Three Very Bright Flashes of Light from the North?

FolkGuitar

Now if the light had been in the East and not the North, this would have allowed TV members to speculate on if it was the second coming or not !!

Nothing good comes from the East, it's the North now, he can come from where ever he wants, the world is his oyster

Last night I was sitting on my condo balcony, near CMU and saw the same flashes to the east, toward Maya.

I thought lightening because it was raining, but no thunder.
I thought maybe a larger electrical transformer blowing, but there were 2 or 3 separated by maybe 15-30 seconds and no significant power outages that I could see.
They seemed to be contained in size as you mention, unlike lightening which spreads out.

It could have come from the large screen located on the East side of Maya is what I am thinking... I have watched it and the one at Harbour pour serious light out in the direction they face.
Not sure where your location is, but if you are in the area of Hang Dong, South or South/East of Maya, that would explain it...

It COULD have been much further away as it appeared in the horizon, but that could have been caused by low cloud formations too...
Mai roo.

Edited by Nowisee

Bit late for Chiang Mai's Bung Bang Fai (rocket festival) which is held at Huay Tung Tao on June 17.

Did a scan through Chiang Mai Thai news sources but can't find anything. So our list of possibilities.

1. Lightning

2. Transformer

3. Fireworks

4. Search Light or silly bright electronic bill board

5. UFO - unidentified flashing object.

wink.png

I've noticed 2 (but there could have been 3) incredibly bright flashes, followed by what seemed like only one huge bang 3 or 4 times. At least two of those times there has been immediate disruption to the electricity supply (if I'm in bed, I'm not getting up to investigate).

My money is on it being a transformer, and if I'm correct, I worry about how easily those beasties tend to blow.

Is Chiang Mai noted for UFO sightings? Maybe its a new form of rain making.

I'm pretty sure it was more earth-bound rather than extra-terrestrial. What ever it was that we saw was coming from the ground rather than something in the sky.

At sea level the horizon appears to be about 3 miles away to a 6ft person. We are on the 15th floor which give us almost a 17 mile horizon distance, and these flashes seemed to be at the edge of our visible horizon at ground level. That's a VERY rough estimate, but I doubt it was much closer. But it was bright enough to reflect off of the edges of my aluminum screens, which is what caught my eye on the first flash as it was so remarkably bright! Then a few seconds later a second flash, this one I saw clearly, followed again 3-4 seconds later by the third flash which I also watched directly as it happened. It reminded me of a photographic flash in its intensity. Had there been one right outside my window I would have thought that first.

We are south west of CM, and a few times we noticed really bright searchlights coming from the direction you mention. It is difficult to gauge whether it is CM or Saket, but they light up the sky from the ground and are clearly visible over 40KM. It is not every night it just seems random, maybe they were pointed lower? The time you mention is certainly around when we noticed them.

Chan O Cha hasn't been up North has he? I know he sometimes lets the sun shine out of his arse!

Last night I was sitting on my condo balcony, near CMU and saw the same flashes to the east, toward Maya.

I thought lightening because it was raining, but no thunder.

I thought maybe a larger electrical transformer blowing, but there were 2 or 3 separated by maybe 15-30 seconds and no significant power outages that I could see.

They seemed to be contained in size as you mention, unlike lightening which spreads out.

It could have come from the large screen located on the East side of Maya is what I am thinking... I have watched it and the one at Harbour pour serious light out in the direction they face.

Not sure where your location is, but if you are in the area of Hang Dong, South or South/East of Maya, that would explain it...

It COULD have been much further away as it appeared in the horizon, but that could have been caused by low cloud formations too...

Mai roo.

Checking with a compass this time, the flashes would actually be more North-East rather than due North from me. The flashes I saw were separated by 15-30 seconds, enough time for me to stand up, grab a pair of binoculars, and walk to the window. My condo is up on the 14th floor east of Maya so North-East would be roughly over Central Festival, but I see their lights every night. The flashes that we saw came from MUCH further away, just a few degrees north of the mall lights.

Is Chiang Mai noted for UFO sightings? Maybe its a new form of rain making.

I'm pretty sure it was more earth-bound rather than extra-terrestrial. What ever it was that we saw was coming from the ground rather than something in the sky.

At sea level the horizon appears to be about 3 miles away to a 6ft person. We are on the 15th floor which give us almost a 17 mile horizon distance, and these flashes seemed to be at the edge of our visible horizon at ground level. That's a VERY rough estimate, but I doubt it was much closer. But it was bright enough to reflect off of the edges of my aluminum screens, which is what caught my eye on the first flash as it was so remarkably bright! Then a few seconds later a second flash, this one I saw clearly, followed again 3-4 seconds later by the third flash which I also watched directly as it happened. It reminded me of a photographic flash in its intensity. Had there been one right outside my window I would have thought that first.

We are south west of CM, and a few times we noticed really bright searchlights coming from the direction you mention. It is difficult to gauge whether it is CM or Saket, but they light up the sky from the ground and are clearly visible over 40KM. It is not every night it just seems random, maybe they were pointed lower? The time you mention is certainly around when we noticed them.

Chan O Cha hasn't been up North has he? I know he sometimes lets the sun shine out of his arse!

Unless the searchlights were about 200 meters in diameter and only on for 1-2 seconds, somehow not reflecting off the cloud cover as the 'dome' of light was definitely on the ground, what we saw wasn't caused by searchlights... which I already stated in post #7.

Probably the three fuses blowing on a electricity substation, there are three of them, one for each phase. When they pop there can be be an intense flash as you can see it for some distance as the fuses are at a height of about 12 feet from the ground.

Probably the three fuses blowing on a electricity substation, there are three of them, one for each phase. When they pop there can be be an intense flash as you can see it for some distance as the fuses are at a height of about 12 feet from the ground.

That's a good possibility, especially if the substation is on an elevated hillside somewhere in the vicinity Doi Saket.

Intracloud lightning.

I guess you missed the three posts that stated that the hemispherical flashes emanated from ground level, not from the sky. And missed the posts that suggested reading the other posts first.

At 17 miles, you'll see the flash about 85 seconds before you'll hear anything. That's because of the difference between the speed of light and the speed of sound. (It's a great way to figure out how close that lightning really hit- 5 seconds per mile)

Oh please.

That's what you think.

Light does not travel faster than sound in Thailand.

coffee1.gif

This is the advantage of a college education. Academic knowledge combined with personal observation, distilled with sound logic! How could it not be correct? Damn, I love it! LOL!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Could it be that the 3 wise men from the east who lost their bearings and are coming from the

north to bring good news to PM Prayut?

That's probably closer to the truth than the Firefly theory, but I'm still going to run with the Electrical box short circuit idea myself.

One post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Off topic I know but this topic reminded me. The night before last at about 12.30 I said to the wife " What is that noise ,it sounds like a plane ? " She said it was . Just like the sound a regular plane makes flying overhead, but, I didn't think commercial planes flew at night from our nearest airport Chiang Rai. If they do fly at night I have never heard one before. Serious question , do commercial panes fly at night or was the cloud base so low for the first time in 8 years of living here we heard a plane ? We live north of CEI so any plane would of been going to Myanmar.

Its not unusual for Chiang Rai to have private jet flights from China. Mostly from Beijing but they are actually small airliners owned by billionaires or big companies. There are also lots of flights from Chiang Mai to China and they all route over the Chiang Rai area although they would be pretty high by then.

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone!

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone!

We call it a bender.

If you're old enough to remember Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone, you may be experiencing the onset of senility.

Welcome to the club.