of 10 suspects will face graft indictments relating to Bt82 million in bribes from the Ua Arthorn housing project.

In a bribery scandal reminiscent of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's asset concealment case, Watana handled his illicit funds via an uncanny list of accomplices including a maid, a typist and a driver."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/20/headlines/headlines_30029744.php

A maid, a typist and a driver ? Sounds like your typical Shin-stained low-life that some posters (for one reason or another ???) like to spend all their spare time defending.

Published in 2007. Any updates? Did this lead to anything? Google provided nothing on this.

"Two convicted and three acquitted in firetruck scandal"

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-convicted-and-three-acquitted-in-firetruck-scandal

Lovely fellow. biggrin.png

He was one of the acquitted.

..................."Published in 2007. Any updates? Did this lead to anything? Google provided nothing on this."............................

I don't know if it lead to anything. Just thought this line really sums him up -

............................"In a bribery scandal reminiscent of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's asset concealment case, Watana handled his illicit funds via an uncanny list of accomplices including a maid, a typist and a driver."......................................thumbsup.gif

And I know he was acquitted, I did read the article.

Point is, it is often said that dirty, grubby, guilty crims often get away with being bent when in reality they should be behind bars.

This lowlife is a perfect example and I am sure the government knows how dirty he is.

................................................."Can anyone give reasons, based upon credible sources, why the junta has banned Watana Muangsook from overseas travel?"....................................

As to why the government has banned this snake from overseas travel - I don't know and don't really care. If you are so desperate to know the answer, why don't you ask the PM ? I am sure he would love to entertain you.

(just don't tell him your name) biggrin.png

"As to why the government has banned this snake from overseas travel - I don't know and don't really care."

Finally, a definitive, credible answer. My complements, you are one of the few who will admit they don't know. I wish more posters were like you.

Bruce, I cannot answer for the other posters but for what it's worth I will repeat what I said to you way back in Post #110 -

"I don't know and don't really care. If you are so desperate to know the answer, why don't you ask the PM ?"

You seem to be on some sort of crusade to get an answer to your question out of someone just so you can disagree with them or argue the logic in it, which it seems is the only reason you are here.

Little wonder nobody will answer your question because no matter what they say they will be shot down in flames.

Who cares why the Government won't let this grubbly little man leave the country, but if it is that important to you go and ask the PM !

Why can't this man travel overseas? Is he charged with anything? Can anyone provide credible, referenced answers as opposed to the speculation posted in abundance?

These are reasonable, on-topic questions. If you are not interested in them why do you keep replying to these posts?

"According to former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, junta officials said he was barred from leaving the country because he has been criticizing the regime through interviews with the media. The officials reportedly told him he could file another request on 18 September. "

By far the best answer to date.

Are people content with the answer provided by the person subjected to the travel ban?

Has he been charged with anything?

Yes, he has.

The lack of knowledge regarding this scum by a number of pontificators is staggering. Full of bluster that betrays their newness to Thailand politics.

There are dozens of references to his antics right here on this board, although I did have to look for a number of them in the archived sections.

Not sure why the forum does that, but they are found with a search of his name (note: various transliterations have been used over the years).

"Yes, he has.", but you won't state what they are or provide links. Why is that?

I did a search on his full name in the Thailand New forum, of the five topics that came up, this is the closest I came to finding a "charge":

"Also yesterday, former commerce minister Watana Muangsook won an appeal against the BMA's demand that he pay an unspecified sum for allegedly amending regulations to make a barter agreement to pay for the fire trucks with chickens or other farm products. He was initially indicted on these charges by the National Anti-Corruption Commission. The judges said there was not enough evidence to prove the allegations." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722616-samaks-wife-pracha-ordered-by-court-to-pay-bt587-million-to-bma/page-2?hl=%2Bwatana+%2Bmuangsook#entry7759438

and:

"BANGKOK: -- The Central Administrative Court Wednesday ruled in favour of former commerce minister Watana Muangsook, freeing him from the obligation to pay damages to the city administration over the controversial fire vehicle deal.

