New security measures at Don Mueang airport causing long delays

This "new" procedure does not make any sense at all, at least to me. And it does not make any sense to x-ray luggage before check in either.

Even with carry on luggage screened before check in, there are easy ways to hand anything to a departing passenger while waiting in line for check in.

I would think that check in luggage is going through x-ray after check in, like at other airports abroad? And hand luggage gets checked when one enters the "secure area" anyway, so why TWO checks (the first one being pretty meaningless anyway!)?

Especially at Don Mueang where after check-in, one can again wonder around the airport and only then go to the security check before the departure gates.

I travel internationally quite frequently (outside of Asia) but I have never seen a system like at Don Mueang International airport. If that system is that good (which it is not!), why is it not introduced at Suvarnabhumi as well?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if someone brings a gun into the pre check-in area? With all those people queuing for an X-ray... it would be carnage. Think of the delay of process! Better set up more X-ray stations outside the airport for a pre-pre-scan to avoid this.

Why are these new security measure only in place at Don Mueang and not Survanabhumi?

Is this reaction to some specific threat?

Seems strange to me.

Glad I don't have to fly from DM any time soon.

I apologize if question has already been asked but last time I went through Swampy my hand baggage was ex-rayed , always has been.

PS. If you allow auto text my hand baggage is apparently ex-rated.

Why are these new security measure only in place at Don Mueang and not Survanabhumi?

Is this reaction to some specific threat?

Seems strange to me.

Glad I don't have to fly from DM any time soon.

I apologize if question has already been asked but last time I went through Swampy my hand baggage was ex-rayed , always has been.

PS. If you allow auto text my hand baggage is apparently ex-rated.

The effectiveness of the machine is directly related to how much attention the operator is paying - and how well trained they are.

Talking about X-rated bags - it wont be the first time that an operator has spotted sex toys in bags - and security then has great fun making sure everyone can see their "find."

This "new" procedure does not make any sense at all, at least to me. And it does not make any sense to x-ray luggage before check in either.

Even with carry on luggage screened before check in, there are easy ways to hand anything to a departing passenger while waiting in line for check in.

I would think that check in luggage is going through x-ray after check in, like at other airports abroad? And hand luggage gets checked when one enters the "secure area" anyway, so why TWO checks (the first one being pretty meaningless anyway!)?

Especially at Don Mueang where after check-in, one can again wonder around the airport and only then go to the security check before the departure gates.

I travel internationally quite frequently (outside of Asia) but I have never seen a system like at Don Mueang International airport. If that system is that good (which it is not!), why is it not introduced at Suvarnabhumi as well?

fly in African countries with AF or KLM,

your hand lagguge is checked 3 times !!!

The 3rd time on the roll stair on the airplane door by hand searching with reflectors !!

And passenger check !

all passengers are counted ! by hand - please be quiet !

when a 200 seat airplane is occupied by 197 guests,

they counting as long until they get 197 scores !

Once i asked them why they not counting the empty seats ???

the stuart answered - its not the rule !!

( This is France and Dutch !! not a 3rd worl country !! )

Four of us from work went through Manchester a couple of years ago, one was taken away for questioning. His job was explosives and his back pack was the one he took to work. Explosive residue detected. Questioned him for a while. Proves the machines work there.

So what happens to those of us who are changing planes at DMK? In my daughters case her AA flight from KL arrives at 17.30 and she is booked on the last Nok Air flight to Ubon at 19.30. (originally had a 3 hour transit time but AA cancelled original flight). There will be many people affected by this surely ? It's on thing to arrive at an airport an hour or two early if you can but for many pax that won't be possible. How is this going to pan out ?

Four of us from work went through Manchester a couple of years ago, one was taken away for questioning. His job was explosives and his back pack was the one he took to work. Explosive residue detected. Questioned him for a while. Proves the machines work there.

What did he expect ? I know dope smokers who are clued up enough to take a clean bag.

What did he expect ? I know dope smokers who are clued up enough to take a clean bag.

He didn't give it a thought, spent explosives. He did not complain.

My own experience with the Thai "security" at the airport is they stupidly waste time checking harmless things like watches or rubber slippers just to annoy passengers. (Thai security with egos enjoying their power trip). And instead they ignore dangerous things like knives in carry on luggage.

I know this because it happened to me and I would never have known until it was spotted by Singaporean airport security.

It's just a matter of time before some major avoidable incident occurs due to Thailand carelessness.

Oh my, I hope this does't become world wide!!! These d@mn terrorists have certainly changed our lifestyle to say nothing of the money being wasted. They are doing this because of possible explosions in the check-in area? OMG...........flying has become such a drag.

Layout of airports is different. Some require bag checks on entry to check in area, the old Don Muang was like that. Some leave it till after immigration, like Swampy. Bags are still checked. Suppose as you enter airport would be safest. Not sure why it takes longer to do? Same number of passengers.

Just got back to CM from Don Mueang . Absolute mayhem. Good job we were early. Insufficient search machines. Only 2 for the whole airport. Queues were miles long. It took us 45 minutes just to get thru initial scan and then a further scan after check in. Thousands of Chinese with trolleys loaded to the hilt with giant cases and huge boxes of lord knows what! Avoid!! Pay extra and fly via 'bumi airport. It's worth it.

My own experience with the Thai "security" at the airport is they stupidly waste time checking harmless things like watches or rubber slippers just to annoy passengers. (Thai security with egos enjoying their power trip). And instead they ignore dangerous things like knives in carry on luggage.

I know this because it happened to me and I would never have known until it was spotted by Singaporean airport security.

It's just a matter of time before some major avoidable incident occurs due to Thailand carelessness.

A year back a Thai friend shared the following:

- A passenger 1 or 2 ahead in the line was asked to open his carry on at the desk adjacent to the x ray machines. He did so.

- After a couple of minutes he asked the attendant 'what are you looking for?'

- Reply 'I don't know'.

- Passengers asked for supervisor to come and indicated he wasn't happy.

- Passenger asked 'Has this attendant had any training?

- Reply 'No training yet, he's new.'

Typical Thai knee jerk reaction to give the perception that something which is broken has been fixed. If it was a standard procedure then why does it need such drastic action to fix it.

All airports change. Get your point, hopefully they will sort it out. Had horrendous flights going through new/upgraded airports in my time.

I don't understand the fuss, I when the airport 2 weeks ago on crutches and then x-ray my carry on bag and my crutches. The problem of long lines is idiots who come to the airport 30 minutes before the flight and expect to walk through check-in like royalty.

It was not this bad when DM was the main airport. To many chiefs (Who do not know what they are doing and not a bit of experience on how to run an airport) and not enough Indians.

This will always happen as they will only employ their own people.

So the delay of process is there to prevent "the delay of process". clap2.gif

No is says 'to prevent the airport from the unlawful interference action that may cause the delay of process'. This seems to be causing it's own 'delay of process' but that is a separate issue. 555.

Every checked bag has had to go though their scanners before check in for years.

These huge delays are caused by laying your carry on bag in the belt and having an employee put one of those self-breaking tags on it, instead of standing there with your bag and waiting for your checked bag to come out of the machine?

That's got to take...seconds. So for every 100 people in line waiting to get to the check in counters (I've flown in and out of DMK 100's of times and never saw a line with 100 people in it) you need to allow what, 2 minutes ?

Or are they including the time it takes these travelers to push the accelerator after the traffic light turns green on their way to the airport ?

Well, I guess this is so you don't carry a pistol in your carry on and then slip it into your previously scanned checked in bag before lodging it at the counter.

makes sense but why no increase in scanners? ?

Archived