My Bank Has Changed My Account Number.

Hi All

About a week ago I submitted my Marriage Extension at Chiang Mai immigration. This is my 6th extension and everything went smoothly. no problems and it is now under review.

I have just found out that SCB, who I bank with are in the process of changing all bank account numbers, not just mine but everybody (as far as I can work out) who banks with them. So I have the same account but a new number. Everything in my visa application has my old account number. There is a very good chance that I am not the only expat out there this might affect.

I have spoken to the bank, and they have said ' its no problem. if immigration call us we will explain that we have recently changed all the account numbers'.

Does anybody out there think this is a major issue with my application, or am I worrying about nothing.......unsure.png

Many thanks.

Just checked online vs. my passbooks.

No change at all.

I am quite certain that there is a misunderstanding/lost in translation.

Not by chance: your "old" account was a fixed deposit account that matured?

And they routinely rolled it over to a new account (if you don't tell them to take the fingers off)?

Did you get a new passbook for this new number?

If so, you will have trouble at the immigration office if the new account does not fulfill the seasoning requirement.

• Like 2

What kind of account?

That is very surprising to hear.

I have SCB savings account with passbook.

The passbook has the account number on it.

I don't see how they can change the account number without changing the passbook.

I can see how this would be a problem with immigration.

I would also be a problem for a lot of things like preset wire agreements stating the current account number.

Have never heard of a bank doing such a thing to all accounts.

Perhaps some accounts if they have been compromised.

I have the same account as you and I have had it for 6 years. It has always been excepted by immigration.The girl in the bank wrote down my new number and it's different than what is in my bank book. She did not offer to give me a new book as yet. My wife, who has the same type of account received a letter today from SCB explaining why her number is changing. I am still none the wiser.

So what does it say in the letter as to WHY the number change?

The letter is in Thai, which I can not read and my wife's English when it comes to issues like banking is not that strong. We are going to the branch that the accounts were opened tomorrow morning to try and get to the bottom of it. And then probably immigration......

So what does it say in the letter as to WHY the number change?

The letter is in Thai, which I can not read and my wife's English when it comes to issues like banking is not that strong. We are going to the branch that the accounts were opened tomorrow morning to try and get to the bottom of it. And then probably immigration......

It really sounds like an isolated incident.

Without seeing the letter impossible to judge.

If just the first three digits have changed, it could be something with merging branches?

Edited by KhunBENQ

So Green Bank shuts down for a couple of Days without advising customers, Purple Bank changes account numbers withut advising cutomers, anyone prediciding what Blue, Yellow or Pink Bank will do ?

Kasikorn did about everything it could to warn customers aside from sponsoring a parade past your house. There were even 4 or 5 separate mentions of it on Thai Visa, including a multipage thread.

And, apparently SCB will also be shutting down ATMs in August : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842191-scb-atm-service-nationwide-will-be-temporarily-offline-for-enhancement/?p=9645491&hl=%2Bkasikorn

• Like 2

So Green Bank shuts down for a couple of Days without advising customers, Purple Bank changes account numbers withut advising cutomers, anyone prediciding what Blue, Yellow or Pink Bank will do ?

Probably nothing, unless there is more money in it for them, after all, they are banks.

Immigration is your first problem. If you are a US citizen, the account number change is going to need to be reflected when you file you FBAR FinCEN Report 114 next year.

I'd fire them. Imho, Bangkok Bank provides more robust banking services for US citizens. If you're not a US citizen? I'd still fire them, pull my money out, and place in in to bank that has some customer service skills.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I've banked with SCB for 11 years.

Never had a problem, I hold saving, fixed depost, a mortgage and an unsecured credit card with them.

Customer service has always been fine. My account numbers haven't changed in that time.

I also got the email regards ATM's on August the 8th. - A whooping 6 hours without service 11pm to 5am - hardly a big deal is it.

Dear Customers,

Please be advised that Siam Commercial Bank will temporarily close its ATM system nationwide for upgrading from 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 8, 2015 to 5.00 a.m. on Sunday, August 9, 2015. The upgraded system will support the growing number of transactions and enhance security.

During the upgrade period, the following services will be temporarily unavailable:

1. SCB ATM / Debit / Speedy / MCMC Prompt cards will be unusable in all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

2. SCB Credit Cards will be unusable for cash advances at all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

3. Fund transfer to and from other banks via SCB Easy Net and Easy App will be unavailable.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 1

Why not just take the bank's word for it and stop what seems to be unnecessary worrying...they said they will explain all to Immigration if they call them or you could get it in writing from the bank and have it ready, if you feel that might alleviate your concerns.