Watana filed the lawsuit against the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, arguing against the BMA's demand for him to pay compensation over the inflated prices of fire vehicles the BMA was told to purchase from Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug.

The court ruled that Watana had nothing to do with the order to have the BMA urgently sign purchase contract with the Austrian firm." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722464-thailand-live-wednesday-30-apr-2014/page-3?hl=%2Bwatana+%2Bmuangsook#entry7756674

Two charges, both dropped on appeal due to lack of evidence. Of course lack of evidence doesn't stop people on this forum from stating speculation as fact.

I'm still looking for an explanation for the travel ban.

If you havent notised, Thailan is run by a junta and is not a democracy.

Quite right, Thailand is run by an autocratic, repressive, rule-by-decree Article 44-ship.

Why is it that people are reluctant to give that as the reason for the travel ban?

Wow Bruce, 10 posts in a row ! Must be some kind of TVF record !

..................."I frequently read libelous nonsense like this. Do you have any evidence that the PTP government was complicit in the violence committed by protesters and opponents?"...........................

Really ? You want to chase this one now ? We still have not got to the bottom of this Watana business. biggrin.png

..................."I frequently read libelous nonsense like this. Do you have any evidence that the PTP government was complicit in the violence committed by protesters and opponents?"...........................

Really ? You want to chase this one now ? We still have not got to the bottom of this Watana business. biggrin.png

Why would you care if he travels. As you dislike the guy so much I would have thought you would be happy if he left the country.

Why would you care if he travels. As you dislike the guy so much I would have thought you would be happy if he left the country.

Try to keep up. See post #116.

Are people content with the answer provided by the person subjected to the travel ban?

What possible reason could he have to lie?

When I have nothing better to do I check TV and sometimes post about a topic. If I come back later and find a lot of nonsense replies to my post I'll respond to them. It doesn't take long to compose a reply to a nonsense post.

On the subject of nonsense posts, many people state as if it were a fact that the PTP government was complicit in the violence committed by Suthep and his minions and the violence provoked by their illegal actions. Of course none of theses posters reply when I ask for evidence to support this claim.

What possible reason could he have to lie?

I don't know of any, but many posters here have been speculating that the reason has to do with vaguely described but heinous crimes.

"the former minister said that stopping people to talk and to express their opinions through the barrel of the gun will not lead to sustainable peace"

I bet Suthep is smirking when reading this. It is what the red shirts did to his protestors in 2013/14.

Watana is right though as it does not lead to sustainable peace which is exactly why the military had to step in.

Well done for inadvertently justifying the coup.

... Continuing to do what the claim to fight.

Hypocrites

Tsk tsk... Searching 101.

Look up posts, not threads, of the 3 different transliterations of his first and last names in the archived and non-archived sections.

It takes a little bit of time, but at least people won't look silly with their lack of knowledge covering the last 15 years of this scum's career.

Posts? People can post any BS they want. You, by posting claims without any evidence, are demonstrating that.

Do you have any credible sources indicating there are charges against him? If so, provide links. If not, you have nothing.

Well Duh...Posts quoting news sources such as those by moderator jai dee (for example) amongst others.

As said, you can continue to demonstrate your minimal knowledge or seek these posts out on your own as suggested. By insisting that others spoon feed you just reflects the infantile nature of those that have not done the rudimentary fact gathering on their own and then make unknowledgable posts regarding Thai politics.

But don't worry, in that regard you have lots of company as many of the posts on this thread indicate.

Did you go to school? Did you write papers which required you to reference your sources? Did you reference with the statement "Find them yourself!"?

It is the responsibility of people making claims that are not general knowledge to provide evidence for their claims. If you don't do that, nobody of any intelligence will believe you. Your stubborn refusal to provide sources reinforces your lack of credibility.

No charge for the schooling.

This is not school project requiring a hand in structured report.