Army denies outside influence behind May 22 coup

webfact

Army denies outside influence behind May 22 coup
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE ARMY staged the coup on May 22 last year on its own and was not influenced by any particular group of people, as has been claimed by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a court has heard.

Maj-General Sarayut Klinmahom, director of the Army's Judge Advocate Office, made the statement while testifying before the Criminal Court yesterday during a hearing of the Army's libel case against Thaksin.

The court will decide on August 28 whether to accept the case.

"Nobody ordered the Army to seize political power," Sarayut told the court.

He represented the Army in bringing the case to court against Thaksin, who in May made the accusation in an interview with the media in South Korea.

Thaksin's interview later was posted on the YouTube video-sharing website and social media.

Sarayut told the court that Thaksin had defamed the Army by painting it as damaging the country and admiring the dictatorial rule of Myanmar's military government.

Sarayut insisted the Army had in fact staged the coup to prevent further destabilisation of the country, after months of protest, a political deadlock and loss of lives from the use of war-grade weapons.

"The Army needed to restore peace and prevent further harm to national security. The power seizure was unlikely to cause a negative impact on the country. As many as 80-90 per cent of the people agreed with the coup. There were people who opposed it, but the number was very low," he claimed.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Attorney-General is investigating another case in which Thaksin is accused of lese majeste. However, Attorney-General Trakul Winitnaiyapak has not ordered the investigators to expedite their work, office spokesman Wanchai Rujanawong said yesterday.

Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya said he had asked Japan Ambassador Shiro Sadoshima to keep an eye on Thai expatriates in Japan who are sought for violating the lese majeste law. Paiboon said he did not expect Japan to extradite those people back to Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-denies-outside-influence-behind-May-22-coup-30264868.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-21

"Nobody ordered the Army to seize political power," Sarayut told the court.... Err.. so why did they do it then? Because they felt they are better qualified to run a country and they did it out of the goodness of their hearts? Okay then....

Wasn't Thaksin in Korea when he made those remarks? If so, at the time, wasn't he subject to Korean law and not Thai law?

If so, whetever are these people doing? Charging someone for an alleged crime while in a foreign country whicxh has not charged him? And then trying him in absentia?

Am I missing something?

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

What a load of typical claptrap most of these comments are.

To anyone with any sense who watched the whole thing unfold, it is pretty clear what happened :

1) After the amnesty bill, protestors took to the streets in huge numbers demanding political reform.

2) Pheu-Thai refused any compromise.

3) Pheu-Thai tried to run an election during emergency law in order to use that mandate as a reason to continue as they were.

4) They scored about 30% of the vote even though >90% of polling stations were open. That route clearly did not work.

5) To try and get rid of the protestors, UDD terrorists were put on the streets to murder innocent people with M79 grenade attacks.

6) Despite the large number of attacks, the corrupt police did not arrest a single one. In fact, they were seen aiding the terrorists for safe passage.

7) Things were getting so bad, the Army had to start manning check points and do the job of the police. That's when Prayuth announced the Army were taking control of security.

8) Pheu-Thai point blank refused to be involved in any reform unless their own cabinet had the ultimate yes/no decision for each one.

9) The attacks continued and there was no obvious way out. There was a clear danger of the country slipping towards civil war.

10) Prayuth got everyone together and asked Pheu-Thai is they would back down from the current position. They refused and so he announced the coup.

This is the reality : I watched it all closely from start to finish - including social media which taught me what a disgrace the Thai press really is. The leaders in that industry are truly bought.

Suthep surely wanted the coup because there was no other way reforms would ever happen and people would stop getting murdered. It doesn't mean Prayuth was colluding with him. I am 100% certain that Prayuth tried everything he could to avoid it. He has given up a comfortable retirement for his country and will need to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life because of it.

Of course I realise that most red-shirts here are not interested in the truth. They just want the field of corruption open so they might get rich one day without having to earn it. It's this complete lack of ethics which means Thailand is doomed to stay EXACTLY as it is for many years to come.

To anyone with any sense who watched the whole thing unfold, it is pretty clear what happened :

1) After the amnesty bill, protestors took to the streets in huge numbers demanding political reform.