Edited by dotpoom

I've banked with SCB for 11 years.

Never had a problem, I hold saving, fixed depost, a mortgage and an unsecured credit card with them.

Customer service has always been fine. My account numbers haven't changed in that time.

I also got the email regards ATM's on August the 8th. - A whooping 6 hours without service 11pm to 5am - hardly a big deal is it.

Dear Customers,

Please be advised that Siam Commercial Bank will temporarily close its ATM system nationwide for upgrading from 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 8, 2015 to 5.00 a.m. on Sunday, August 9, 2015. The upgraded system will support the growing number of transactions and enhance security.

During the upgrade period, the following services will be temporarily unavailable:

1. SCB ATM / Debit / Speedy / MCMC Prompt cards will be unusable in all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

2. SCB Credit Cards will be unusable for cash advances at all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

3. Fund transfer to and from other banks via SCB Easy Net and Easy App will be unavailable.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

I'm talking about Kasikorn, unless SCB also follows suit and changes account numbers. This has tax implications for foreigners, and to just act like "Mai Bpen Freaking Rai" is not the correct answer.

When GSB did it some years ago, it was because they wanted to shortened the account numbers as the old ones were too long. But the old account numbers were still usable several years after the change.

Don't know about SCB, but Kasikorn had all their services stopped last weekend (from Friday 22:00 till Monday morning) in order to move to a new computerized system. About 2 weeks ago I was told by a teller at my branch that the current account numbering system has run out of numbers for new accounts, and they are adding digits the account numbers. Asked how will it effect me, she said it won't. They'll just add some '0' in front of my current account number. On Friday I went to the bank just to verify the closing times of the system, and the brunch manager said the same - the current system can't accommodate new accounts anymore. However - he said the new account numbering system will be completely different from what it is now, and obviously existing account numbers will change.

At the moment, in all the banks it is the same system:

xxx-x-xxxxx-x where the left most 2 digits are bank's brunch number, the single digit is type of account (1=current, 2 = savings, 3 = fixed savings) and the rest of the digits are the actual account number. At the moment each branch stocks pre-numbered empty bank book with which to open new accounts.

The new system the account numbering will be handled by the bank's head office, and the account number will no longer refer to the brunch....

I assume all big banks will change to a new similar system in the near future, and I am sure immigration people are aware of such changes.

• Like 1

Green bank DID notify. I got an email from them about a week before:

FDFS15084.jpg

For US citizens who have no need to file a FBAR, multiple account numbers in a given year is meaningless (other than something to talk about, I suppose).

I have to file the online FBAR (and the 8938 form with my income tax return) and, while my two account numbers at SCB have not changed, it won't make any difference to me if they do as I'll just use whatever number is on the accounts as of the last day of the year. Presuming SCB might report new and old account numbers to the IRS or Treasury and it creates some confusion, I'll worry about that later if/when I ever get an inquiry letter.

I do agree there's a bit of built-in confusion on both forms when it comes to anyone who, as mentioned, has a timed account, it matures, and you "roll it over" into a new account with a new number. In that case (it's happened to me), I end up having to report both account numbers and the highest amount at any one time in the year for each account - which makes it look (to someone reading the form) that I actually have more money in the bank than I actually do. But, again, it's relatively easy to do both the online fFBAR and the 8938 form.

• Like 1

Perhaps they are adding numbers in-front to comply with international or IBAN standards?

All depends on the immigration official, some can be pedantic,others are more realistic.

Why can SCB not modify their standard letter to include a statement on the numerical change?

Changing account numbers is nothing compared to what my bank did. I opened an account with Bangkok Metropolitan Bank (Beach Rd Branch) and when I returned the bank was gone. I found out I now had an account at Siam City Bank (2nd Rd).

I returned from another trip and again couldn't find my bank. I seldom went in person after setting up direct payment of phone and electric bills. I knew I was within a block or so of where I thought it was and as I was driving by Thanachart Bank I glanced over and recognized a manager from Siam City Bank. I stopped and went in and found out I now had a Thanachart Bank account. The branch stayed in the same location, they just remodeled and changed colors.

There are a few advantages for me if I have a Bangkok Bank account but rather than open one I figure it'll just happen by itself someday.

• Like 1