Thai doctor warns against swallowing Santol seeds

webfact

Doctor warns against swallowing santol seeds

emdkrathnainlamais1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As santol fruit (krathorn in Thai) is flooding the market, consumers of the tropical fruit are told not to swallow its seeds as they may puncture or clog up their intestine.

The Sawan Pracharuk hospital in Nakhon Sawan has, so far this year, conducted emergency surgery on four patients who suffered intestinal problem after having swallowed santol seeds.

According to Dr Korakit Laohasakprasit, resident surgeon attached to Sawan Pracharuk hospital, the latest patient, a 50-year old man, was operated on to remove 14 santol seeds from his stomach after the seeds clogged his intestine prompting him to be rushed to the hospital.

He noted that most of the patients were elderly rural people who have the habit of swallowing santol seeds because they were unaware that the seeds would post a serious health threat once the slippery meat that covers the seeds were digested leaving the hard seeds with their sharp cores which puncture the intestine. The seeds too are undigestible.

Dr Korakit warned that if the intestine was punctured, germs could escape to the stomach and cause infection which might result to death if not treated in time.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/doctor-warns-against-swallowing-santol-seeds

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-20

These were on Thai TV last night and I asked the Mrs what they were as I had never seen them.

That program with 3 ladies (fat, thin and medium) that starts with yodelling, normally about food.

She said she was going to get some for me to try and fortunately I now know to spit the pips out. (Which I likely would have done anyhow, what daft bugger swallow seeds from fruits, and he needs to be kept away from Durian and Jack fruit.)

Edited by jacko45k

These were on Thai TV last night and I asked the Mrs what they were as I had never seen them.

That program with 3 ladies (fat, thin and medium) that starts with yodelling, normally about food.

She said she was going to get some for me to try and fortunately I now know to spit the pips out. (Which I likely would have done anyhow, what daft bugger swallow seeds from fruits, and he needs to be kept away from Durian and Jack fruit.)

Jackfruit seeds are yummy. Chew well.

Aren't they too hard to chew?

They are huge.

Good advice. I often eat seeds of various fruits. Just need to find out what the fruit in question looks like now.

Me, too. I am also a seed-eater. I enjoy it more than carefully chewing and spitting them out. I'm surprised that these seeds are a health risk. Seeds are made to be eaten and pooped out, though obviously it depends on the size of the animal consuming the seed.

How on earth do you eat a strawberry or a kiwi fruit without swallowing the seeds? Edited by watso63

Aren't they too hard to chew?

They are huge.

Cook them first. Very nice. A bit like chestnuts.

Wow!

How to cook them? partytime2.gif

Simmer in salty water for about 1/2 hour. Very tasty but watch the calories. (Just to be clear I'm talking about large jack fruit seeds). Edited by watso63

They're pretty good. Sour, but in a tasty way.

Not eating the seeds is kind of a no-brainer though.

It's like telling people not to eat peach pits.

How on earth do you eat a strawberry or a kiwi fruit without swallowing the seeds?

I should have said real fruits, and you forgot cucumber.

I will have the dubious pleasure this morning.

My Mrs got some and they will be served up with my tropical fruit selection breakfast this morning.

My Mrs got some and they will be served up with my tropical fruit selection breakfast this morning.

If you like dill pickles or grapefruit, you'll like santol.

I eat mine with salt. I love 'em!

One of the first things I had to teach my wife about farang food was that my salt shaker lives on the kitchen table, not buried in some obscure place under the counter.

Getting salt in a Thai home is like pulling teeth.

Edited by jaywalker

One of the first things I had to teach my wife about farang food was that my salt shaker lives on the kitchen table, not buried in some obscure place under the counter.

Well I don't like to add salt to fruit myself (excepting green mango and guava perhaps where I like the chilli powder/salt/sugar dip), but I keep a cellar full in the kitchen for falang type snacks, soups, sandwiches for example.

Rather a contrast in tastes there, dill pickles and grapefruit.

I liked the taste, rather like a very chewy mangosteen, but the texture is mind boggling. Like a chewing gum and you have to suck around the seed to get some taste out and some flesh. I was surprised that people are swallowing the seeds, they seemed rather large for that. But you get the odd one that is small and perhaps the temptation is to swallow the whole tasty glutinous lump down. I can certainly see it causing blockages. The one I had was not sour at all

Edited by jacko45k

Well I don't like to add salt to fruit myself (excepting green mango and guava perhaps where I like the chilli powder/salt/sugar dip), but I keep a cellar full in the kitchen for falang type snacks, soups, sandwiches for example.

I liked the taste, rather like a very chewy mangosteen, but the texture is mind boggling. Like a chewing gum and you have to suck around the seed to get some taste out and some flesh. I was surprised that people are swallowing the seeds, they seemed rather large for that. But you get the odd one that is small and perhaps the temptation is to swallow the whole tasty glutinous lump down. I can certainly see it causing blockages. The one I had was not sour at all

I first tried them in the Philippines about 15 years ago.

Every one I ever tried seemed to satisfy my sour tooth.

My GF's brother climbed a tree to pick some for me and I was catching them in my hat. I looked away for half a second & he managed to nail me right in the head with one.

Yes the texture is strange. I have to floss after eating one.

I once saw a guy sleeping under a durian tree in Malaysia. BAD IDEA.

He got bloodied pretty badly.

I first tried them in the Philippines about 15 years ago.

Every one I ever tried seemed to satisfy my sour tooth.

My GF's brother climbed a tree to pick some for me and I was catching them in my hat. I looked away for half a second & he managed to nail me right in the head with one.

Yes the texture is strange. I have to floss after eating one.

I once saw a guy sleeping under a durian tree in Malaysia. BAD IDEA.

He got bloodied pretty badly.

Must be something in the water about dodgy sleeping places.

My neighbour is having some work done and the workers took their midday nap and one had gone to sleep against a garden wall in the road. Fortunately I went out on my bike and he was easy to spot, had I used the truck there was a chance of clipping him or running over an outstretched arm.