3) Pheu-Thai tried to run an election during emergency law in order to use that mandate as a reason to continue as they were.

4) They scored about 30% of the vote even though >90% of polling stations were open. That route clearly did not work.

5) To try and get rid of the protestors, UDD terrorists were put on the streets to murder innocent people with M79 grenade attacks.

6) Despite the large number of attacks, the corrupt police did not arrest a single one. In fact, they were seen aiding the terrorists for safe passage.

7) Things were getting so bad, the Army had to start manning check points and do the job of the police. That's when Prayuth announced the Army were taking control of security.

8) Pheu-Thai point blank refused to be involved in any reform unless their own cabinet had the ultimate yes/no decision for each one.

9) The attacks continued and there was no obvious way out. There was a clear danger of the country slipping towards civil war.

10) Prayuth got everyone together and asked Pheu-Thai is they would back down from the current position. They refused and so he announced the coup.

This is the reality : I watched it all closely from start to finish - including social media which taught me what a disgrace the Thai press really is. The leaders in that industry are truly bought.

Suthep surely wanted the coup because there was no other way reforms would ever happen and people would stop getting murdered. It doesn't mean Prayuth was colluding with him. I am 100% certain that Prayuth tried everything he could to avoid it. He has given up a comfortable retirement for his country and will need to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life because of it.

Of course I realise that most red-shirts here are not interested in the truth. They just want the field of corruption open so they might get rich one day without having to earn it. It's this complete lack of ethics which means Thailand is doomed to stay EXACTLY as it is for many years to come.

Thanks, nice summary. I was there, it was a scary few weeks!

You seem to have missed the bit where Suthep confirmed that he had been working with Prayut since 2010 on planning the coup and subsequently had to go and hide in a temple.

party line swallowed, hook line and sinker.:)

2) The elected government dropped the amnesty bill when it was voted down.

3) The government attempted to secure a new mandate from the Thai people. Opponents illegally blocked polling stations.

5) Don't remember reading any proof of this.

6) Seen by whom?

7) Things got bad because the army refused the elected government's request to assist the police in maintaining law and order. Unlike when Abhisit's unelected government made a similar request.

8) Again you confuse Pheu Thai with the lawfully elected government whose cabinet have the RIGHT and DUTY to make yes/no decisions.

9) The army could/should have supported the lawful government and helped to arrest the insurrectionists.

10) It seems then that you are saying the army did not suggest that the insurrectionists should back down and obey the law. Did they really suggest that the lawful government should back down? Over what? Their resounding election victory?

No I'm not a red shirt or a yellow shirt. I'm not even Thai, just an outsider who believes that a democratically elected government should be obeyed by all. No exceptions but especially police and armed services.

Suthep said several times he was negotiating with Prayuth and that Prayuth was on his side and that it would not take long anymore ...
Prayuth had do deny these statements in the media.
In the end we had a coup (as Suthep predicted).
Mr. Suthep became a monk.
Red shirt leaders were sent to jail.

In the beginning I wanted to give the army a chance, but now it's pretty clear they won't leave anymore unless something really bad happens.
If they really have 80 to 90% support like the first post claims they could always get into politics and have elections.
Success guaranteed - no international problems - no economy going down the drain.

Edited by kriswillems

Amazing that there are still any people left who believe this claptrap.

3) The government attempted to secure a new mandate from the Thai people. Opponents illegally blocked polling stations.

6) Seen by whom?

7) Things got bad because the army refused the elected government's request to assist the police in maintaining law and order. Unlike when Abhisit's unelected government made a similar request.

8) Again you confuse Pheu Thai with the lawfully elected government whose cabinet have the RIGHT and DUTY to make yes/no decisions.

9) The army could/should have supported the lawful government and helped to arrest the insurrectionists.

10) It seems then that you are saying the army did not suggest that the insurrectionists should back down and obey the law. Did they really suggest that the lawful government should back down? Over what? Their resounding election victory?

No I'm not a red shirt or a yellow shirt. I'm not even Thai, just an outsider who believes that a democratically elected government should be obeyed by all. No exceptions but especially police and armed services.

AFAIR the PTP did NOT drop the amnesty bill but withdrew it from the Senate. However after a 6 month period the bill could have been brought before parliament once again. If it was I am fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that it would NOT have gone to the Senate for the second time but it would have been voted on in the lower house and with the PTP majaority it would have passed into law.

This was probably another reason that parliament was dissolved and a new election called for. If the PTP had won that election then unless the Army had a coup against the government the PTP could still have been in power and the amnesty bill passed into law.

OTOH when the caretaker government was eventually cancelled that amnesty bill died completely and can never be brought back though another can be proposed in its place by any government with an overall majority in both houses. Without that overall majority it will probably fail again.

They shouldn't have conducted the coup they should have let the PTP get ripped apart by the destitute rice farmer after three rank and file redshirt deserted them and Thanks in threatened Ying luck with a prison term if she resigned like she wanted to.

You seem to have missed the bit where Suthep confirmed that he had been working with Prayut since 2010 on planning the coup and subsequently had to go and hide in a temple.

And Suthep wouldn't lie, would he?

6) Seen by whom?

AFAIR the PTP did NOT drop the amnesty bill but withdrew it from the Senate. However after a 6 month period the bill could have been brought before parliament once again. If it was I am fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that it would NOT have gone to the Senate for the second time but it would have been voted on in the lower house and with the PTP majaority it would have passed into law.

This was probably another reason that parliament was dissolved and a new election called for. If the PTP had won that election then unless the Army had a coup against the government the PTP could still have been in power and the amnesty bill passed into law.

OTOH when the caretaker government was eventually cancelled that amnesty bill died completely and can never be brought back though another can be proposed in its place by any government with an overall majority in both houses. Without that overall majority it will probably fail again.

You remember correctly. Yingluck repeatedly lied saying all versions of the bill had been cancelled. In fact, all versions had, apart from the one that was amended to whitewash her brother. As long has PTP held on to power long enough for when it was returned they could then simply vote it into law without sending it back to the senate.

And that was a big part of why they wouldn't resign, tried to force through an election despite the EC's advice, and wanted to cling to power.

All to do with the wishes of one man and sod everything and everybody else.

"What a load of typical claptrap most of these comments are.

Of course I realise that most red-shirts here are not interested in the truth. They just want the field of corruption open so they might get rich one day without having to earn it. It's this complete lack of ethics which means Thailand is doomed to stay EXACTLY as it is for many years to come."

==========================================================

Probably most people don't know how their cars work yet don't mind driving. Similarly. most people don't have any clue how their minds work yet are quite happy to stand up and spout all kinds of nonsense and end up looking foolish. The above post reflects just that.

"This is the reality :" No, it's your interpretation of the things you saw. Since you did not see everything, its London to a brick that your mind inventively filled the gaps with speculations distorted by your own prejudices.

"I watched it all closely from start to finish" From your armchair or a barstool maybe. You listened to what other people interpreted as fact, which you reinterprated prior to pontificating to anyone else who would listen. Social media - aren't you a little old to facebook and twitter? Don't you know about 'social media'? Don't you know why Thais really love it and why many Thais are addicted to it? No? You should do, and you ought to feel embarrassed that you take it seriously.

And the rest of the above nonsense is party line BS, which you heard someone else say and which it pleased you to believe.

You should seriously consider getting a life or laying off the booze, it's really not helping you.

"What a load of typical claptrap most of these comments are." So far as I can see, this is the only thing you said which is anywhere near being reasonable Other people have different opinions tto you, and that they might actually be better informed.

Another rabid Thaksin-hater with a chip on his shoulder. You might usefully consider whose opinion you are simply and mindlessly regurgitating and stop listening to them, but then I'm sure you're more than comnfortable in the belief that the world is conforming to your point of view. Pattaya is it?

They are saying he defamed the army by claiming they were ordered to hold the coup? And this makes a court case? My lordy Lord.

And just to top it off they also want to say who can and cannot run for parliament.

Amazing that there are still any people left who believe this claptrap.

His timeline and descriptive looks reasonable. He missed out colorful details about specific attacks, the release of those caught doing attacks, calling for a break up of the country, etc. But that's detail.

Now, the underlying reasons that created the context for those events to fold out is a different topic as well you know.

"What a load of typical claptrap most of these comments are.

Of course I realise that most red-shirts here are not interested in the truth. They just want the field of corruption open so they might get rich one day without having to earn it. It's this complete lack of ethics which means Thailand is doomed to stay EXACTLY as it is for many years to come."

==========================================================

Probably most people don't know how their cars work yet don't mind driving. Similarly. most people don't have any clue how their minds work yet are quite happy to stand up and spout all kinds of nonsense and end up looking foolish. The above post reflects just that.

"This is the reality :" No, it's your interpretation of the things you saw. Since you did not see everything, its London to a brick that your mind inventively filled the gaps with speculations distorted by your own prejudices.

"I watched it all closely from start to finish" From your armchair or a barstool maybe. You listened to what other people interpreted as fact, which you reinterprated prior to pontificating to anyone else who would listen. Social media - aren't you a little old to facebook and twitter? Don't you know about 'social media'? Don't you know why Thais really love it and why many Thais are addicted to it? No? You should do, and you ought to feel embarrassed that you take it seriously.

And the rest of the above nonsense is party line BS, which you heard someone else say and which it pleased you to believe.

You should seriously consider getting a life or laying off the booze, it's really not helping you.

"What a load of typical claptrap most of these comments are." So far as I can see, this is the only thing you said which is anywhere near being reasonable Other people have different opinions tto you, and that they might actually be better informed.

Another rabid Thaksin-hater with a chip on his shoulder. You might usefully consider whose opinion you are simply and mindlessly regurgitating and stop listening to them, but then I'm sure you're more than comnfortable in the belief that the world is conforming to your point of view. Pattaya is it?

Some people claim anyone who makes a negative comment about Israel is anti-semitic. Regardless whether the comment is true or not.

Some people claim anyone who makes a negative comment about homosexuals is homophobic. Regardless whether the comment is true or not.

Some people claim anyone who makes a negative comment about immigrants is racist. Regardless of whether the comment is true or not.

Some people claim anyone who makes a negative comment about the previous government are rabid Thaksin haters. Regardless of whether the comment is true or not.

Seems fashionable now for some to insult the messenger regardless of the message if they happen not to like it.

"THE ARMY staged the coup on May 22 last year on its own and was not influenced by any particular group of people"

An absolute an unequivocal lie.

The country was destabilised and spiralling into economic ruin as shown by all economic indicators. Tourist numbers were plummeting and the lowest level Thailand had seen in decades and this was all exacerbated by govt supporting terrorists killing over 25 protestors and injuring 600 more while acting freely, openly and with impunity with not a single arrest by the govt.

This coup was heavily influenced by a particular group. The red shirts. Proven again and again to be the root cause of so much unnecessary blood shed in a county that yearns for democracy, stability and peace.

And Suthep wouldn't lie, would he?

Hmmm. Suthep is a corrupt ex-politician who was forced to resign as an MP because of impending corruption charges., He is a gangstar - the palm-oil king.

Apart from the ridiculous Suthep, my opinion is this:

The complexity of the coup on it's own makes it apparent it was carefully planned - apparent that is to anyone smarter than a carrot or a bole-weevil.

When you then look at the build-up, it is clear that the civil service, the judiciary, the army and others were involved in what seems to have been a very large and very organised treason - acceptance of which, after 18 previous treasons, is now firmly embedded in the lamentable Thai culture.

Anyone who agrees with the OP probably also also believes in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

It is remarkably satisfying to note that the conspirators are right now in the process of falling out among themselves - at least according to Pravin. And if I had to choose between his reporting and and the blathering of some barstool-squatting ex-pat, I think I'll go with Pravin - he has a bit more credibility.

Love the replies to your comment.

Typical UDD fashion of condescension, belittling and denouncement due to an inability to articulate an intelligent rebuttal.

You hit a nerve, you have stated FACTS (PTP's greatest enemy) and so according to them you obviously drink too much!!

Relish the replies my friend, it proves you are correct.

Edited by djjamie